- Biomaterials and tissue engineering.
- In vitro synthesis of musculoskeletal tissues, especially bone tissue.
- Controlled release of growth factors and effect of material selection.
- Bioactive ceramics, including hydroxyapatite, bioactive glass and bioactive composites.
- Porous metals, especially titanium and its alloys.
- Surface analysis, biocompatability and electrochemical properties, including fretting corrosion resistance.
- Materials engineering, mechanical properties, design and stress analysis.
- Orthopedic and dental applications.
- Implant retrieval and analysis.
Professor of Bioengineering 1991-Present
Professor of Orthopedic Surgery Research 1991-Present
Associate Professor of Materials Science 1984-1987
Associate Professor of Orthopedic Surgery Research 1983-1991
Associate Professor of Bioengineering 1983-1991
Lecturer, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium 1979-1983
Postdoctoral Reearch Fellow, University of Florida 1976-1977
- Materials and Biological Environment
- Design and Selection of Biomaterials
- Biomechanics and Biodesign
- Introduction to Biomaterials
- Advanced Topics in Biomaterials
- European Society for Biomaterials
- Society for Biomaterials, U.S.A.
- European Society Biomechanics
- KVIV: Belgian Engineering Society
- Orthopaedic Research Society, U.S.A.
- American Ceramic Society
Honors & Publications
- 9 Patents issued - United States and European.
- Numerous journal and book publications.
- Extensive guest lecturer nationally and internationally.
Ph.D., Materials Science, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium
Thesis: "Metallic orthopaedic implants with a porous coating"
M.S., Materials Science and Engineering, Katholieke Universiteit, Leuven, Belgium