- Polymer, colloid and physical chemistry.
- Dynamics of polymers and surface active species at interfaces.
- Polymer composites and nanocomposites.
- Polymer-solvent interactions and dynamics.
- Polymer characterization.
- Structure and dynamics in surfactant systems.
- Friction materials.
- NMR spectroscopy.
- Taught a variety of courses mainly in physical and polymer chemistry specializing in thermodynamics, kinetics and surfaces, polymer physical chemistry, polymer chemistry and spectroscopy.
- Course design: In response to departmental and campus-wide needs, developed a new course, Introduction to Chemistry Research. This course not only introduced incoming graduate students to faculty research topics, but also introduced the students to important topics like: plagiarism, ethics, choosing and advisor, presentations, writing research papers and proposals. This course has been implemented at OSU.
- Conducted workshops for: Organic and inorganic Hybrid Polymers and Organic and inorganic Hybrid Polymers Materials.
Undisclosed University, Professor of Chemistry (Regents), 2011 - Present
Graduate Teaching Assistant (GTA) and Co-Chair, Professional Development Task Force, 2012
- Reviewed the roles of GTAs across OSU with special emphasis on non-native English speaking GTAs.
- Developed a comprehensive plan for entry level training/evaluation and continued mentoring of GTAs.
- Professor and Chair of Chemistry, 2009 - 2011
- As Chief Officer of the Department of Chemistry responsible for approximately, 40 undergraduate students, 65 graduate students, 5 postdoctoral fellows, 7 staff members, 5 chemical professionals and 21 faculty members.
- Provide strategic planning, interaction with external constituencies, and budgeting. In the first three years and successfully hired six tenure-track faculty members.
Missouri University of Science and Technology, Rolla MO, 1986 - 2010
President, President-Elect, Secretary, Parliamentarian, and Chair, 2004 - 2009
- Served as founding President of the Faculty Senate (MS&T) and last President of the Academic Council (UMR). These positions were part of the yearly Presidential succession of this representative faculty body.
- As an officer, dealt with a variety of academic and personnel issues.
- Conducted meetings with Chancellor and Provost to forge faculty and administration partnerships on a monthly basis.
- Played a major role in changing the faculty bylaws and the UM system collected rules and regulations to accommodate the campus structure without schools, colleges and deans.
- Assisted in reinventing processes dealing with tenure and curricula.
- Attended Board of Curators' meetings and represented the faculty at these meetings.
- Professor (Materials and Science Engineering).
- Curators' Professor of Chemistry.
- Professor of Chemistry.
- Senior Research Investigator for the Materials Research Center.
- Associate Professor of Chemistry.
Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, 1981 - 1986
- Assistant Professor of Chemistry.
Lectures and Symposiums
- Invited guest at academic institutions and companies in the United States, Sweden, England, Ireland, Germany, France, and the Netherlands addressing the subject areas:
- Polyaniline and related nanocomposites
- Unusual properties of polymer surfaces
- The goop at the bottom of the flask, polymer chemistry
- Multinuclear NMR studies in polymer systems
- Structure and dynamics in micelles liquid crystals and microemulsions
- Transport in polymer and surfactant systems
- Dynamics of surface-bound species
- Molecular motion of adhesion promoters on oxide surfaces
- Molecular motion and the physical properties of composites
- One - and two - dimensional deuterium NMR studies of polymers
- Magnetic Resonance
- Polymeric Microemulsions: Formation and Reactions of Polymerizable Microemulsions
- Magnetic Resonance in Polymers
- NMR of Surfactants
- Polymer Science and Polymer Technology
- Colloids and Interfacial Phenomena
- NMR of Polymers
- Polymer Interfaces
- Dispersed Systems and Effect of Added Polymer
- Advances in Filler TechnologyPolymer Surfaces and Interfaces
- Accumulated over $4 million in grants working with:
- National Science Foundation
- Office of Naval Research
- Petroleum Research Fund
- Research Corporation
- Alcoa Foundation
- Du Pont
- Cardolite Corporation
- Exxon Education Foundation Award
- Authored and co-author over 215 technical papers, in chemical-related fields with focus on surface-adsorbed species and surface-active agents of relevance to materials science and friction materials.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Secretary, Division of Polymer Chemistry, Inc., ACS
- Councilor, South Central Missouri Section, ACS
- Member: American Chemical Society (ACS Divs. of: Colloid and Surface
- Chemistry, Polymer Chemistry, and Polymeric Materials); American Physical Society (APS, Div. of Polymer Physics); Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE)
- Director: Institute for Applied Chemistry (UMR)
- Director: Nuclear Magnetic Resonance (NMR) Lab. (UMR)
- Co-Director: Friction Materials Laboratory
- Director, Molecular Modeling Computer Learning Center
- Member, Paint and Coatings Short Course Program (UMR)
- Editorial Board, "Drexel Polymer Notes"
- Assistant Editor, "Polymers Preprints", Division of Polymer Chemistry, Inc., ACS
- Faculty Excellence Award, University of Missouri-Rolla.
- Outstanding Achievement and Contribution to Polymer Science and the Profession.
- Curators' Professorship: Highest rank in the University Missouri System., providing leadership to the faculty, administration on the importance of scholarly activity and fairness in interactions.
- Special Service Award, Division of Polymer Chemistry, Inc. Recognized for service to the Division especially as founding Webmaster.
- Outstanding Graduate Alumni Award (Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL).
- Research Scholar Award, Drexel University.
- Regents' Professorship for the unique contributions in several areas including research, artistic performance, creativity, teaching, and extension.
- Ph.D. Physical Chemistry, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN
- M.S. Physical Chemistry, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL
- B.S. Chemistry, Eastern Illinois University, Charleston, IL