- 35 years of technical expertise and field experience in membrane technology and water desalination, treatment and purification industry with hands-on involvement in over 50 large and strategic RO and UF (Reverse Osmosis and Ultrafiltration), plants worldwide.
- Water Desalination: Innovative developer in the areas of seawater, and brackish water desalination and industrial wastewater water purification.
- Water desalination treatment and purification using membrane technology processes of reverse osmosis (RO), nanofiltration (NF), ultrafiltration (UF) and microfiltration (MF).
- Membrane Technologies: Membrane system design, engineering management, factory and site testing, plant startups and commissioning, plant operation and performance monitoring, evaluation, optimization and trouble-shooting.
- Expert Consulting: Water desalination feasibility studies, industry, business and market analyses and evaluation and planning assessments.
- Technology and Product Evaluations: Pilot plant design, setup, trial monitoring and evaluation of existing and new water desalination technologies, processes and products.
- Marketing: Establishing and conducting business in the Middle East and Arabian Gulf markets with a wide and extensive network of key government and private sector decision maker contacts.
- Expert-system software innovation, development, optimization, and licensing the Membrane Alarm technology and Proprietary software solutions, for real-time fouling measurement, system performance, energy and cost monitoring and optimization on a daily basis.
- Training: Practical technology applications training workshops and short courses, (classroom and on-site), as well as designing comprehensive and long-term training programs for plant and O&M engineers, supervisors, operators and technicians in the water desalination and treatment industry.
Undisclosed Company, Founder, President - Chief Consultant and Trainer, 1996 - Present
- Technical consulting in the area of membrane technology applications for drinking/potable desalination and industrial water treatment and purification, including RO, UF and other membrane processes.
- RO/UF membrane desalination plant current operation, performance status and history and cost effectiveness evaluations and optimization recommendations, including commercial and legal claim verification and assessment.
- Worldwide project and proposal development, system specification and process design reviews and optimization, plant start-up assistance, monitoring, evaluation, optimization and trouble-shooting of membrane system operations and maintenance.
- Designing and conducting advanced membrane desalination technology short courses and workshops for standard plant operations, fouling identification and management and plant performance monitoring, trouble-shooting optimization and upgrade.
- Consulting, design and production of world-class and customized plant operating manuals and computer-based training in association with international partner company.
Projects: Middle East - Arabian Gulf
- Conducted RO/UF on-site and analytical evaluations, trouble-shooting and upgrades of dozens of seawater and brackish water desalination plants, especially in the Arabian Gulf, Red Sea and the Gulf of Oman Regions.
- Current, long-term consulting contract with a major international water desalination and power generation provider for monitoring, optimization and trouble-shooting one of the largest and most strategic SWRO plants in the world.
- Ongoing technical consultancy for an international management consulting firm acting on behalf of a Middle East client on a mammoth greenfield project involving state-of-the-art desalination, brine disposal and energy recovery.
- Ongoing consultation for a California client to develop an efficient and permitted SWRO plant under very strict environmental and regulatory conditions.
- Ongoing consultation for a U.S. client to patent, test and develop commercial applications and markets for an innovative seawater desalination technology, process and device with extremely competitive energy efficiency and pretreatment requirements than current thermal and membrane desalination processes.
- Project-Technical and Engineering Director, Operations-Commissioning Manager and Training Consultant for a major Independent Water and Power Projects (IWPP) in the Middle East for 5 years, including:
- Establishment of the first certified water desalination and power generation polytechnical institute for high-school graduates in Saudi Arabia and GCC countries.
- Trouble-shooting, optimization and upgrade of the world's first and largest mobile desalination barges resulting in restoring plant performance and availability from under 20% to over 90%, and transforming the independent project company into profitability from the verge of bankruptcy in less than 2 years.
- Consultancy, engineering oversight and commissioning leadership of a new seawater UF/RO plant from project development to construction to performance testing (factory and site) and commercial operation startup in record 16 months.
- Optimization and trouble-shooting of 160,000 cubic meters a day, Al-Buraidah Brackish RO Desalination Plant for the Ministry of Water and Electricity, Al-Qassim Region, Saudi Arabia.
- Optimization and trouble-shooting of Al Jubail 91,000 cubic meters a day, Seawater RO Desalination Plant for the Saline Water Conversion Corp. (SWCC), Saudi Arabia.
- Evaluating, optimizing and upgrading the six 206,000 cubic meters a day, Riyadh RO Brackish Plants in Saudi Arabia for the Riyadh Water and Sewage Authority.
- Developing, testing and marketing licensing innovative technologies and software applications of the first alarm membrane system, developed exclusively by this company. The system was field and internally tested and approved by DuPont membrane business unit, the pioneer developer and producer of commercial membrane systems.
- The proprietary software was tested, evaluated, validated and, or licensed at over 20 major membrane desalination and filtration plants in the Middle East, U.S.A., Malta and Australia, including those owned and operated by SWCC the largest producer of desalinated water in the world and ARAMCO (Saudi Arabia), the largest producer of oil in the world, South Australia Water Corp and many other water desalination public utilities and private companies.
- Trained over 700 professionals in conjunction with IDA Biannual Congresses on desalination and water re-use, European Desalination Society's (EDS), Annual EuroMed and Desalination and the Environment Conferences, Annual Saudi Water and Power Forum, and International Research - Middle East (IIRME) Water and Wastewater Conference.
- Conducted specialized organization and public training courses for Dubai Electricity and Water Authority - DEWA, Water and Power Company of Jubail and Yanbu - MARAFIQ, Saudi ARAMCO, Middle East Desalination Research Center,(MEDRC), Oman, and the Ministry of Electricity and Water, Bahrain.
- Established the first water desalination and power generation polytechnic training institute in the Middle East, qualifying students as plant operators and maintenance technicians in a 2-year diploma program.
Biosphere 2®, Project-Decision Investments, Oracle, AZ, Director of Technical Marketing, 1993 - 1996
- Market development and optimization of environmental technologies and products; air and water purification and management of commercial testing and healthcare laboratory information.
- Monitoring, upgrading, optimizing and trouble-shooting of Biosphere's water treatment and CO chemical system.
- Designing and implementing environmental waste management compliance programs.
Aqua-Chem, Inc.. Milwaukee, WI, Development Manager, Membranes, 1991 - 1993
- Development and marketing of RO membrane process technology in a new strategic business direction for the company.
- Integrated established technologies to maximize the company's technical and commercial competitive position in the RO membrane industry.
- Led the effort to establish the technical viability and cost effectiveness of membrane technologies in Zero Liquid Discharge (ZLD) applications at power, chemical and other industrial plants.
DuPont Co, Permasep ® Products, Senior Technical Marketing Specialist, 1983 - 1990
- Provided technical and marketing leadership utilizing DuPont's hollow fine-fiber membrane technology in water desalination and industrial treatment systems on sites in the U.S., Switzerland, Saudi Arabia and United Arab Emirates.
- Provided detailed process design reviews, plant startup assistance and performance monitoring, evaluating RO systems, employing polyamide HFF membranes in the Middle East which represented 70% of DuPont's RO membrane business worldwide.
- Spearheaded the technology marketing effort to establish new markets in highly competitive and challenging environments utilizing strategic business partnerships with international licensees, consultants and end users.
- Established and supported marketing strategies to maintain DuPont's leading market presence and continually increase market share through a diverse network of international licensees, especially in the Middle East, Indian Sub-continent, Mediterranean and Europe.
Honors & Publications
- Excellent bilingual and multi-national communications and negotiation skills.
- Large network of industry and decision-making contacts in the Middle-East, Asia, Europe and U.S.A.
- Arabic speaker with fluency in 7 regional dialects and near native speaker and writer of American English. 7 years of professional Arabic and English technical translations, interpretations and technical document and on-site training.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- International Desalination Association (IDA) - Member of the Education Committee.
- European Desalination Society (EDS).
- Water Resources Center - University of Arizona, USA.
- Water and Energy Sustainability Center (WEST) - University of Arizona, USA.
- European Desalination Society (EDS).
- Middle East Desalination Research Center (MDRC).
- Arab Science and Technology Foundation (ASTF)
- Arab Water World Magazine (AWW) - Member of the Editorial Consultants Board Magazine (AWW) - Editorial Consultants Board.
- Authored over 25 publications at major international industry forums and conferences.
- M.Sc Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Georgia Institute of Technology, USA
- B.S. Chemistry, American University in Cairo, Egypt