- Plastic expert for extrusion, resin selections, specialized coatings and polymer-based products and plastic composites.
- Vacuum sputtered metallic coatings on thin film plastics for residential and architectural glazing products.
- Plastics and composites for building materials, including polymer systems based on PVC, CPVC, Surlyn® , acrylics, styrenics and polyurethane foams.
- Weathering of plastics.
- Metal treating and corrosion prevention.
- Surfactant use and design.
- Strategic planning and tactical implementation.
- Extensive international experience - manufacturing, marketing, customer interactions.
- Expert witness, particularly for plastics used in building products.
Independent Consultant, 2008 - Present
- Fine and industrial chemical manufacturing and handling, polymer design and processing, coatings, corrosion identification and prevention with plastic and metallic substrates.
- Extrusion of PVC, CPVC, Surlyn® , acrylics, styrenics and other polymers and polymer composite blends.
- Extrusion process and material formulating for extrusion, and identification and resolution of field problems.
- Predicting weathering performance of plastics.
- Building product manufacture, development and testing for environmental performance including insulating (PUR/PIR/phenolic/VIP/aerogel filled), structural, fire resistant, metal skinned panels, laminated panels, windows and doors for high insulating performance and specialty performance such as security, bullet and bomb resistant.
- Strategic planning, new, improved, and more environmentally friendly product development, implementation, cost improvement and commercialization, project management, field issue resolution both product repair and addressing of legal issues.
- Successful expert witness experience for clients in the building products arena, including cases for Centria, Trex and Penn Color.
Veka Incorporated, Fombell, PA, Director of Research and Development, 2003 - 2008
- Responsible for all new product development, new material evaluations and formulations and new process development -- extrusion, lamination and paint and coatings.
- Responsible for the compound lab which tests all materials used by several plants, in excess of 200 million lbs. of products yearly.
- Developed and commercialized several new products resulting in multi-million dollars of added sales.
- Through the use of new technologies and new materials substantially reduced raw material costs with equal to or increased performance products.
Southwall Technologies Incorporated, Palo Alto, CA, Product Manager, 2000 - 2003
- In Architectural Products Group, global responsibility for Heat Mirror and Heat Mirror Laminated products, vacuum sputtered metallic coatings on thin film plastics, aimed at residential and architectural glazing products.
- Managed and prioritized developmental and approved projects for both product lines, resulting in more efficient resource management.
- Established and led Architectural Products Quality Team, resulting in large manufacturing efficiency improvement up to 50%.
- Interfaced with customers and suppliers to resolve problems, meet specifications, and develop/commercialize new products.
- Created and/or revised technical marketing literature for global distribution, resulting in several new potential customers.
Hurd Millwork Company, Medford, WI, Director of Research and Development, 1998 - 2000
- Responsibility for all new product development, quality, testing and code body certification for several window plants, field service, and materials selection/purchasing for specialty products.
- Implemented return to inert gas filled insulated glass units utilizing latest technology.
- Directed design of advanced filling and quality control insulated glass units (IGU) manufacturing equipment, and IGU manufacturing.
- Implemented new composite platform for future windows/doors for Energy Star compliance during 2000.
BMC Industries, Cortland, NY, Vice President, Worldwide Technology, 1993 - 1998
- As Chief Technical Officer for the Precision Etched Products Group, major responsibilities included creation of multi-national, interdisciplinary groups focused on research and development, leading process improvement design efforts, and discovering new business opportunities.
- Unified multi-national research and development efforts to provide clear objectives, resulting in process improvements and quicker technology transfer between U.S. and German operations.
- Formulated and implemented strategies for hazardous waste reduction that resulted in process improvement and lower costs.
Micro Vesicular Systems, Nashua, NH, Senior VP, Research and Development, 1992 - 1993
- As the senior technical officer, directed the non-phospholipid liposome and Ultrasponge™ technologies for use in medical, pharmaceutical, and industrial applications.
PPG Industries, Pittsburgh, PA, Associate Director, Specialty Chemicals, 1990 - 1992
- Unification of multi-site surfactant research facilities into singular research and development Group.
H.H. Robertson Company, Pittsburgh, PA, Vice President, Chemical Technology, 1976 - 1990
- Responsible for development and commercialization of multiple coated metal and insulating curtain wall products, resulting in significant global sales.
Celanese Coatings Company, Project Leader, Research Chemist, and Group Leader, 1972 - 1976
- Conducted exploratory research and development across several product lines and led the electrodeposition group.
Honors & Publications
- DuPont Teaching Award (2 years)
- Who's Who in Science and Engineering
- Post-doctoral Fellowship (College of Pharmacy), University of Florida
- Numerous business and technology management university short courses.
- Certified Professional Chemist - American Institute of Chemists
- Workable knowledge of German
- Extensive list of publications and patents.
- Ph.D. Chemistry, University of Florida
- M.S. Chemistry, Michigan Technical University
- B.S. Chemistry, Wayne State University