- Point-Of-Care (POCT) diagnostics, pediatrics, endoscopy, critical care, cardiovascular surgery, ENT/respiratory-care, IVD, MIS, IVUS, interventional-cardiology devices, and imaging.
- "Stage and gate process," product pricing strategies, branding, strategic partnerships and maximizing sales for profit and market share in new and mature markets.
- Business and engineering background offering strategic planning, maximize upstream and downstream marketing for innovative products including AI enabled devices.
- Pipeline assessments and analysis, leading to commercialization of new products and introduction to the global markets for the medical device industries.
- Capital equipment analysis in pediatrics, neonatology, critical care, cardiopulmonary devices, ENT, respiratory-care, IVD, diagnostic systems, and interventional cardiology devices to increase sales and preparation for the global markets.
- Establish strategic pricing.
- Industry expert in developing strategic relationships with Key Opinion Leaders.
- Provide training for direct sales team and distributor partners in the Medical Device and Capital Equipment industries.
Medical Device Specificity
- New Product Launch (Class III)
- Demand Generation
- Capital and Single-Use Devices
- Global Business Development
- Product Development and Life Cycle
- Biotechnology, Engineering and Technology Collaboration
- Training and Development
- Licensing and Patents
- Medical Device Positioning, Pricing and Competitive Analysis
- Strategic Planning
- Project and Product Management
- Mergers and Acquisitions
Independent Executive Consultant, 2011 - Present
Management and Marketing Consultant, 2016 - Present
- Provided marketing, branding, pricing and product management consulting services and commercialization strategies for funded start-ups.
- Developed programs to drive market awareness, branding and competitive differentiation. Created sales collateral and digital marketing, including PR and promotional materials for social media strategies.
- Promoted company to investors for fundraising and scale-up monies and re-launched product line portfolio.
Medical Device Consultant, 2011 - 2013
- Consulted in the areas of marketing, sales and research and development for four, angel-funded, medical device companies.
- Created strategic competitive commercialization plans to launch the business and products.
- Partnered with research and development to gain approval on three medical device patents for two start-ups.
- Conducted primary market research to improve the revenue model by 25%.
- Assessed market data and identified market penetration, adoption rates and performed trend analysis.
Independent Executive Leader - Start-Up Companies, 1997 - 2005
- Provided leadership roles within start-up medical device companies, that led to the successful acquisition and sale of two companies to large device corporations.
- Pitched strong financial and value proposition to investors.
- Gained experience in pediatrics, neonatology, critical care, cardiopulmonary devices, ENT, respiratory-care, IVD, diagnostic systems, interventional cardiology devices and capital equipment.
Bio-Rad Laboratories, Irvine, CA, 2015 - 2016
Global Senior Product Director - Manager III
- Marketed diagnostic quality controls used to determine instrument accuracy, for a $500 million global company.
- Reported directly to Sr Marketing Director, managed a staff of nine product managers, held profit and loss responsibility for $400 million.
- Spearheaded strategic marketing plans, business development, branding, new product development and product lifecycle. Supported global sales teams and distributors with education, training, sales collateral, and website tools.
- Developed a marketing plan to launch two new products, that generated $2 million in global sales.
- Initiated strategic pricing programs to maximize product adoption within key markets.
- Developed an upstream marketing organization, to support $400 million in global sales.
- Conducted strategic analysis and developed an acquisition plan for four merger and acquisition targets.
Hemocue America - Danaher Corporation, Brea, CA, 2013 - 2015
Marketing Director-North America
- Directed marketing and sales for a $50 million global capital equipment and device company and managed a staff of four.
- Reported to the General Manager and led all marketing for diagnostic Point-of-Care (POCT) analyzers and single use cuvettes.
- Led profit and loss, strategic planning, and business development. Co-directed new product planning, branding and product life-cycle strategy.
- Provided direct sales team and distributor partners, with education and training.
- Developed and launched market initiatives for hospital, critical care ER (Emergency Room) products and grew sales 15%.
- Created and launched a strong branding campaign against competitors for a 5% growth in sales.
- Collaborated with advertising/PR agencies to deliver collateral that differentiated product and drove sales.
- Introduced two product-line extensions to enhance data collection for hospital Electronic Health Records.
- Conducted an analysis with cross departmental functions that reduced back orders by 20%, in 120 days.
- Oversaw and evaluated analysis of data, related to regulatory guidelines for reimbursement.
- Hired, developed and coached staff to become a high-performance team and achieve company goals.
- Generated 150-200 qualified leads at conferences and medical exhibitions.
Masimo Corporation, Irvine, CA, 2010 - 2011
- Reported to VP of Marketing, managed a staff, responsible for sensors and cables franchise, valued at 85% of annual sales in a $400 million global capital equipment and device company.
- Led strategic planning and global marketing and profit and loss responsibility for $340 million.
- Co-directed new product planning, branding, overall product life-cycle, and business development.
- Supported global sales channels with education and training.
- Ensured rollout of a new reusable sensor product line and managed a pre-launch limited market release as a beta test to key customers. Subsequent launch generated $2.4 million in sales, in 10 months.
- Launched a program to save $100K, by reducing sensor reprocessing time by 50% and eliminating unnecessary lot-to-lot sterility validation.
- Co-developed marketing and sales initiatives with Product Management and Sales Support team, that increased global sensor sales by 20%.
- Created a strategy to increase sales by 15%, in 12 months on high-priced, critical care, and specialty sensors.
Irvine Scientific, Inc., Santa Ana, CA, 2007 - 2009
Director of Worldwide Marketing and Sales
- Reported directly to CEO and managed 18-member U.S. direct sales and marketing team, for a privately held device and biotech company, serving biotech, IVD Women's Health and Prenatal Care markets.
- Led worldwide marketing for IVF devices, prenatal diagnostic kits, and biotech industrial cell-culture media.
- Directed the Ireland and Europe distribution site and international distributor network.
- Co-directed business development and deal flow for new product development. Developed and executed strategic business/marketing plans, including merger and acquisitions.
- Obtained distribution rights for a new line of embryo transfer catheters and generated $1 million.
- Partnered with Contract Manufacturing Organizations (CMO) to grow culture media business by 15%.
- Increased top-line revenue by 12% in 15 months, by incorporating high-volume and/or long-term contracts.
- Prepared pre-acquisition business plans for acquirement by a global energy company.
- Improved pricing strategy to increase margins and apply portfolio optimization on 25 low-margin SKUs.
- Re-designed sales training curriculum to strengthen team's technical competency.
- Improved shelf-life of products at the Ireland distribution center by installing new equipment for efficiency.
- Reduced shipment times by 48 hours with a new strategic shipping partnership.
- Developed a licensing agreement with a global pharmaceutical company, for R&D co-development.
St. Jude Medical Corporation - AF Division, Irvine, CA, 2005 - 2006
Global Director of Marketing
- Reported to Division President and managed a staff of seven for a $3 billion Cardiology and Rhythm Management company of diagnostic and therapeutic systems.
- Developed and implemented global marketing/strategic plans.
- Led efforts for new product development, new market penetration, branding and trained sales force and distributors.
- Assessed pipeline analysis that led to the commercialization of seven new products which were introduced to the global market and increased sales of capital equipment and single use catheters, by 25%.
- Used forecasting methods to address supply gaps and reduce back orders by 15%, on products sold in Western Europe, Japan and Canada.
- Conducted market research that improved product design; grew sales by 15% in the Asia Pacific region, notably in China and Japan which had previously had slow market penetration.
- Consistently met budget objectives and implemented strict timelines for challenging projects.
- Wrote product development procedures (stage-and-gate), that reduced cycle time to market by 4 months.
Independent Executive Leader , 1997 - 2005
Biosense-Webster - Johnson & Johnson Company, Baldwin Park, CA, 1993 - 1997
Vice President of Global Marketing
- Directed global marketing and sales of Webster electrophysiology products worldwide, for a $480 million Interventional Cardiology Company, with focus on Electrophysiology (EP), 3D imaging, stents and capital equipment.
- Executed and directed a staff for new product development, customer engagement strategies, market research, marketing plans, and capital planning.
- Led Western European and Asia Pacific affiliates. Provided leadership for the team, which ultimately led to the acquisition of Webster Labs by Cordis and then Johnson & Johnson.
- Introduced a disruptive technology, Biosense™ which emerged in the U.S. market and grew catheter sales 15%.
- Led marketing team in the development of PMA for the Thermo Cool™ ablation catheter line (Class III) which became the leading product of choice for ablation therapy.
- Launched a pediatric line of diagnostic catheters into global market and grew sales 10% year over year.
- Introduced and launched a disruptive technology, HALO™ tricuspid valve mapping catheter on a global basis, that realized $1 million in sales, in the first year.
- Participant in the development of PMA for the Thermo Cool™ ablation catheter line.
Honors & Publications
- Healthcare Business Teaching Certification, University of Phoenix Faculty, Ontario, CA
- EMT-B Certification - American Red Cross
- Bi-lingual - English/Spanish
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Expert-in-Residence - Center for Innovation, University of California, Irvine, CA
- Mentor and Coach - Beall Center for Technology, University of California, Irvine, CA
Author of Articles Published in:
- American College of Physicians
- American Association of Clinical Chemists
- MBA University of California, Irvine, CA
- BSME Mechanical Engineering, California State Polytechnic University, Pomona, CA