- Laser cooling and trapping - Diode laser systems and producing atoms used in nano fabrications.
- RF-Microwave Circuit/System Design - narrow and broadband small signal and high power low noise amplifiers.
- Instrumentation and Control Systems - monitor RF power output.
- Writing - research reports, proposals, grants, instructional materials, operation and maintenance manuals.
- Antenna system for air-to-ground communication.
- Nuclear particle gas detectors.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert witness for reconstruction of auto accidents.
Undisclosed Firm, Physicist and Engineer, 1999 - Present
- Developing tabletop nanomanufacturing system, to directly pattern a substrate with nanoparticles of metals, semiconductors, dielectric and biomolecules, with nanometer resolution.
- Develop a serial, laser writing nanomanufacturing process.
- System uses sub-wavelength optics, to improve resolution.
- Performed preliminary research to develop nanorobots for a nano medical imaging system.
- Wrote proposal (Proposal for a Vascular Cartographic Scanning Nanomedical Imaging Device) to fund project.
- Ball milling process to produce nanoparticles.
- Researched the use of ink jet printing to produce RFID tags.
- Nanofabrication techniques can be used to develop projects for the sustainability program.
Superior Alternative Energies, Laurium, MI, Physicist and Engineer, 2006 - Present
- Developing 10 kW vertical axis wind turbine (VAWT) for home/business markets.
- Modeled and simulated VAWT using Matlab to calculate rotor size, rotational speed and power output.
- Built prototype rotor and tested its operation at different wind speeds.
- Designing NdFeB (Neodymium) permanent magnet generator to produce 3-phase power.
- Developing PEM fuel cell that uses a nanostructured catalyst to increase energy efficiency.
- Developing high efficiency, flexible, low cost, printable solar cells.
Tennessee Tech University, Cookville, TN, Visiting Assistant Physics Professor, 2002 - 2003
- Initiated interdisciplinary nanotechnology research at the university.
- Coauthored NSF NIRT proposal to develop a direct writing nanolithography process, incorporating a self-assembling polymer template.
- Developed piezoelectric nano surface machining process.
- Co-authored several journal articles with colleagues and graduate students.
- Supervised nanotechnology research projects of several graduate students, including research on using nano coatings on artificial hip joints to extend the life of the prosthesis.
- Analyzed Biological samples in the microscopy lab using a Quanta environmental SEM and a EDAX mass spectrometer made by FEI Company.
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, Research and Graduate Student,1996 -1999
- Developed computer models and ran simulations of laser, optical forces, on nanoparticles inside hollow optical fibers.
- Analyzed spectrum of nanoparticles particles in a 3D optical trap.
- Patterned substrates with nanoparticles using laser guidance in hollow optical fibers.
- Built tunable 780nm external cavity diode laser and electronic laser control circuitry.
- Built magnetic-optical trap (MOT) to produce a cold atomic beam.
- Built ultra low vacuum system to pump down the MOT.
- Made metal parts for MOT in the machine shop.
- Wrote dissertation: Laser Guidance of Mesoscale Particles.
Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI, Graduate Research Assistant, 1992 - 1995
- Built nuclear particle, multiwire, gas detector for giant nuclear resonance experiment.
- Used detector in experiments at Michigan State and GANIL Labs, Caen France.
- Collected data for future analysis.
- Wrote thesis: A Light Ion Focal Plane Multiwire Detector.
BIF Accutel (General Signal), Camarillo, CA, System Engineer, 1985 - 1986
- Designed supervisory control data acquisition (SCDA) systems.
- Wrote ladder logic to control the SCDA systems.
- Built SCDA systems for Chicago, Dallas and others smaller cities.
California Amplifier, RF/Microwave Engineer, Camarillo, CA, Electrical Engineer, 1983 - 1984
- Designed low noise block down converter (LNBC) for satellite TV systems.
- Modeled/simulated LNBC with Touchstone microwave CAD software.
- Designed electrical filters to shape response of LNBC.
- Used Smith charts and s-parameters to design Bipolar and FET amplifiers.
- Designed oscillator and mixer.
- Analyzed prototype with a HP network analyzer.
- Design of narrow and broadband and stripline technology.
Phelps Dodge Communications, Phoenix, AZ, Electrical Engineer, 1981 - 1983
- Designed electronic instrumentation to monitor RF power output and VSWR (voltage standing wave ratio) of communication systems.
Goodyear aerospace, Goodyear, AZ, Engineering Technician, 1981
- Worked on various classified counter measure and counter-counter measure projects.
Rockwell Collins, Cedar rapids, IA, Engineering technician, 1979 - 1981
- Built and tested antenna tuner for frequency hopping communications system.
- Michigan Tech University, Physics Department, Houghton, MI, Adjunct Assistant Professor.
- Keweenaw Bay Ojibwa Community College, Baraga, MI, Instructor.
- Tennessee Tech University, Cookville, TN , Instructor.
- Northern Michigan University, Marquette, MI, Instructor for courses: College Physics, Electronics Instrumentation for Physicist.
- University of Wisconsin, Oshkosh, WI, Instructor.
- Mid Michigan Community College, Mt. Pleasant, MI, Instructor.
- Central Michigan University, Mt. Pleasant, MI, Instructor.
- Michigan State University, Lansing, MI, Instructor.
- Houghton, MI, Physics Department, Adjunct Assistant Professor.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Electronics and Communications Technology
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Physical Society
- Society of Physics Students
- Sigma Pi Sigma, Physics Honor Society
- Physics Honor Society
Publications and Patents
- National and International Publications: Thesis, Abstract, Dissertation, Research Papers and Articles.
- National Presentations
- 2 U.S. Patents and 1 Invention Disclosure
- Ph.D. Atomic, Molecular and Optical Physics, Michigan Technological University, Ann Arbor, MI
- M.S. Nuclear Physics, Central Michigan University, Aberdeen, MD
- B. S. Physics and Mathematics, Central Michigan University, Aberdeen, MD