- New business and technology expert, aligning company competencies to customer needs through deep technical proficiency.
- Proven Industrial leader, impactfully helping companies transform ideas into innovative products through: Understanding market conditions, building trusting customers relationships, brainstorming novel product concepts, and supporting product development.
- Optical communications
- Intellectual property
- Technical portfolio management
- Contract negotiations
- integrated optical connectivity
- Wavelength division multiplexing
- Hyperspectral imaging
Commercial Technology Liaison, Office of the CTO
- Create new business opportunities for Company Optical Communications (COC) and Specialty Materials.
- New business including: Optical connectivity for integrated photonics, free form optics for photolithographic and infrared imaging systems, and hyperspectral imaging for commercial applications.
- Provide technical direction and strategic planning to research, development and COC business that created integrated photonic connectivity products.
- Identified a $40 million manufacturing cost savings for an existing data center product line.
- Generated more than 23 patents and patent applications in the areas of integrated optical connectivity, wavelength division multiplexing, and hyperspectral imaging.
- Initiated key partner and customer interactions including: Nondisclosure agreements and development agreements resulting in strategic alliances and product introductions aligned to customer needs.
- Positioned business to take advantage of growing opportunity for co-packaging optical engines with ASICs by cultivated key players of the ecosystem.
- Spearheaded efforts to introduce a new thin film deposition capability for generating multi-million-dollar net present value opportunities for two business units.
- Launched and led project establishing value for glass as an electronic package substrate.
Program Director, Integrated Optical Connectivity, 2015 - 2017
- Developed and implemented a strategy and technical plan to integrate optical connectivity for Company Optical Communications business.
- Drove extensive engagements with potential customers and learning partners to identify the critical problems that led to developing differentiated solutions.
- Identified required internal capabilities, then coordinated and aligned research and development projects to develop scalable, low loss, low cost, single mode fiber-to-photonic integrated circuit coupling products.
- Reviewed invention disclosures and counseled the Optical Connectivity Solutions business on filing strategy and prioritization to establish a strong integrated photonic connectivity portfolio.
- Launched optical band plane effort that resulted in record low-loss waveguides in glass sufficient to meet the link loss budget for this application.
Research Director, Optical Physics and Transmission, 2004 - 2015
- Optical physics thought leader overseeing all technical, managerial, and financial aspects of optical physics research, one of Company’s top three core competencies with a budget exceeding $10 million.
- Created a strategy, built competencies, developed a portfolio, and sponsored projects in fiber communications, laser processing, optical materials and measurement systems,
- Providing solutions to critical business problems and creating new business opportunities.
- Oversaw successful technology transfers to businesses including: Bend-insensitive ClearCurve and ultra-low loss SMF-28 ULL fibers, EPIC label-free detection of biochemical and cellular assays, Gorilla glass stress measurements, durable AR coatings, laser cutting glass, automated fiber jumper assembly.
- Coordinated Company’s Optical Fiber and Cable business’ research portfolio in materials, fabrication, fiber design, optical transmission testbeds, and system-level modeling with an annual investment exceeding $10 million that strengthened Company’s world market and technology leadership in fiber.vg.
- Sponsor of world-leading technology breakthroughs: Lowest loss photonic bandgap fiber, highest power fiber amplifier, highest capacity optical packet switch network prototype, improved efficiency thin film solar cells, and record high capacity multi-core, few-mode fiber transmission.
- Consolidated optical physics competency into a highly prolific and creative director well aligned with corporate objectives after the telecom downturn in the early 2000s.
- Assessed invention disclosures and advised research and development intellectual property committee on filing them as patent applications. Provided guidance on management of intellectual property portfolio assets.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Manufacturing USA American Institute for Manufacturing Integrated Photonics (AIM Photonics)-Leadership Council and Technical Review Board
- Technical sub-committee chair for Optical Fiber Communication Conference
- Company representative on The Center for Freeform Optics, an NSF-sponsored Industry/University Cooperative Research Center
- Companying Management Group member
- Development project lead on Raman amplification commercialization
- Optical Industry Development Association Steering Committee
- Corporate member representative of U. of Rochester, Institute of Optics, Industrial Associates
- New York Center for Advanced Technology Center for Emerging and Innovative Sciences Board of Directors
- Member of Photonics West technical committee
- Author of a book chapter for Raman Amplifiers for Telecommunications
- Presented numerous invited talks at major conferences, keynote speaker at universities, Company Senior Management and Company Board of Directors
- More than 40 papers/conference presentations, and 16 internal reports on fiber optics communications, fiber design, nonlinearities, polarization mode dispersion, Raman amplification, integrated photonics, ion-exchange waveguides, and optical connectivity
- 39 patents, 17 patents pending
- Ph.D. Optics, Institute of Optics, University of Rochester, Rochester, NY
- B.S. Applied Math, Engineering and Physics, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI