- Thermal and mechanical characterization, fracture and failure analysis, spectroscopy, imaging and microscopy, rheology, reaction kinetics, and structure-property relationship in polymers.
- Polymer physics and chemistry, chemical engineering, and mechanics of materials.
- Programming, data analysis, and statistical analysis with MATLAB and OriginPro.
- Analysis of invention disclosures for patentability and freedom-to-operate (FTO).
- Review and analysis on invention disclosures from a wide range of technologies; materials and chemical science, including but not limited to: polymers, composites, adhesives, nanocomposites, catalysts, chemical sensors, electrochemical cells, sensors, instrumentations, measurement devices, hydrocarbon and petrochemical processes, renewable energy, process and reactor design, catalytic reactions, water desalination plants, refinery and petrochemical plants, power plants, petroleum engineering technologies (e.g. drilling, fracking, and well-logging).
- Drafting and preparation of U.S. patent applications in the above-mentioned technologies.
- Opinions and technical review in thermal, mechanical, compositional characteristics of polymers and composites, fracture and failure in plastics, spectroscopy, microscopy, rheology, reaction kinetics, transport phenomena, and structure-property relationship in polymers.
- Extensive knowledge in adhesives and sealant, thermoset, thermoplastic polymers, polymer resins, amine-cured epoxy systems, nanomaterials, catalysts, chemical sensors, oil and gas operations, catalytic reactions, water desalinations, refineries and petrochemical plants, power plants, sensors, instrumentations, measurement devices, petroleum engineering technologies (e.g. drilling, fracking, well-logging, etc.), mechanics of materials and plastics.
- Data analysis, data interpretation and visualization on a wide range of material and polymer characterization instruments including FTIR, SEM, EDX, DSC, DMA, TGA, TMA, AFM, XRD, SAXS/WAXS, XPS, Rheometer, INSTRON, and Kolsky bars.
- Data analysis and programming with MATLAB.
- Oversee lab processes and a project leader of material characterization facilities and data interpretations.
Expert Witness Experience
- Legal technical advisor in materials science, chemicals, and polymers.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Advisor, 2015 - Present
- Conduct patentability and freedom-to-operate analysis of invention disclosures in a wide range of materials science and engineering, chemical engineering, physical chemistry, and nanotechnology; and reviewed 500 relevant patent and non-patent literatures in those technologies.
- Drafted over 80 original U.S. patent applications in various topics including chemical sensors, catalysts, nanomaterials and nanocomposites, hydrophilic and hydrophobic membranes, coatings, thin films, solar cells, semiconductors, petrochemical processes, petroleum technologies (drilling, well-logging), water treatment plants, and power plants.
Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA, Research, 2010 - 2015
- Developed fracture-toughened thermoset polymers (epoxy) with improved thermo-mechanical properties by inducing nano-scale inhomogeneities in crosslinked polymer networks.
- Programmed 100% of a MATLAB code and analyzed kinetics of polymerization.
- Programmed 100% of a MATLAB code and successfully determined polymer transport properties and visualized water diffusion in polymer membranes.
- Developed self-healing adhesive/coatings by embedding healing agent-containing micro-capsules in crosslinked polymer networks.
- Initiated a collaboration with a group of researchers at Drexel University and successfully simulated the developed polymers using molecular dynamic simulations and predicted macro-molecular properties of the polymers.
- Initiated a collaboration with a group of researchers at University of Delaware and successfully evaluated mechanical properties of the developed polymers under extreme environments at high strain rates.
- Assisted in teaching a number of Chemical Engineering core courses including: Statistics and Designs of Experiments, Mass Transfer, Fluid Mechanics, Process Modeling, Chemical Reactions and Kinetics, Senior Design, etc.
- Trained undergrad/grad students on a wide range of research facilities.
Faraz Sanat Inc., Mashhad, Iran, Sales Engineer, 2009 - 2010
- Technically-supported clients for installation and calibration of sensors, analyzers, and measurement devices.
- Consulted clients and conducted on-site trainings for technicians on measurement devices.
Honors & Publications
- FTIR, SEM, EDX, AFM, XRD, SAXS/WAXS, XPS, GPC, DSC, DMA, TGA, INSTRON, Rheometer, Clean-room experience.
- Software: MATLAB and programming, OriginPro, ChemDraw, MINITAB, ImageJ and image analysis, Microsoft Office.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Intellectual Property Law Association
- University's Most Outstanding Doctoral Dissertation Award in Physical and Life Sciences, Drexel University
- Outstanding Ph.D. student of the year in Chemical Engineering, Drexel University (Award)
- Peebles Award, Adhesion Society, Savannah, GA
- SAMPE University Research Symposium Award in Ph.D.
- TAFDV (Thermal Analysis Forum Delaware Valley) Symposium Award, Philadelphia, PA
- Drexel College of Engineering Dean's Fellowship
- Distinguished paper award in Chemical Engineering, 2nd Iranian National Student Article Contest
- Authored and Co-Author of over 20 peer-reviewed journal articles and conference papers.
- Presented more than 15 conference presentations in conferences and scientific meetings.
- Achieved several outstanding awards recognized by professional organizations.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineer (With Distinction) Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA
- B.S. Petroleum Engineering, Petroleum University of Technology, Abadan, Iran