Over forty years industrial experience with emphasis on new products development and customer service work in Li ion battery, electronics materials, adhesives and carbon fiber composites. Specialized in polymer physics, colloid science, characterization and fundamental research work for various applications, such as in electronics, constructions, carbon fiber composites, Li ion Battery, coatings and adhesives.
- Li ion Battery (raw materials).
- Carbon fiber and its composites and prepreg.
- Construction materials (Concrete superplasticizers, MHEC, RDP)
- Water soluble polymers (Cellulose ethers, MC, HEC,CMC,EC,HPC from Ashland/Hercules),and applications.
- Polyvinyl Pyrrolidone (PVP), SMA and Gantrez (from Ashalnd/ISP) and applications.
- Tackifier resins for adhesive and sealants (Hydrocarbons and Rosin esters from Eastman Chemicals). Production and applications.
- Rheology of Pressure sensitive adhesive formulations (thermoset, thermoplastics and UV).
- Cationic polymers for personal care applications (conditioner and shampoo).
- Acrylate Chemistry for rheology modifier, dispersants and hydrogels (Carbopol).
Proven Success Programs
- Developed and patented new binders for Silicon Carbon anode for Li ion battery application.
- Developed and patented new binders for ceramic coated separator for Li ion battery application.
- Set up joint develop programs with major Li ion battery producers in Asia and USA.
- Developed construction material (redispersable powder, RDP) for tile cement and had built new RDP plant in Nanjing, China, ($800 million market potential).
- Developed rheology modifier for personal care (Carbopol) and qualified it at L'Oreal.
- Development of new polymers for conductive pastes for solar cell.
- Developed new pigments dispersants based on acrylate chemistry for $50 million, (Market potential in concrete admixture and water treatment applications).
- Developed new photo-imageable solder mask formulations and liquid photo resist based on new acrylic chemistry (Business was sold to McDermid Inc.)
- Developed and patented damage tolerant carbon fiber composite products qualified by Boeing 777 as the first in the world. Product was commercialized in 1988 and sold, exceeding $100 million, holding at present in the aerospace industry. This business was sold to Hexcel.
- Developed new high temperature flex circuit adhesive based on polyimide.
- Developed hot melt pressure sensitive adhesives for diaper applications for P&G and sold it more than $10 million (this resin business was sold to Eastman Chemicals).
Independent Consultant, 2015 - Present
Ashland Research Center, Wilmington, DE, 2009 - 2015
- Program leader for new projects development such as Li ion Battery binders, RDP, Rheology modifiers for paints and personal care (Carbopol) applications, concrete additives, cationic polymers for conditioner and shampoo.
Hercules Research Center, Sr. program team leader, Aqualon Division, 1981 - 2008
- Responsible for developing new products such as polymeric dispersants and Cellulosic polymers (HEC, CMC,MC,EC and HPC etc.) for adhesives paint, electronics and personal care and construction applications.
Senior Research Scientist/Project Manager Electronics Division of Hercules, 1981 - 1995
- Product development of photo-imageable liquid solder mask and Photo resister (AquamerR).
- Product development of encapsulant, die attach adhesive and molding compounds for semiconductor based on Silicone-Carbon resin (Sycar).
Senior Research Scientist/Internal Consultant for New Corporate Programs, 1988 - 1990
- Technical Consultant for Hercules' major programs such as Polydicyclopentadiene (MettonR ) RIM, and Polyurethane RIM (Structone) and new electronics resins ( SycarR ) and filament winding Epoxy resins.
Program Manager and Adhesive Lab. Manager, 1986 - 1988
- Technical service work for Tackifying Resins (hydrocarbons and rosin resins).
- New tackifiers developmental work.
- New polymer alloys and blends program.
Research Scientist/Principal Investigator, 1982 - 1986
- Developmental work of new carbon fiber composite resins.
- Technical service work in adhesive resins.
Senior Research Chemist - Rheologist;, 1981 - 1984
- Technical Service work in adhesives lab and technical consultant for Rheology Lab.
- Work as a Rheologist at Polymer Resins Applications Laboratory.
University of Dayton, Ohio, 1979 - 1981
- Research Associate at the research Institute.
- Contract research with United States Air Force in "High Performance Adhesives and Composites Resins."
Tongyang Nylon Research Center, Anyang, Korea, 1972 - 1973
- Research Engineer: Development of Nylon tire cord heat stabilizer.
Honors & Publications
- Post Doc. Polymer Rheology, Carnegie Mellon Univ. Pittsburgh, PA
- Korean speaking, writing and reading fluent.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Adhesive & Sealant Council
- SAMPE- The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
- Nominated as the Hercules Research Fellow
- Hercules High Performance Award
- ASC paper presentation, (Honorable Mention)
Published 26 technical papers in professional journals and text books chapters with areas in:
- Pressure sensitive adhesives
- Properties in viscoelastic
- Thermoplastic elastomers
- Hot melt and harsh environments
- Polymers and composites
Inventor of 42 patents issued in U.S., Japan and Korea, with 4 patents in process specific to:
- Coating Applications
- Construction Applications
- Adhesives Applications
- Composites Applications
- Electronics Applications
- Ph.D. Polymer Physics, University. of Texas, Austin, TX
- M.S. Physical Organic Chemistry, University of Texas, Elpaso, TX
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Hanyang University, Seoul, Korea