- Bridging the gap between the research and development lab and commercial pilot units to enable faster process development and more reliable process troubleshooting, especially relating to mixing and agitation technology.
- Mixing industrial chemical technology specific to mixing sensitivities, process development, micro mixing, mass transfer, and scale up.
- Chemical processing and building processes through lab and plan, resolving a broad range of chemical processing challenges.
- Reliable scale-up and scale-down by efficiently determining how fluid mixing technology impacts processes, evaluating proposed mixing design for delivery and required process results.
- Simplify, development and improve processes by applying techniques to generate and reduce process technology options.
Undisclosed Company, Principal, Present
- Enable faster process development and scaling and leverage advantages in mixing technologies.
- Long history of solving tough chemical processing problems by building process understanding to bridge the chasm between the lab and the plant.
- Delivered quicker and more reliable scale-up and scale-down by efficiently determining how fluid mixing technology impacts processes, frequently evaluating if a proposed mixing design could deliver the desired process results.
- Promote development of simpler and improved processes by applying techniques to generate and reduce process technology options.
- Create technology connections within and across organizations which improving management of technical capabilities and raises working level knowledge of technical communities.
Dow Chemical Company, Collegeville - Spring House, PA Expert, 2009 - Present
Process Development Global Subject Matter Expert and Mixing Steward, 2013 - 2018
- Technical Leader in global Advanced Polymer Process Technology area
- Advanced conceptual, experimental, and computational methods which enabled faster and more reliable development, scale-up, troubleshooting, and customer product introduction
- Guided, recommended, and supervised lab, pilot, and production experiments to create process understanding and deliver solutions for previously unmet needs
- Designed and delivered computational tools which were integral parts of development and commercialization work processes.
Principal Research Scientist-Distinguished Engineer in Core Research and Development, 2009 - 2012
- Technical leader in fluid mechanics, analysis areas, mixing and process development.
- Delivered technical solutions to the various businesses in Dow Advanced Materials in the areas of process development, mixing, scale-up, reaction engineering, and economic analysis.
- Often facilitated large group and virtual ideation sessions which delivered innovative solutions to challenging technology problems.
- Integrated the Dow and Rohm and Haas mixing courses, chemical reaction systems scale-up courses, and other methods which delivered improved and simplified chemical processes.
Rohm and Hass Company, Bristol - Spring House, PA, 1982 - 2009
Distinguished Engineer in the Engineering Technical Center, 2000 - 2009
- Technical consultant for all internal businesses.
- Delivered expert technical solutions to satisfy unmet business needs on process development, mixing, scale-up, reaction systems, and cost estimation and financial analysis.
- Developed methodologies to streamline early process development and scale-up.
- Facilitated Brainstorm / Peer Reviews and other ideation methods to generate innovative solutions to technical problems and simpler chemical processes.
Mixing Steward (Corporate), 1996 - 2009
- Mixing Stewards enable all process practitioners at Rohm and Haas to have the appropriate access to and understanding of mixing technology to succeed in their work.
- Co-developer of live and web-based company Introduction to Mixing Technology course
- Taught Scale-Up and Scale-Down in company Reaction Systems Course.
- Company liaison to BHR Group's Fluid Mixing Processes (FMP) Consortium and University of Maryland High Shear Mixing Research Program.
Senior Engineer and Project Leader in AgChem Process Research, 1991 - 2000
- As Senior level in engineering and projects oversaw ingredient process development and scale-up to manufacturing.
- Co-developer of Ag's early process development and process economic analysis methods.
Research Process Engineer and Senior Engineer in Ion Exchange Research, 1982 - 1991
- Process development and scale-up for many ion exchange products.
- Developed optimal designs for suspension polymerization reactors through agitation studies
Honors & Publications
Author and Co-Author or numerous publications (educational text, peer reviewed journals), presentations and conferences sample topics:
- Scale-up-Bourne Protocol
- Transportable Pilot Plant Reactor- Heterogeneous Biodiesel Catalyst
- Study in Small Scale Process Development Using On-Line Reaction Calorimetry and in-situ Particle Characterization
- Reduce Batch Cycle TIme in a Gas-Liquid Reactor
- Inventor-Co-Inventor of 7 patents.
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, (Process Control) Villanova University, Villanova, PA
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Northeastern University, Boston, MA