Electronic Circuitry, Motor, and Engine Computational Design Expert
Technical Consultant #2452
- Computational design using optimization, coupled with simulation for the energy, transportation, deep space industries and military.
- Electronic circuit design and construction.
- Analysis and research 3D automatic finite element meshing algorithms.
- Design and development of high-speed hull jet drives.
- Overview and analysis of electro-magnetic epicyclic motion motors; Micro UAV (Unmanned Aerial Vehicle) of systems integration and aerodynamic configurations; Micro Gas Turbine: Thermo -aerodynamic design. And, MEMS: Pressure, velocity and displacement sensor design.
- Design and analysis of electro-magnetic components of switched reluctance motors.
- Design and analysis of rotating combustion chambers for ceramic gas turbines.
- Multi discipline analyst and solver of complex difficult problems
- Software algorithms for CAD, integral mechanics and data mining.
- Analysis, research and selection of high strength and high temperature materials.
- Patent writing, searches, cross analysis, validation and due diligence.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provided test equipment for a seat belt impact test for litigation.
- Built a prop for a road tanker asphyxiation case.
- Provided expert opinion on a marine salvage law suit.
- Due diligence confirmation on inventions, technology for startups and legal entities.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and NSW Director, 1998 - Present
- Engineering consulting and software development company for various industries and military.
- Developed a 3D Hexahedral meshing software program, CheetahSTC.
Projects - CFD (Computational Fluid Dynamic) and CAE (Computer Aided Engineering)
- Fan design and analysis for refrigeration application, noise and efficiency targets: Wellington
- Diesel to LPG conversion of an Actros truck, included CFD engine simulation: VPAC
- Ceramic Gas Turbine: Design and analysis of a rotating combustion chamber, (undisclosed client)
- Non-linear hyper elastic rubber suspension system for a railroad car: Queensland Rail
- Electromagnetic design of a switched reluctance motor: U.S. Navy
- Soybean genetic crop modelling and optimization: Syngenta
- Drag reduction coatings for U.S. Air Force: Lockheed Martin
- Lung Irritation modelling: (undisclosed client)
- Instant Ice making machine: Pepsico
- Microwave Susceptor: Pepsico
- Acoustic levitation of snacks: Pepsico
EET, Sydney Australia, NSW, Chief Technical Officer, 2013 - 2016
- Responsible for startup company by inventing, designing and building a tidal energy turbine.
- Managed the mechanical design of the turbine, blades, electrical generator, water seals, support structure, testing equipment.
- Designed and built the test barge, conducted ocean tests, collected performance data.
- Computational CAD model design to optimize the performance and design of a new class of turbine that set a new COP record for a freestream turbine. Wrote two patents, both granted.
OceanLinx, Sydney Australia, NSW Senior Turbine Engineer, 2010 - 2013
- Responsible for the design and manufacture of a wave energy air turbine in the 1 to 5 MW class.
- Filed and granted a Patent on a bidirectional turbine.
Orbital Engine Company, Balcatta WA, Computational Fluid Dynamics Engineer
- Design and analysis of air assist direct fuel injection using both Lagrangian two phase and FreeSurface VOF models.
- Injection and combustion modelling of in-cylinder flows with conjugate heat transfer. Two and four stroke engine moving mesh simulation.
James Cook University, Queensland Australia, Mechanical Engineering Instructor
- Lecturer and Course Instructor for subjects: Materials handling, Dynamics, Mechanical Engineer, Project Design and Management.
Sarcos Research Corporation, Salt Lake City, UT Management
- Project Manager overseeing electro-magnetic Epicyclic motion motors.
- Systems integration and aerodynamic configurations of Micro UAV (unmanned aerial vehicle): Micro Gas Turbine.
- Provided Thermo -aerodynamic design. MEMS: Pressure, velocity and displacement sensor design for Department of Defense and U.S. Navy.
Mercury Marine, Oshkosh WI, Project Engineer
- Managed design and development of high-speed hull and jet drives. Craft stability and control dynamics.
Sandia National Laboratories, Albuquerque, NM. Contract, Ph.D. Research.
- Conducted research in the field of 3D automatic finite element meshing algorithms.
Brigham Young University, Provo UT, Educator and Technician
Assisted classes in: Compressible Fluid Flow, Composites, Materials, Finite Element Method, Aircraft Design and Stability.
- Prototype machine shop technician.
Institute of Astronomy, Manoa, HI, Electronics Technician
- Designed and constructed electronic circuits for pointing control of Astro-telescopes.
Australian National Line, Victoria, Australia
- Marine Engineering Officer.
Honors & Publications
- Invented a free stream turbine applicable for wind and tidal flow that exceeds the Betz efficiency.
- Invented a new mathematical Monolith CAD definition and method that enables computational CAD for solids and fluid mechanics.
- Discovered and designed a new bidirectional reaction turbine for low pressure flow with 90% efficiency.
- Developed a 3D Hexahedral meshing program to generate high quality meshes. Formulated new mathematical methods for solving complex meshing geometries and developed a new definition for n-dimensional continuum space.
- Designed and developed a Super Sonic Shockwave dual fluid injection nozzle with CFD analysis tools which yielded a 47% improvement in Sauter Mean Diameter on first bench tested prototype.
- Discovered the Spatial Twist Continuum (dissertation). A dual representation of the all hexahedral finite element mesh that solves the global connectivity problem allowing for the creation of robust fully automated all hexahedral meshing algorithms.
- Owner of a successful business designing and manufacturing high performance engine parts for Jet skis, Snowmobiles and Motorcycles. Supplied precision titanium transducer components for x-ray machines.
- CFD: Star-CD, OpenFoam, XFlow, Nektar++ FEA: Nastran, Abaqus, LS-Dyna, Scan&Solve.
- CAD: ProE, SolidWorks, Rhino3D.
- Programming: C/C++ , C#, Fortran, Cuda, OpenCL, Java, GWT, GXT, Python, VTK, openNURBS.
- Coding: Algorithm development in C#, CFD solver development in C++
- Interface Coding: Website design and Java programming. GUI interface programming design and code implementation.
- Mathematics: Development of Cad methodologies in n-dimensional Euclidean space.
- Composite materials: Component design, stress analysis, tooling design and manufacture.
- CNC: Programming and machining experience.
- Materials: Steels, super alloys, ceramics and composites.
Publications and Patents
- Author, Co-Author and Journalist for peer reviewed venues.
- Inventor of 11 U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Engineering, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT