Industrial Chemist - Engineer
Technical Consultant #735
- Organosilicones: surfactants, emulsions, foams, antifoams, silane coupling agents.
- Water soluble polymers, gums and resins, poly (ethylene oxide), polyethylene glycol, polyacrylamide.
- Colloid and surface chemistry: stability of dispersions, wetting and spreading phenomena, suspensions and emulsions, clays, paint and coatings, personal care, cosmetics.
- Flocculating agents.
- Applied rheology and designed product flow behavior, rheology modification of non-aqueous media.
- Medical technology.
- Chemical product litigation/product liability analysis/personal injury.
- Expanding technology transfer at the industrial-academic interface.
New Product Development:
- Creative Problem Solving in the formulation, optimization and testing of new and existing consumer and industrial products.
- Water soluble polymers, rheology, surface and interfacial chemistry, surface active agents, foams, emulsions, antifoams, lubricants, flocculants, and dispersions.
Product Liability Analysis:
- Household and industrial products: Safety in design, formulations, packaging and handling.
- Fires and Explosions: Flammable liquids and gases; flammable fabrics.
- Properties and safe handling of hazardous materials and waste, materials science behavior/properties, codes and standards analysis (ASTM, ANSI, OSHA, UL).
Technical and product experience includes, but is not limited to:
- Fires and Explosions: cause and origin; aerosols, drain cleaners, primer/sealers, furnaces, ovens, tire inflators, spontaneous combustion, linseed oil, liquefied gases, lacquers and thinners, solvents, gasoline, fire extinguishers and welding.
- Acids, bases, chlorinated solvents, diesel fuel, diisocyanates, alcohols, formaldehyde, hydrocarbons, hydrogen sulfide, mercaptans, naphtha, nitrosamines, potassium/ sodium hydroxide, sulfuric acid, vinyl acetate.
- Adhesives, air fresheners, glues, insecticides, fuels, paints, pesticides, roach sprays, stain, gasoline, windshield washer fluids, brandy.
- Drain cleaners, grease strippers, hair removers, refrigerants, ink cleaners.
- Allergic sensitivity, adverse chemical reactions, diesel fume exhaust, enzymes, combustion toxicology, industrial chemicals, and household products.
Undisclosed Company, President, 1992 - Present
- Consultation to attorneys in product liability analysis and chemical safety issues.
- Review and analysis of over 250 product liability cases.
- Consultation on intellectual property matters including patent infringement cases.
- Consultation to major chemical and medical products corporations for new product development.
- Filed over 18 EPA applications for pesticide registration.
- Science and medical writer.
- Journalist for Chemical Market Reporter.
- Skilled information research; internet and people networking, PC/Mac literate.
Union Carbide Corporation, (2 sites) NY, Development Scientist, 1973 - 1992
- Provided technical consultation to hundreds of multinational industrial and consumer-oriented companies.
- Responsible for world-wide technical support of POLYOXR (polyethylene oxide).
- Water-Soluble Resins.
- Directed development of new poly (acrylamide) polymer and poly (ethylene oxide) flocculants for industrial clay dispersions including clays, taconite ore and phosphatic slimes.
Project Scientist, 1973 - 1979
- Conceived and patented self-dispersing and transient silicone antifoams.
- Conducted research on fuel combustion; developed silicone additives for increasing fuel combustion efficiency.
- Consulted on effect of silicone surfactants as flame retardants for polyurethane foam.
Research Engineer, 1966 - 1973
- Conducted applied research in silicone surface active agents.
- Enhanced silicone emulsion stability.
- Assembled and classified mathematical models of liquid flow behavior.
- Consultant to major brick companies in development of aqueous-based brick lubricants.
- Developed "Light Water" type aqueous film-forming fire-fighting foam widely used by military and civilians for airplane crash fires.
Honors & Publications
- FRSC, CChem: Chartered Chemist and Fellow - Royal Society of Chemistry (London)
- FAIC, CPC: Certified Professional Chemist and Fellow - American Institute of Chemists, National Certification Commission in Chemistry and Chemical Engineering
- FAIC, CChE: Certified Professional Chemical Engineer and Fellow - American Institute of Chemists, National Certification Commission in Chemistry and Chemical Eng.
- FACFE, BCFE: Fellow and Board Certified Forensic Examiner, American College of Forensic Examiners, Certified in Chemical Engineering. Certified in pain management.
- Burner design, combustion in fired heaters; flare design and operation, furnace operation, John Zink Burner School.
- Fundamentals of Textiles, Clemson University
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Director, Executive Board - Assoc. of Consulting Chemists and Chem. Engineers
- American Chemical Society - Div. of Colloid and Surface Chemistry
- American Society for Testing and Materials - Member of 14 standards-making committees.
- National Association of Science Writers, American Medical Writers Association
- Valor Award, Chemical Processing Magazine.
Publications and Patents
- Author of 4 books, 38 publications in peer reviewed scientific/engineering journals, and 25 invited seminars.
- 20 patents.
- M. S. Polytechnic Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- B. S. Chemical Engineering - Polytechnic Institute of Brooklyn, NY