Structural Adhesive Consultant and Expert Witness
Technical Consultant #474
- Analytical Chemistry.
- Separations Science (GC, SFC, GC/MS, LC, analytical through large-scale prep).
- Results verification (3rd party review for defensibility, adherence to protocols).
- Method modernization and optimization.
- Optimization of laboratory efficiencies and compliance.
- Market assessment (identification, characterization, evaluation).
- Project and product requirements determination and analysis.
- New technology appraisal (for potential acquisition, licensing, funding of development).
- New technology commercialization (from conception through market introduction).
- Competitive analysis.
- Program and project management.
- Product innovation.
- Development and presentation of highly-effective technical training.
- Brand development.
Undisclosed Company, Founder and President, 1988 - Present
- Consulting and training services.
- Scientific instrument business development strategy, product innovation and development, market and technology assessment.
- Identification and development of strategic alliances.
- Chromatography instrument installation, troubleshooting and repair.
- Development and delivery of technical training for users of analytical instrumentation.
JAS INC., Newark, DE, General Manager, 2011 - 2012
- Responsible for all aspects of the U.S. subsidiary of Agilent Technologies' Channel Partner, JAS GmbH.
- Defined successful business strategy.
- Spearheaded rejuvenation of U.S. branding.
- Established and documented new production, sales, marketing, purchasing, IT and HR processes.
- Developed and implemented all tactical plans.
- Oversaw site selection, acquisition, bank funding, relocation, and site improvements including state-of-the-art instrumentation laboratory.
- Recruited staff, defined, formalized and implemented total compensation program.
- Lead implementation of new business accounting, inventory control and order fulfillment systems.
- Evaluated, selected, negotiated contractual agreements and managed all professional services providers and contractors.
- Developed and managed collaborative business partnerships.
- Developed and implemented EHS program.
Agilent Technologies, Inc., Wilmington, DE, 1988 - 2010
New Technology Program Manager, Research and Development
- Technical lead in new-technology and market evaluation programs.
- Developed business proposals for new business growth opportunities.
- Lead the marketing programs for approved projects.
- Managed strategic collaborations with international partners.
- Developed strategic and tactical plans for Capillary Flow Technology products. SME and developer of capillary column backflushing theory and Backflush Wizard automated assistant.
Technology Specialist, CAS Business Development,
- Technical lead in team responsible for identifying and evaluating new potential market spaces and technologies for business expansion.
- Judged capabilities and market potential of proposed new technologies.
- Evaluated chemical sensors in portable and infrastructure monitoring formats for toxic chemical, chemical weapons, and explosives detection.
- Determined technical merit of intellectual property and products being considered for acquisition as well as that of the product portfolios of potential business acquisitions.
- Invented, developed, and marketed capillary flow technology devices for GC.
- Spearheaded requirements gathering, analysis, prioritization and method definition and managed project for a forensics path/tox DRS database solution.
- The solution was soon recognized as the world's most complete, most repeatable, high-accuracy and high-throughput method for commercial forensic analysis of drugs and toxic chemicals.
MS Project Lead, Research and Development, Technology Specialist
- Directed multi-departmental, multi-site teams in Research and Development, Marketing, and Technical Support.
- Implemented new product development lifecycle.
- Lead development and introduction programs of market-leading GC/MS products, including 5973 Inert and 5975 series MSDs.
- Evaluated performance and suitability of new instrumentation prototypes including new MS technology.
- Developed long-term business strategy.
- Recommended potential replacement technologies for current products.
- Developed, commercialized, and championed QuickSwap and several other CFT devices.
Chemical Integrity Measurement Program Manager
- Established and managed the Chemical Integrity Measurement Program, comprising research and development marketing, sales, support, operations, bringing to market performance-leading chemical sensor.
- Developed and implemented 3rd party software development and support agreements.
- Identified, qualified, prioritized and proposed several new market areas and associated technologies for business expansion.
Applications Manager, Senior Applications Chemist
- Lead GC and GC/MS Application Groups in Marketing Department.
- Developed and implemented technical marketing strategy for GC, GC/MS and SFC products and solutions for the environmental, petroleum, chemicals, forensics, and food markets.
- Lead internal and external introductions of several market-leading new products including 6890 and 6850 GCs, SFC, and 5973 MSD.
Smith Kline and French Labs, King of Prussia, PA, Associate Senior Investigator, 1984 1988
- Managed 3 full-time technical people and several visiting scientists for pharmaceutical process development, scale-up, purification and isolation, and environmental impact assessments.
- Developed, validated, and performed methods for analysis of finished products and reaction intermediates.
- Designed and performed novel large scale methods for purification of chemical products.
- Separated and identified impurities in finished products using HPLC, GC, GC/MS, FTIR, and NMR.
DuPont, CR&D, Experimental Station, Wilmington, DE, Associate Senior Scientist, 1981 - 1984
- Developed, validated and implemented state-of-the-art automated on-line analytical methods in support of catalyst development efforts within the Research and Development Physical Sciences Department (and pilot plant).
- Supervised three technicians as well as visiting scientists and co-op students.
- Developed mobile GC/MS system for flexible process analysis and trouble shooting of pilot plant trials.
- Developed TGA/MS for polymer outgassing experiments for polymer development.
- Evaluated and recommended analytical instrumentation for chemical engineering group.
- Consulted on experimental design and data interpretation.
- Collaborated on several interdepartmental research and development projects.
- Developed and characterized potential new GC stationary phases.
Honors & Publications
- Editorial Advisory Board, Journal of Separation Science
- Editorial Board, Journal of Microcolumn Separations
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Chromatography Forum of the Delaware Valley
- American Association for the Advancement of Science - AAAS
- American Society for Testing and Materials International - ASTM
- Friendship Association of Chinese Students and Scholars - FACSS (Program Chairman, General Chairman, Governing Board)
- Center for Process Analytical Chemistry (original organizing committee, technical monitor)
- Agilent LSCA INNOVATION Merit Award
- Agilent Best of Everything Reward
- Chromatography Forum of the Delaware Valley Award
- Merit Award - Society for Technical Communication
- Atlanta Chromatography Discussion Group Student Award
Publications and Patents
- Technical Publications Competition "GC Inlets - An Introduction."
- 55 industrial publications.
- 35 peer-reviewed articles, over 75 industry technical publications, monthly e-journal column.
- 150 presentations at scientific meetings, symposium, seminars.
- 13 awarded U.S. and International Patents, over 19 published patent applications.
- Ph.D. Analytical Chemistry, University of Georgia, Athens, GA
- B.A., Chemistry, The State University of New York, Cortland, NY
- B.A. Minor Biology, The State University of New York, Cortland, NY