- Synthesis of biomaterials and biomineralization, wherein a living organism provides an environment that controls the nucleation and growth of unique mineral phases.
- Synthesis and characterization of self-assembly of block copolymers.
- Nanostructured composites and polymeric biomaterials production and analysis.
- Consulting on artificial implants, drug delivery systems and medical devices
1992 â€“ Present Assistant Professor, working in university schools of:
- Bioengineering and Nanoscience in Advanced Medicine
- Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation
- Biological Materials, Restorative Dentistry and Bioengineering
- Materials Science and Engineering.
Honors & Publications
- Member, American Chemical Society, American Association for the Advancement of Science, Materials Research Society, Society for Biomaterials, International Association for Dental Research
Patents and thirty publications addressing self-assembly, biomaterials, silicate nanocomposites, lipsomes, nanocomposite organoceramics, DOPA-PEG, biomineralization strategy. Some Selected Publications:
- "Chiral Self-Assembly of Nanotubules and Ribbons from Phospholipid Mixtures.â€
- "Synthesis and Characterization of Self-Assembling Block Copolymers Containing Adhesive Moieties.â€
- "Phospholipid Strategies in Biomineralization and Biomaterials Research.â€
- â€Controlled Release of Calcium from Lipid Vesicles: Adaptation of a Biological Strategy for Rapid Gelation of Polysaccharide and Protein Hydrogels.â€
- "High Temperature Chemical and Microstructural Transformations of Nanocomposite Organoceramics.â€
- "Sythesis and Characterization of Layered Silicate-Epoxy Nanocomposites.â€
- Ph. D., Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Illinois at Urbana
- M. S., Department of Bioengineering, Clemson University
- B. S., School of Life Sciences, University of Illinois at Urbana