Electric Generating Plants-Reciprocating Engine Fueled Plants and Boiler Islands Consultant
Technical Consultant #2447
- Power plant boiler applications, fuels, applications, emissions compliance, and reciprocating engine applications.
- Technical and business development for international power generation entities in Europe and the Middle East.
Focused Power Generation Activities
- Large reciprocating engine peaking power plants
- Flexible generation's effect on power grids
- Base loaded reciprocating engine power plant
- Emulsified heavy tars as fuel for SAGD process
- Firming wind power with natural gas
- Bitumen use in fuel oil production from oil sands
- Peaking and intermediate electric generating assets
- Using dispersed generation to provide sustainability and security
- Biodiesel as a renewable fuel for genset technology
- Review and study of NG reciprocating engine power plant
- NG fueled reciprocating-engine power plant commissioning
- Diesel power plant NOx reduction technologies
- Case histories of technologies utilizing coal as a replacement fuel
- Diesel engine and micronized coal - fired combined cycle operation
- Micronized coal firing boiler facility and utility applications
- Power plant hot windbox repowering using medium speed diesel engines
- Combustion approaches and flue gas conditions in coal fired boilers
- Low NOx multiple fuel burner development and application
- Landfill gas and biodiesel as renewables
Undisclosed Company, Proprietor, 2014 - Present
- Began the inception of this firm, consulting and performing sales activities related to electric power generation and principally on Reciprocating Engine plants and steam plants.
- This work has included planning commissioning activities, representing Owners at FATs, helping evaluate equipment offers, preparing purchase specifications for new power plants and reviewing draft contract documents to insure mutual acceptability of the contract requirements.
- Consulting with firms in the power generation segment.
- Prepared bid specifications for new power plants.
- Evaluated bids. Attended FATs. Planned commissioning of plants.
- Wrote procedures then tested plants to determine that functional guarantees were met.
- Reviewed results with suppliers and worked with them to correct issues.
- Recommended to Clients actions to obtain contract compliance.
Wartsila North America, Castle Rock, CO, 1998 - 2014
- Responsible for generating new power plant projects. Established Wartsila NA as a natural gas power plant supplier on the Utility Plant scale.
- Led sales teams that generated essentially all the important Wartsila NA business in the U.S.
- Led marketing efforts to develop new markets in utility, IPP, Cooperative and Municipal markets.
- Led the growth of the natural gas fueled power plant business for Wartsila from nothing to $200 million per year over this time.
- Sold the first 100MW Wartsila plant in the US. Sold the first 200 MW Wartsila plant in the U.S.
Babcock & Wilcox Company, Barberton, OH, 1984 -1998
- Manager of General Industry Projects at Barberton.
- P&L responsibility for the upgrades and new component business in the general industry segment, which included all industrial customers except pulp and paper.
- Managed the business to achieve a compounded 20% revenue growth during my tenure.
- Restored B&W's presence in the refinery and petrochemical arena, through activities in customer organizations, supporting sales contacts, and developing proposal activities in non-traditional areas.
Manager, Europe and Middle East; Milano, Italy
- Established retrofit, spare parts, and new boiler components business for the Region.
- Achievements included significant hardware sales into Italy for the first time in many years, and sales into Saudi Arabia, Israel, and Spain.
- The activities included working with B&W sales representatives and licensees in the various countries.
District Service Manager, Denver, CO
- Directed startup and service work for all B&W equipment in the district.
- Supervised Fifteen to twenty-two commissioning and service engineers.
- Responsible for correcting guarantee and design deficiencies on the large coal fired power plant contracts during the commissioning phase and providing assistance to clients with operating installations.
District Service Manager, Cleveland, OH
- Supervised the orderly "closing down" of the Cleveland Service District due to lack of new business.
- Distributed the geography and the assigned Field Service Engineers to the adjoining Service Districts.
Field Service Coordinator, Barberton, OH
- Supported the field service offices by providing liaison with engineering, recruiting service engineers, and generally providing the home office assistance required for the districts to function smoothly.
- During this assignment spent one year as a functional performance engineer, developing the functional design on new boilers, including two large coal fired utility units.
Field Service Engineer, Cincinnati, OH
- Commissioned new boilers and solved problems on operating boilers.
- Lead Start-up Engineer in charge of several industrial and utility boiler startups, including supercritical design units up to 850 MWs in output.
Arabian American Oil Company, Abqaiq, Saudi Arabia, 1981 - 1984
Supervisor, Plants Utilities Operations Engineering
- Oversaw the site that explores, produces, processes and markets almost all of Saudi Arabia's petroleum.
- Led development of projects to maintain utilities at the desired levels of availability and capability, which included significant debottlenecking projects.
Superintendent; Abqaiq Plants Planning and Programs
- Managed Abqaiq Plants Planning, Preventative Maintenance, Accounting, and PDP program groups.
- As Manager General Industry, oversaw a segment which grew an average 20% per year providing fuel changes, output increases, and emissions controls to both B&W and other boiler plants.
- Led the efforts to build business in the Oil and Gas segment and was able to generate great interest in upgrading old circular CO boilers located in the refineries to a modern design.
Regional Manager; Europe and Middle East
- Developed hardware projects into Europe for the first time in many years, with burner upgrades, pulverizer replacements, and environmental equipment sales to ENEL and others.
- Led a group of ME/CE/EE/ChE engineers in executing debottlenecking projects for the Abqaiq processing facility, which has the capability of processing over 11,000,000 barrels of crude oil and lots of natural gas daily.
- Separate from output expansion projects our team was responsible for keeping Utilities (water, steam, compressed air. electricity) functioning on a day to day basis to support oil and gas production.
- Notable efforts here were to replace boiler burners and controls with modern equipment, replace worn-out components such as compressors, superheaters, economizers and so forth.
- Debottlenecking projects included adding air compressors, water pumps, and enlarging the 625/60 psig PRV stations.
- Responsible In the Planning and Programs assignment for preparing the annual plants budgets, being in charge of the PDPs (locals being sent to the U.S. and elsewhere to engineering schools), maintaining relations with the other segments of Saudi Aramco located in Abqaiq.
- Managed the emergency control center when events occurred that including one emergency, which involved the boiler explosion necessitating maintaining the entire plants area in full operation processing crude and gas.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers-ASME, Life Time Member
- Council of Industrial Boiler Owners-CIBO
- Director of Rocky Mountain Electrical League-RMEL Foundation
- Colorado School of Mines Award for Technical Support
- Author of Chapters, numerous papers presented at Power-Gen ,NREL, ASME Power Conference, Electric Power and International Conferences
- MBA Case Western Reserve University, CWRU, Cleveland, OH
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Vanderbilt University, Nashville, TN