- Industrial hygiene management providing over thirty years of experience with focus to safety and health management.
- Establish safety management systems supporting culture changes, applying safety engineering, training, OSHA negotiation and program development.
- Providing solutions to reduce workman’s compensation claims.
- Excellent communicator with technical, written and verbal skills, and providing expertise in the following industrial industries:
- Safety Health and Environment (SH&E) management
- Industrial hygiene management
- Paper and packaging manufacturing
- Petrochemical manufacturing
- Rubber industries
- Safety management systems
- Culture change
- Safety engineering
- Fall protection
- Root cause analysis
- Ergonomic evaluations
Undisclosed Company, Senior Safety Consultant, 2019 - Present
- Providing customer-focused safety and health solutions to manufacturing clients, and helping them progress toward injury-free, caring safety cultures.
Sonoco, Hartsville, SC, Division Safety Manager - Display and Packaging, 2018 - 2019
- Division-level leadership of safety and health for 9 locations in U.S. and 2 in Brazil.
- Provided strategic direction, safety professional mentoring/support, and leadership team guidance to improve safety cultures and systems.
WestRock, Norcross, GA, Division Safety Manager - Mill Operations, 2012 - 2018
- Corporate-level position with leadership responsibilities for 15 U.S. paper mills.
- Technical mentoring mill Safety Managers and cultural coaching with mill leadership teams.
- Provided strategic, data-based direction on safety initiatives with a customer-focused, hands-on approach.
- Subject matter expert in root cause analysis, fall protection, program development, front line leader safety leadership training.
- Coordination of Life-Changing Event (LCE) prevention program.
- Implementation of contractor pre-qualification process across division.
- Leadership and coaching on integrated approach to comprehensive safety management system and its importance in injury prevention.
Mead Westvaco Corp, Covington, VA, Manager, 2007 - 2012
Safety and Health Manager - Global Safety, Health and Environment (SH&E), 2010 - 2012
- Corporate-level safety/health resource for Mid-Atlantic region.
- Primary support to paper mill operations, and to numerous converting facilities.
- Responsibilities included regulatory compliance oversight, technical assistance, program development, management system coaching and day-to-day general support.
Manager, Safety & Health, 2007 - 2010
- Leadership of safety and industrial hygiene functions for a large bleaching paperboard facility, employing over 1,400 people.
- Supervised union Safety Directors.
Yokohama Tire Corp., Salem, VA, Manager, Safety and Health, 2004 - 2007
- Management of safety and health, industrial hygiene, fire prevention and workers compensation functions for 16,000 unit/day tire factory.
- Key accomplishments include drastic reduction in workers compensation costs, improved relationship with regulatory agencies and improved fire prevention processes.
Independent Contractor, 2000 - 2004
- Executed various business and functions working in the areas of Colorado and Virginia.
- President and Owner-of a company that built log homes.
- Log home sales and construction, which included real estate sales and settlements.
- Sales Agent - Coldwell Banker Realtors
Coors Brewing Company, Golden, CO, Safety Manager, 1996 - 2000
- Planned, implemented and managed safety and health issues for all beverage packaging departments.
- Managed a variety of other functions, including ergonomic evaluations, training program development and delivery, implemented award-winning behavior-based safety initiative, and created fall protection system design.
U S WEST, Inc., (Qwest), Denver, CO, Manager – Safety and Loss Control. 1992 - 1996
- Responsible for company-wide safety and health programs, strategies, planning, risk management and regulatory compliance.
- Provided technical and regulatory support to field Safety Managers in 14-state region.
Total Petroleum, Inc. Denver, CO, Pipeline Safety Manager, 1989 - 1992
- Managed safety and health programs for all pipeline employees across 5-state region.
- Developed and coordinated Pipeline Industrial Hygiene Monitoring Program.
- Supervised field Safety Specialists.
- Developed and implemented a new Safety and Loss Prevention Program.
- Designed fire protection systems for storage tanks and truck loading racks and managed installations.
Marathon Oil Company, Detroit, MI, Safety Engineer, 1988 - 1989
- Provided safety and industrial hygiene support to one-half of refinery.
- Coordinated refinery Industrial Hygiene Program and performed monitoring/analysis.
- Served as a Chief for the plant Emergency Response Team, and as refinery Asbestos Expert.
Honors & Publications
Registration and Certifications
- Certified Safety Professional (CSP)
- Fall Protection Competent Person
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, Board of Certified Safety Professionals
- Professional Member, American Society of Safety Professionals
- M.S. Environmental Policy and Management, University of Denver, Denver, CO
- B.S. Industrial Safety Management, Indiana University of Pennsylvania, Indiana, PA