Directing chemical research and process development in fast-paced manufacturing environments. Develop processes such as; Synthesis of silane and siloxane compounds for electronic applications (chemical vapor deposition) and silicone oligomers and polymers for diverse applications including coatings and personal care products.
- Synthetic organic chemistry.
- Analytical chemistry GC-FID, GCMS NMR, HPLC, AA, FTIR, UV/VIS, and KF titration.
- Fluorine chemistry.
- Silicon chemistry (electronic materials for chemical vapor deposition, coatings).
- Precious metals recovery.
- Acetylenic compounds.
- Grignard reactions.
- Liquid ammonia reactions.
- Flavor and fragrance compounds.
- Nutraceuticals and natural products (omega-3 fatty acids, phytosterols, isoflavones).
- Rocket propellants.
- Literature and patent searches.
- Raw material sourcing.
- Process development, scale-up, pilot plant operations.
- Process hazard analysis, health and safety.
- Toll processing, contract research, and technology transfer.
- Operator training.
- Technical writing.
- Fractional distillation (packed and spinning band columns).
- Molecular distillation (WFE short path).
- Spray drying and lyophilization.
- Production scale chromatography.
- GMP, cGMP, and ISO-9000.
SQL, Director of Research and Development – Director of Manufacturing, 2018 – 2021
- Maintained a very active level of laboratory bench work while directing a direct-report staff of research chemists, technicians, and production operators.
- Fostered and maintain an excellent safety culture.
- Responsible for setting objectives and priorities for research and development and manufacturing teams while managing 8 to 12 projects concurrently within the constraints of schedule, budget, and resources.
- Routinely performed literature searches and wrote research summaries, technical reports, SOPs for technicians and operators, SDSs, and patent applications.
- Participated in raw material sourcing, analytical method development, and quality control.
- Coordinated transitions from bench to commercial scale manufacturing.
SiVance LLC (Milliken) Gainesville, FL, Senior Process Development Chemist, 2011 - 2017
- Developed processes for the synthesis of silane and siloxane compounds for electronic applications (chemical vapor deposition) and silicone oligomers and polymers for diverse applications including coatings and personal care products while directing 2 to 3 laboratory technicians.
- As "chemist of record" frequently participated in cross-functional teams (PHAs, production, and engineering) during transitions to commercial production.
- Directed successful project to recover platinum from spent catalysts employed in hydrosilylation processes and supervised optimization of processes for several compounds, resulting in savings in excess of $2M/annum.
- Recipient of the 2012 Milliken Innovation Award for developing methods for the synthesis of electronic-grade aminosilanes.
Organic Technologies (Wiley Companies), Coshocton, OH, 1990 - 2010
Director of Research and Development
- Directed a direct-report staff of 3 research chemists and 2 technicians.
- Managed 4 to 6 complex, time-sensitive projects concurrently.
- Coordinated transitions from bench to pilot plant to commercial scale manufacturing.
- Contributed to the growth of the firm from 35 to 130 employees while transitioning from a fine chemicals catalog and toll processing business to a contract research and manufacturing firm.
- Devised synthetic methods for fine chemicals and pharmaceutical intermediates requiring diverse expertise in acetylene chemistry, Grignard reactions, liquid ammonia reactions, hydrogenations, halogenations, esterifications, and polymerizations.
- Served as technical liaison and participated in negotiations and collaborations with academic researchers, government agencies, and private firms.
- Routinely interfaced with clients on supply chain, quality control, regulatory, technology transfer, and intellectual property issues.
- Developed novel processes for isolating and purifying natural flavor and fragrance compounds, phytochemicals, nutraceutical ingredients, and enzymes.
- Awarded patents for the synthesis and characterization of novel high-energy compounds and catalysts with applications as performance-enhancing fuel additives and rocket propellants.
Gilford Instrument Laboratories, Oberlin, OH, Optical-Mechanical Design Engineer, 1985 - 1990
- Designed UV/VIS spectrophotometers employing holographic diffraction gratings and photodiode arrays.
- Development and validation of wet chemistry colorimetric assay reagents.
- Proven track record of technical innovation, creative problem solving, and meeting deadlines.
- Extensive experience in bench-scale chemistry, process scale-up, pilot plant operations, operator training, troubleshooting, process hazard analysis, toll processing, and technology transfer.
- Diverse unit operations including fractional distillation (packed and spinning band columns), molecular distillation (wiped film evaporators), crystallization, extraction, fermentation, ultrafiltration, lyophilization, and production scale chromatography.
- Analytical chemistry, including GC-FID, GC-TCD, GC-MS, NMR, HPLC, AA, FTIR, UV/VIS spectrophotometry, Karl Fischer, titrations.
- GMP, cGMP, and ISO-9000 regimes.
- Excellent organizational, time-management, and people skills.
Honors & Publications
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications in peer reviewed journals, magazines and conference literature.
- Inventor and Co-Inventor of numerous patents
- B.S. Chemistry, Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI
- B.A. Economics and & Business Administration, Hillsdale College, Hillsdale, MI