- Natural and synthetic polymers producing a broad area of physical science of polymeric materials, with specialization in fibers and filaments.
- Research work in the area of natural and man-made fibers structure and properties, and the influence of processing on the development of structure and the resulting properties; expertise based on 35 years of experience.
- Materials Science and Engineering Educator teaching graduate and undergraduate courses in materials science of organic polymer fibers, including graduate courses in polymer fiber properties, formation, and manufacturing, and undergraduate courses in yarn, and in woven, knitted, and nonwoven fabric construction.
- Fiber and fabric work in nylon for areas of fatigue, abrasion, and sunlight and high energy radiation effects on fiber structure and properties.
- Mechanical properties studies on fibers.
- Aromatic and aliphatic modifications of fibers.
- Intellectual property and industrial product development consultant for the wool, textile, polymer, fibers, fiber melt, nonwovens, flame retardant, high performance fibers, composites and carpet sectors.
- Polymer Fibers
- Textile Materials
- Fiber Production
- Fiber Properties
Expert Witness Experience
- As defendants in a Trade Secret Misappropriation lawsuit.
- Fiber Formation expert for the defendant in a federal misuse of funds criminal case. Settled prior to trial.
- Fiber expert in Patent Infringement. Reports, Deposition and Trial Witness (Litigation of over four years).
- Fiber expert for defendants in Personal Injury case. Deposed and settled out of court.
- Fiber and fabric expert for defendants in Personal Injury case. Deposed and settled out of court.
- Window dressing patent infringement challenge. Settled, no contest.
Independent Consultant, 1984 - Present
- Providing a broad range of expert services; legal support, expert witnessing, industrial support for the textile sector, and education for various colleges and manufacturing companies.
Clemson University, Clemson, SC, Professor, 1984 - 2014
- Instructor for the Department of Materials Science and Engineering
- Taught graduates and undergraduates in the materials science of organic polymer fibers, and a polymer fiber formation and manufacturing.
- Yarn and fabric construction courses and guided graduate students in research projects involving nonwovens, composites and carpets.
- Research work in natural and man-made fibers structure and properties, and the influence of processing on the development of structure and the resulting properties.
- Professor, Department of Materials Science and Engineering - Textiles, Fiber and Polymer Science 1998 - 2014
- Interim Director, Materials Science and Engineering, 2003 - 2005
- Associate Professor, Textiles, Fiber and Polymer Science, 1990 - 1998
- Assistant Professor, Textiles, 1984 - 1990
ENSITM, Universite de Haute Alsace, Mulhouse-Colmar, France, 2003
- Invited Professor
University of California, Davis, CA, Staff Research Associate, 1975 - 1984
- Conducted directed research on fibers and textiles and assisted in the guidance of graduate students.
- Staff Research Associate, Division of Textiles and Clothing, 1975 - 1984
- Lecturer, Division of Textiles and Clothing, 1982 - 1983
- Staff Research Associate, Nutrition Department, Graphics computer programmer, 1978 - 1980
- Graduate Teaching Assistant, Physics Department, 1971 - 1973
Diablo Valley College, Pleasant Hill, CA, 1982 - 1983
- Instructor, Physics Department
California State University, Chico, 1973 - 1974
- Lecturer, Physics and Mathematics Departments
- Sirrine Research Center of Economic Excellence in Fiber -Based Materials. served as core team member. Chair of Endowed Chair Search committee. Member of reconstituted Endowed Chair Search committee
- Capillary Surface Materials (CSM). Intellectual property donation from Eastman Chemical to Clemson University Research Foundation: served as technology coordinator during property transfer and subsequently as spinning R&D director for CSM.
- Cut Resistant Fiber Technology. Intellectual property donation to the CAEFF from Hoechst-Celanese: Served as team member during property transfer.
- Bicomponent Extrusion Facility Development. Equipment donation to the School of Textiles, Fiber and Polymer Science: Served as primary point of contact; oversaw installation and commissioning.
- High-Speed Winder. Equipment and service donation from American Barmag Corp.: served as PI.
- KentWool Company: Environmentally Friendly Wool Processing
- National Science Foundation and State of SC, XRD Instrumentation Grant
- National Science Foundation, Engineering Research Center for Advanced Engineering Fibers and Films, Research Leader for Fiber Structure
- Elf Atochem: Melt Spinning of PVDF
- Rohm and Haas Co: Additives for PP Melt Spinning Process Enhancement
- Zenith Pumps Div., Parker-Hannifin Co: Gear Pump Performance in Melt Spinning of Polymers
- Rohm and Haas Co: Additives for Enhancing Crimp Retention in PP
- Rohm and Haas Co: Acrylic Glutarimides in Fiber Melt Spinning
- PQ Corp: Flame retardant fiber spinning and testing
- Albright & Wilson: Flame retardant fiber spinning and testing
- Shell Development Co: Experimental Fiber (PTT) spinning contract
- Du Pont, Inc: Support for Polymer Research Alliance Proposal Preparation
- U.S. Army Research, Development, and Engineering Center: Thermally Insulating Nonwoven Fabric
- Transportation Data Coordinating Committee: Electronic Data Interchange Impact Study
- Westex Div., Lydall, Inc., Nonwovens Research
National Textile Center Projects
- Novel Fibers via Biomimesis
- Biomimetic Manufacturing of Fibers
- Novel Polymer Optical Fibers
- Improved Fiber Hydroentanglement Using Pulsed Elliptical Jets
- Chaotic Mixing in- Melt Spinning of Fibers
- Biomimetic Manufacturing of Fibers, seed project
- Torsional Properties-of High-Performance Fibers
- HVI Subsystem-Acoustic Spectrum Analysis
- Chaos in Polymer Phase Transitions
- Production of Fine Denier Fibers
- Acoustic Spectrum Analysis
Honors & Publications
- Reading French
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Physical Society (APS), Division of High Polymer Physics (DHPS), Division of Materials Physics (DMP)
- American Chemical Society (ACS), Cellulose, Paper, Textile Division (CELL), Polymer Materials Science and Engineering Division (PMSE), Division of Polymer Chemistry (POLY)
- The Fiber Society
- Materials Research Society (MRS)
- RWTH, Aachen Germany, Karman Fellowship.
- Author and Co-Author of articles and papers in peer reviewed journals with subjects in the area of:
- Wool Fibers-Break, Twist, Crosslink Associated with Alkaline and Temperature Environments
- Textile Fabrics-Moisture on Flame Retardance
- Nylon-Fatigue, Abrasion Resistance, Sunlight Modification of Surfaces
- Two U.S. Patents
- Ph.D. Polymer Fiber Physics, University of California, Davis, CA
- M.A. Physics, University of California, Davis, CA
- B.S. Physics, University of California, Davis, CA
- A.A. Engineering Sierra College, Rocklin, CA