Polymer-Polyurethane Applications for New Products Development, Commercializing and Intellectual Properties Expert
Technical Consultant #2543
Polymer Scientist that is creative, a problem-solver, strategic, with expertise in developing and commercializing of new products and intellectual properties for polyurethane applications, including polymer foams, polyurethane dispersions, coatings, adhesives and elastomers. With a career resulting in many publications, under 100 patents, and a variety of commercial products that have generated more than $100 million in revenue.
- Radiation cure urethane acrylates for coating applications.
- Polyurethane dispersions for carpet backing.
- Polyurethane dispersions for coatings.
- Rigid foam formulations for PIR, (Rigid Polyurethane Foam)rigid foams.
- Polyester polyol products for coatings, adhesives, and rigid foams.
- Recycle and bio-renewable polymeric plasticizers for PVC, (Polyvinyl Chloride).
- Recycling of polyurethane thermosets into polyolefin composites.
- Color and odor removal from polyurethane products.
- Allergenic protein elimination from dip manufactured products.
- Valorizing waste streams into valuable polyurethane intermediates.
- Pour in place polyurethane pipe foam insulation foam formulations.
- Biobased polyurethane and surfactant products and raw materials.
- Run flat tire elastomers for automotive applications.
- Flame retardant biobased polyols for rigid foam applications.
- Recycled PET polyols for use in flexible foam applications.
- Delivering a cost-effective IP strategy that supports your business strategy.
- Working with IP, (Intellectual Property) counsel to create patents that increase the value of your company.
- Guiding clients in the prioritization and nationalizations of patents.
- Recommending defensive strategies to reduce IP legal costs.
- Assisting with the technical prosecution of inventions into allowed claims.
- Writing technical marketing publications, white papers, business cases, and scientific articles that create customers.
- Provided support in a patent dispute litigation over ownership of anti-plasticizer technology for PET, (Polyethylene terephthalate).
T.P.C., Plymouth, MI, Proprietor, 2020 - Present
Principal Polymer Scientist
- Providing technical and marketing guidance, knowledge, experience and connections to polyurethane and sustainability industries.
Carlisle Construction Materials, Plymouth, MI, 2020
Director of Polyol Research and Development
- Transitioned Resinate Materials Group technology and IP into Carlisle Construction Materials.
- Led efforts to incorporate sustainable content and improve performance in Carlisle Construction Materials products.
Resinate Materials Group, Plymouth, MI, 2013 - 2020
Chief Technology Officer and EVP of Research and Development
- Led strategic new business and product development efforts, product development and intellectual property creation for recycle- and bio renewable-content polyester polyols. Managed IP portfolio and technical strategy.
- Coinventor on most of Resinate’s 35 granted patents, and 49 patent applications.
- Led the commercialization of 29 polyols for coating, adhesive, sealant and foam applications during this time.
- Resinate was awarded the Adhesive and Sealant Council Award for Innovation for a small company.
- 15 of Resinate’s products are USDA Bio-Preferred certified.
- Over 60 ongoing projects with blue-chip global specialty chemicals players.
- Participated heavily in the sale of the company to Carlisle Construction Materials.
Stepan Company, Northfield, IL, Research Associate, Innovation Group, 2001 - 2013
- Coinvented process for ant plasticizer for Coca Cola ($44 million NPV) for PET bottle application.
- Developed and patented polyester polyols based on farnesene with improved green strength, greater bio-renewable content and reduced K-factor.
- Managed the Polyurethane Systems Group, resulting in the commercialization of a continuous, high temperature pipe foam insulation product.
- Implemented JDAs with two fermentation companies for new feedstocks for novel surfactants.
- Commercialized Bioblox protein removal treatment product for latex gloves.
- Coinvented cold water cleaning surfactants based on metathesis-based olefins.
- Member of Board of Directors for GreenCentre Canada, a green technology center for Canada.
Dow Chemical Company, Freeport, TX , 1980 - 2000
Research Leader, Polyurethanes Research and Development and Polyolefins (R&D)
- Implemented Dow’s intellectual assets strategy for Michelin’s polyurethane run flat tire supports (commercialized on the Honda Oddysey, Nissan Quest, Acura RL, Rolls Royce Phantom and Bugatti Veyron).
- Technology leader from early-stage concepts to commercialization of SYNTEGRAä aqueous polyurethane dispersions (est. revenue of $1.9 million) and LIFESPANä carpet backing.
- Technical lead for Dow's polyurethane rigid foam research and development; Received the Breaking the Barrier Award for Large Appliance Polyurethane Success.
- Invented advanced microporous insulation materials and vacuum panel composites capable of R values of 32 per inch. Received the Thunderbolt Award for Concept Excellence, and the Best Paper Award at Polyurethanes.
- Co-invented linear low density polyethylene maleic anhydride graft copolymer adhesives for use in multilayer packaging applications and corrosion control coatings for pipes.
- Developed analytical methodology for determining molecular weight distributions in ethylene / acrylic acid copolymers. This was a major milestone in the launch of Dow's PRIMACOR™ brand of adhesive thermoplastics.
- Received the Robert E. Cramer Award for Excellence in Technical Development.
Honors & Publications
- Intermediate Spanish
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society Member
- Winner of InnoCentive Challenge
- Better, Faster, First award for product development, Dow Chemical
- Breaking the Barrier Award for Large Appliance Polyurethane Success, Dow Chemical
- Thunderbolt Award for Concept Excellence, Dow Chemical
- Best Paper Award at the Conference of the Polyurethane Industry, Boston, MA
- Robert E. Cramer Award for Excellence in Technical Development, Dow Chemical
- Distinguished Student Award, Texas A&M University
- Four Year Opportunity Award Scholarship, Texas A&M University
- Welch Fellowship Grant, Texas A&M University
- Dr. George C. Bauer Memorial Scholarship, Texas A&M University
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of 24 publications (peer reviewed journals, educational text, presenter and conference).
- Inventor and Co-Inventor of 83 Patents: U.S. International and World Patents.
- B.S. Chemistry, (Honors, Magna Cum Laude). Texas A&M University, College Station, TX