- Materials Science, Technology and Manufacturing Engineer in Research and Development, (R&D) providing over 27 years of experience working in the industry and academia, Included in Stanford University’s List of World’s Top 2% of Scientists, USA
- Metallurgy engineering, coatings and corrosion consultancy: Providing graduate level educational in the STEM area, maintaining a high standard of quality and connecting R&D.
- Providing consultancy for several leading companies, funding agencies, universities, and high-profile publishers.
- Recipient of numerous national and international prizes, awards and funded fellowships.
- International advanced materials and coatings with established service to critical research topics in: Energy, Health, Environment, and Advanced Manufacturing.
- High-impact interdisciplinary collaborator winning competitive research grants, industry grants or consultancies.
- Develop and articulate agreements for academic and research with many institutions and coordinated several projects with the USA, France, Germany, and Italy.
- Prime Investigator (PI) and Co-Investigator (Co-PI), consultant, and team leader with overview of grants. And possess excellent knowledge of USA, EU, and UK research policies, a consultant-reviewer of numerous funding agencies in Germany, USA, UK, Qatar, Belgium, EU, Georgia, and Kazakhstan.
- External reviewer for projects funding, faculty promotion, or curriculum development for several universities. Excellent knowledge of USA, EU, and UK research policies.
- Developed courses for mechanical and manufacturing engineering, and chemistry master students, and effectively supervised and graduated Ph.D. and master’s students, and 3 postdoctoral scientists.
- Advanced materials and coatings: Smart coatings, nanocomposite, nanoceramic, nanofibers, nanowires, and advanced polymers.
- Advanced Manufacturing: Nano-manufacturing, bio-nano-manufacturing, advanced composites materials and coatings.
- Health: Biomaterials and bone tissue engineering, drug delivery, biodegradable materials, biomedical implants; tissue scaffold, polymer, nanofiber composites membranes, hydroxyapatite nanoplates, biomimetic materials, and bone defects treatment.
- Energy: Nuclear fuel synthesis, rare-earth nitrides, li-ion batteries, smart textiles supercapacitors, and energy harvesting.
- Environment: Waste and water treatment, CNT, graphene, membranes, nanoparticles, nanorods, nanoflakes, and nano-filters.
- Materials and coatings performance: Corrosion, materials failure analysis, materials selection, and mechanical testing.
E.M.C.,, President, 2020 - Present
- Provide engineering for metallurgy, coatings and corrosion client consultancy.
- Firm specializes in engineering in materials failure analysis, coatings, corrosion and material selection, consulting and training.
- Solve problems with pipelines, bridges, tanks, and other structures, using steel, concrete, copper, pipe, aluminum, and other structural materials.
- Reviewer Expert and Consultant for several universities.
- External reviewer: Faculty promotion, projects funding, or curriculum development for the following:
- UGhent University, University of Luxembourg, KU.
- Leuven, Hasselt University, Al-Imam University, American University in Sharjah, Tezpur University, Jazan University,
- King Saud University
- Kolabtree - UK, Maven - USA, Atheneum - Germany, AlphaSights -UK, Innosquared - Germany, Guidepoint - USA, Engine Insights - USA, and Advisory
- Editor for Elsevier U.S.A..
I.M. M.C.C., TX, Vice President, 2017 - 2020
- Supervised a team of experts to provide training courses, consultancy, and project management for national and international companies, and solve their critical technical problems related to materials performance and technology development.
University of Texas Rio Grande Valley (UTRGV), TX, Professor, 2014 - 2017
- RGV-STAR Full-time Full Professor: Manufacturing and Industrial Engineering, Rio Grande Valley (RGV) Initiative of the University of Texas Science & Technology Acquisition and Retention (STAR) Program, Funded by the State of Texas.
- Established a Surface Engineering Laboratory and created several courses for master students in manufacturing and mechanical engineering, and chemistry.
- Provided research and development leadership, maintained a high standard of quality in STEM teaching, and supervised several postdoctoral scientists and master students.
- Served in many department, college, and university committees in various leadership roles such as a member of college council, annual faculty evaluation committee, the dean of search committee, external awards committee, post-tenure committee, ABET, etc.
CMRDI, Cairo, Full Professor, 1993 - Present
Materials Science and Technology; Associate Professor, 2009 - 2014
Assistant Professor, 2003 - 2008
Research Assistant/Associate, 1993 - 2002
- Responsible for providing research and development leadership, connecting research activities to industry applications, and supervising Ph.D. and master students.
- Developed articulation agreements with many international institutions in the USA, France, Germany, Italy, etc.
- Laid the groundwork, as PI, Co-PI or team leader, for the proposed research and successfully administered the projects. (e.g., staffing, research protections, budget), and produced several publications from each project.
- Provide consultancy for several leading companies, solving their critical technical problems.
- Visiting Scientist/Professor: Department of Materials, Imperial College London
- Institute of Marine Corrosion of Metals, Genoa, Italy
- Dept. of Materials Sci. & Eng., University of Florida, Department of Materials Science and Engineering, University of Idaho
- Voreppe Research Centre, Alcan Engineered Products, France,
- Pohang University of Science and Technology South Korea
- School of Engineering, Univ. Politehnica din Timisoara, , Romania
- POSCO for Iron and Steels Manufacturing, Pohang, South Korea
- Ras Al Khaimah Centre for Advanced Materials, Saudi Aramco, Blue Origin, Seattle,
- University of Idaho, National Centre for Nuclear Research, Poland
- Raspet Flight Research Laboratory, Mississippi State University
- South Dakota School of Mines and Technology
- Inspire and encourage students to succeed creating courses for mechanical engineering, manufacturing and industrial engineering, (including chemistry master students).
- Illustrate lectures with clear and well-structured PowerPoints and making relevant links to real-life examples.
- High-quality teaching training (e.g., basic/advanced training, teaching to large groups, multiple-choice, basic, and advanced presentation skills). Curriculum development considering accreditation and involving the voice of industry is an essential part of the philosophy.
- Maintain national or international eminence through the exercise of leadership within professional bodies and participation and policy circles.
- University of Texas created and delivered the following courses for master programs in mechanical and manufacturing and industrial engineering: Advanced Coatings and Surface Engineering - and a laboratory projects associated with this course; Corrosion Engineering - and a laboratory projects associated with this course.
- Engineering Project: Anti-corrosion Protective Coatings; Advanced Coatings and Surface Technology; Corrosion Engineering; Thin Films and Surface Engineering; and Engineering Project.
- Tabbin Institute for Metallurgical Studies, Egypt: Created and delivered the course of "Corrosion Testing and Monitoring", for the Master program in corrosion engineering,
- Boise State University: Participated in the teaching of the "Thermodynamics of Materials" course for undergraduates, Materials Science and Engineering Dept.
- Ain Shams University, Cairo, Egypt: Supervised a training program in advanced coating and corrosion engineering for undergraduate students, Faculty of Science.
Education and Fellowships
- Supervised a team of postdoctoral and master students to perform research in smart coatings for advanced magnesium and aluminum alloys for automotive and aerospace applications.
- National Science Foundation Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Department of Materials Science and Engineering, Boise State University, ID, USA: Supervised a team of master students to perform research in self-healing chemical conversion and sol-gel coatings for advanced magnesium and aluminum alloys.
- USA Department of Energy Postdoctoral Fellowship.
- Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID, USA: Supervised a team to perform research in nuclear fuel synthesis and corrosion studies in molten salts, through two funded projects.
- Department of Energy (DOE), Nuclear Energy Research Initiative (NERI), on “Synthesis and optimization of the sintering kinetics of actinide nitrides”. (Funded by Idaho National Laboratory, on “Synthesis and corrosion of ZrN and HfN in molten salt”.) Completed a course in “Radiation Safety” provided by BSU.
- Ph.D. Dissertation: Corrosion Protection of Aluminium Metal Matrix Composites,
- Physical Chemistry, Cairo University, Egypt, jointly with the Institute of Marine Corrosion of Metals, Genoa, Italy.
- Designed five Fluoropolymer based eco-friendly coating formulations to add a self-healing functionality to Al-composites.
- The new coatings outperformed the Epoxy coatings in corrosion-resistance tests and exceed 2000-hour.
Higher Education, Research, Technology Development, and Industries
- Complete knowledge in these area includes, accreditation procedures and preparation, recruitment and retention, curriculum matters, faculty mentoring, teaching and research laboratories, equipment needs, facilities, promotion, and tenure process, funded research and scholarship, large scale multi-disciplinary/multi-institution proposals, budgetary matters, regulatory compliance, technology transfer, community outreach, and effective communication with students, staff and higher administration.
- Lead teams of experts in materials research and development with a proven track record of critical problem solving from different industrial sectors.
- Supervised and coordinated several international projects with USA, France, Germany, Peru, KSA, Italy, as a PI, Co-PI, consultant, or team leader.
- Produced the groundwork for proposed research and successfully administered the projects.
- Supervised and graduated 10 Ph.D. and master's students, and 3 postdoctoral scientists. Served in many department, college, and university committees in various leadership roles such as a member of the college council, annual faculty evaluation committee, the dean search committee, external awards committee, ABET.
- Consultant and Reviewer for several universities worldwide, Expert Reviewer/Panel.
- Member for several leading international funding agencies, and Chair/organizer/member of organizing committee of many international conferences.
