Ph.D. Wood Science Expert Targeting: Wood Preservatives, Renewable Materials, Coatings, Adhesives and QC/QA
Technical Consultant #2581
- Renewable Materials Chemistry
- Wood Science
- Wood Preservatives
- ISO 9001 compliance.
- Phytochemical Analysis
- Wood (Decomposition, Protection, Modification, Conversion, Composites, and adhesives)
- Microscopy (SEM, TEM, Optical)
- Separations (GC, HPLC, SFC, CE)
- Spectroscopy (FTIR, ICP, MS, SIMS, Raman)
- Adhesives and Coatings
- Project Management
- Experimental Design
- Data Analysis/ and interpretation
- Results Communication
- Method Development and Transfer
- Research and Development, Lab Management, Quality Assurance and Quality Control.
LCLLC, Principal Scientist. 2022 - Present
- Provide client centered consulting and expert witness services with a primary focus of renewable materials chemistry and wood science.
Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI, Senior Research Scientist. 1998 - 2022
Senior Research Scientist 1, Research Scientist 2, Research Scientist 1 (Wood Protection Group)
- Consulting and research areas: Wood (Decomposition, Protection, Modification, Conversion, Composites, Adhesives).
- Microscopy (SEM, TEM, Optical), Separations (GC, HPLC), Spectroscopy (FTIR, ICP, MS, SIMS, Raman).
- Full cycle project management from conception to completion. Full budget responsibility.
- Principal Investigator: 125 Projects, US $3,074,898.
- Co-Principal Investigator: 367 Projects, US $9,989,427.
- Idea generation, experimental design, proposal preparation, data analysis and interpretation.
- Results communication (reports, oral presentations, publications).
- Quality system development, implementation, management (ISO 17025 Accreditation).
Instructor (M.T.U. School of Forestry and Wood Products), 1999- -2000
- Taught: Wood Physics, Wood Manufacturing and Machining.
- Co-Instructor: Wood Mechanics, , Wood Preservation and Seasoning, Wood Technology.
Alpha Chemical & Biomedical Laboratories, Petaluma, CA, Senior Chemist, 1996 -1997
- Executed services: Phytochemical analysis, method development and transfer, lab management, QA/QC, research and development.
- Separations (GC, CE, HPLC, TLC) and Spectroscopy (FTIR, MS, UV/Vis).
- Business development and educational outreach, short course development and delivery.
- Represented lab at meetings and conferences, in trade organizations and standards organizations.
PhytoScience Associates, Redondo Beach, Rohnert Park, CA, Houghton, MI, 1996 - 2003
- Executed services: Phytochemical analysis, method development and transfer, product/technology evaluation.
- Separations (GC, CE, HPLC, SFE, TLC) and spectroscopy (FTIR, MS, UV/Vis).
- Expert Advisor in botanical nutritional supplement and natural products for clients.
- Monograph and white paper development (botanical supplement characterization).
Botanicals International, Long Beach, CA, 1994 - 1996
Analytical Chemistry Manager
- Executed Services Phytochemical analysis, method development and transfer, QA/QC, technical support services.
- Separations (GC, CE, HPLC, TLC) and Spectroscopy (FTIR, UV/Vis).
- Proposed and implemented FTIR fingerprint library for identification of botanical raw materials.
- Proposed and implemented CE as analytical method for quantification of botanical marker compounds.
- Technical service to internal (production and warehousing) and external customers.
- Helped develop and implement quality management system (HACCP, GMP, ISO 9001) compliant.
- Represented company at meetings and conferences, in trade organizations and standards organizations.
E.E.D.E., New Westminster, BC Canada, 1993 - 1994
Co-founder and Chief Science Officer
- Provided business and product development, research and development, formulation coatings, green chemistry and processes.
- Developed and implemented system to convert hotel and restaurant waste into compost.
- Invented the "Kitchen Vermiculator” " to compost kitchen wastes.
- Formulated environmentally friendly coatings.
- Developed vertically integrated alternative crop to consumer product programs for agricultural co-ops.
- Company had been sold.
Napier International Technologies, Langley, BC, Canada, 1992 - 1993
Assistant Scientific Manager
- Products and services: Wood preservatives, coatings, formulation, lab management, regulatory affairs, and QA/QC
- Supervised research and development analytical labs.
- Technical service and troubleshooting to manufacturing and customers.
- Product claim investigations
- Developed and implemented QA/QC program to comply with ISO 9001.
- Regulatory affairs (Canada and USA)
NTT Charlotte, NC, 1988 - 1989
Co-founder and Principal Chemist
- Products and services: Dyes, natural fibers, extraction, formulation, business development, separations (TLC, column chromatography), and color analysis.
- Selection, cultivation, and extraction of dye plants.
- Developed product specifications and QA/QC procedures.
- Dying natural fibers, blending and formulation of proprietary tints.
- Sold company.
Baxter HealthCare, Marion, NC, 1987 - 1988
Quality Control Chemist
- Expertise: Raw Materials Analysis, Method Development, QA/QC.
- Separations (GC, HPLC), Spectroscopy (Fluorescence, UV/Vis).
- Proposed, developed, implemented a heparin analysis that realized cost savings of $250,000 per year.
Honors & Publications
Peer Reviewer of publications in the following
- Forest Products Journal
- Journal of AOAC International
- American Herbal Pharmacopeia
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Forest Products Society (FPS)
- Society of Wood Science & Technology (SWST)
- American Wood Protection Association (AWPA)
- International Research Group on Wood Protection (IRG)
- International Association of Wood Anatomists (IAWA)
American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Upper Peninsula Local Section: Chair and Councilor
- Cellulose and Renewable Materials Division (CELL): Vice Program Chair
- Program Chair
- Committee on Ethics (ETHX): Associate and Member
- Divisional Activities Committee (DAC): Associate
- Multi-programming Planning Group (MPPG): Thematic Programing Chair and Chair-Elect
American Wood Protection Association (AWPA)
- Task groups pertinent to evaluation and analytical method standards
- Committee P-9
- General Referee
- General Methods Committee
Author and Co-Author of over 30 publications, posters and presentations
- Wood Composites preserving systems
- Wood Preservative Systems
- Plastic and Wood Composites Durability
- Building Panels-Mold and Decay
- Termites and home protection
- Termites Field Testing
- Extract-Grape Seed
- Climate on Wood
- Supplements and Botanicals Report
- Marketing Hemp and Innovation
- Ph.D. Forest Science, Michigan Technological University, Houghton, MI
- M.S. Chemistry, University of Idaho, Moscow, ID
- B.S.. in Chemistry, University of Denver, Denver, CO