Expert Evaluator and Reviewer for International Organizations and Universities
Panel Member and Expert Reviewer for Many International Organizations
- USA National Science Foundation (NSF)
- European Union’s (FP7), European Science Foundation (ESF) College of Expert Reviewers,
- External reviewer for the rank of full professor at Ghent University
- German Academic Exchange Service (DAAD)
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Associate Peer Review College-UK,
- Research Foundation Flanders (FWO)
- Elsevier - USA, USA Fulbright Commission
- German-Egyptian Research Fund (GERF)
- German Aerospace Center (DLR),
- Ministry of Education and Science-Kazakhstan
- Shota Rustaveli National Science Foundation of Georgia (SRNSFG), Qatar Foundation, University of Luxembourg
- Al-Imam University, Jazan University, Tezpur University, University of Hail, and Regular Referee for 30+ international journals of high profile (Elsevier, Springer, RCS, ECS, and Willy).
Honors & Publications
Alexander von Humboldt Award for Experienced Scientists, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces, Potsdam, Germany
FulbrightVisiting Scholar Award, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID
National Science Foundation (NSF-Egypt) Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID
USA Department of Energy Postdoctoral Fellowship, Department of Materials Science & Engineering, Boise State University, ID
- Completed a training course from the Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC), UK., consists of four modules which include an introduction, strategic criteria, postal peer review, and the prioritization meeting process.
- Completed Course: “Radiation Safety” provided by the Environmental Health & Safety Dept. BSU, USA
- Completed module: Interview Training, sponsored by the German Academic Exchange Service
- Writing & Citing Workshop, Boise State University, ID, U.S.A.
- Computer Skills: PowerPoint, Office, Excel, Internet, Outlook.
- German language course (A1 & A2), provided by Inlingua, Max Planck Institute, Germany.
- Languages: Fluent in Arabic and English. Conversational knowledge of German and Italian.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Minerals, Metals & Materials Society (TMS) Member
- Engineering and Physical Sciences Research Council (EPSRC) Associate Peer Review College-UK
- European Science Foundation - College of Expert Reviewers
- Fulbright Alumni
- Alexander von Humboldt Alumni, Germany
- Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces Alumni, Potsdam, Germany
- Shoman Research and Innovation Community, Jordan
- Alexander von Humboldt Award for Experienced Scientists, Max Planck Institute of Colloids and Interfaces
- Fulbright Visiting Scholar Award, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Boise State University
- National Science Foundation Fellowship, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Boise State University
- U.S., Department of Energy Fellowship, Materials Science and Engineering Department, Boise State University
- Shoman Prize in Engineering Science, Abdul Hameed Shoman Foundation, Jordan
- National Prize of Egyptian Advanced Science and Technology, Egyptian Government
- An-Najah University Prize for Research in Natural Science
- Arab Youth Excellence Award in Innovation, Arab League
- Prize of Prof.Venice Gouda for Innovation in Materials Science and their Applications, Egypt,
- Prize of Prof. Ibrahim Amar for Excellence in Materials Corrosion and Surface Technology, Egypt
- Included in Stanford University’s List of World’s Top 2% of Scientists
Publications and Patents
- Author/Co-Author of over 200 peer-reviewed journal and conference papers, as well as 17 books and handbooks for Springer and Elsevier. Served as both a Senior Editor and board member of many international journals. An organizer, head speaker, and chair at numerous international conferences.
- With a well-established international reputation of advanced materials and coatings that serve critical research topics in Energy, Health, Environment, and Advanced Manufacturing.
- Editor/Member of International Journals.
- Editor/editorial board member of many international peer-reviewed journals.
- Editor-in-Chief: Organo Opto-Electronics, NSP
- Senior Editor: Insciences Journal, Nanotechnology Section, Switzerland
Advisory Editor Topics
- Advanced Coatings and Thin Films
- Nano Science and Engineering
- Electrochemical Science and Engineering
- Materials Science & Surface Engineering
- Nanostructure in Chemistry
- Surface Engineered Materials and Advanced Tech
- Coating Science and Technology
- Smart Materials and Surface Technology
- Renewable Energy and Sustainable
- Nanomaterials & Nanosciences\
- Advances in smart and functional coatings and thin-films, MS&T Oct 12-16, 2014, Pittsburgh
- Recent Approaches and Challenges in Smart Coatings
- Corrosion and Coatings Challenges in Industry
- Global Experts Meeting on Frontiers in Materials
- Material Science, Metals and Manufacturing
- Nanotechnologies and Biomedical Engineering
- Recent Innovations in Production Engineering
- Ph. D. Physical Chemistry, Cairo University, Egypt, jointly with the Institute of Marine Corrosion of Metals, Genoa, Italy