- Power generation technology: Simple cycle, combined cycle, coal, nuclear, and AQCS (Air Quality Control Systems).
- Power Generation Systems: Process system design, contract administration, and project planning of various power generation technologies.
- Power plants-systems construction, startup, commissioning of projects, operation and maintenance of plant utilities.
- Utilities-Power: Analytical, problem solving and computer application (design calculations, flow modeling).
- P&ID: Drafting, data management, system descriptions, technical specifications, and construction work packaging.
- Engineering, procurement, and construction of projects.
- Engineering services for design evaluation, retrofits, and upgrade of operating units.
- Review heat and mass balance and equipment performance basis.
- System design calculations and governing code validation.
- Thermal and hydraulic analysis with computer flow modeling of process systems PFD's and P&ID's with intelligent engineering data management of lines, valves, and equipment.
- Review of GA, isometrics, civil and structural, electrical and controls drawings.
- Technical specifications, datasheets, bid evaluation, and contract administration.
- Review of supplier engineering design, drawings, and shop test data.
- Project planning, schedule review, cost estimates, and progress evaluate.
- Work packaging, construction support, quality review, contractor coordination, and turnover
- Startup support with pipe cleanliness, equipment check, loop check, and functional check.
- Commissioning of system and facility with operation review from DCS.
- Operation and maintenance of plant utilities.
- Verify design criteria per code requirements and project design manual.
- Utilization of heat-mass and water-mass balances.
- Computerized flow model for thermal and hydraulic design analysis.
- Control valve and safety relief valve sizing along with piping specialty design.
- Generate PFD's/ P&ID's and identify interfaces.
- Create equipment/system datasheets and technical specifications.
- Target zero incident and safe work practices.
- Follow LOTO, complete startup with loop checks and functional checks from DCS.
- Evaluate equipment run and operating data with IOM manual and design basis.
Independent Consultant, Present
- Licensed mechanical engineer executing power generation and utility projects.
- Process system design, contract administration, and project planning with deep understanding of multiple power generation technologies.
- Construction, startup, and commissioning of projects as well as operation and maintenance of plant utilities.
Black & Veatch Corporation, Overland Park, KS, Mechanical Engineer, 2005 - 2017
Tenaska Westmoreland Generating Station (950 MW MHPSA M501J 2x1 CC Project) - EPC
- Lead role in contract administration of MHPSA M501J advanced class CTG and HRSG design interface.
- Designed high energy systems including fuel gas, boiler feedwater, and cooling steam systems.
- Saved 15% of budget price for boiler feed pumps and 8% for fuel gas conditioning system procurement.
- Supported field construction with material receiving inspection and site inventory tracking.
FP&L Lauderdale and Ft Myers Power Plants (7x200 MW GE 7F.05 SC Project) - EPC
- Lead role in contract administration for 6.75 million gallon capacity demineralized water storage tank.
- Administered procurement of fuel oil and water pumps, and fuel gas conditioning package.
- Designed CTG process systems for two jobsites and validation of existing process data systems.
- Supported field construction in identifying the changes required for tie-in to existing fuel gas piping system with ASME code validation, along with existing fuel oil and demineralized water storage tanks.
- Developed flow characterization of auxiliary cooling system for Westar Jeffery Energy Center.
- Analyzed flash tank performance and condensate drain valve sizing for Prairie Star Energy Campus.
- Performed thermal analysis of feedwater heaters and CRH system for OPPD NC2 Turbine Recovery.
- Prepared performance specification to replace CTG and modification work to CTG inlet air cooling and exhaust manifold system for City of Ames Gas Generator Return to Service Project.
GRDA Grand River Energy Center (500 MW MHPSA M501J 1x1 CC Project) - OE
- Lead role in bid evaluation and contract administration of Owner procured CTG and STG.
- Performed preliminary design calculations and coordinated CTG/STG performance data with overall power block aux loads and thermal performance guarantees.
- Developed EPC specification and proposal reviews to comply with CTG, STG, and HRSG design basis.
- Reviewed technical specifications, design drawings, and engineering data submittals of EPC contractor with prime contract scope requirements.
LG&E-KU Cane Run Unit 7 (660 MW Siemens SGT7-500Fee CC Project) - EPC
- Lead role in contract administration of condenser contract with extensive procurement negotiation to save $500,000 from Project budget.
- Contract administration of design and installation of cooling tower along with circulating and auxiliary cooling water pumps.
- Designed condensate and auxiliary steam systems along with condenser performance systems.
- Coordinated P&ID work development with OUS office along with engineering data management.
Eskom ESP to FFP Conversion Projects, South Africa (600 MW PC Units) - Services
- Coordinated with Owner in data collection to develop baseline characterization, evaluate performance differentials, and performance basis to achieve World Bank standard 50mg/Nm3 particulate guarantees.
- Reviewed combustion calculations and draft analysis to develop FFP sizing calculations, and overall heat and mass Balance for the scope of work including PFD's and budgetary cost estimates.
- Lead role in development of specification for upgrade to ESP casing and ductwork, draft modifications, ash handling, and utilities, along with jobsite walkdowns and review of contractor design proposals.
- Recognized for winning additional project work.
- Reviewed performance data of multiple operating units and guided Clients with evaluating range of AQCS technology options, performance bases, design developments, and budgetary cost estimates.
- Lead role in developing contract specification for adding SCR to existing waste heat boilers and purchase of auxiliary boiler along with ammonia systems for Conoco Phillips GOC facility in Texas.
- Responsible role in evaluating the performance data for addition of Baghouse and Wet FGD Scrubbers at multiple coal units for LG&E-KU in Kentucky.
CPS JK Spruce Unit 2 Project (750 MW Alstom PC Unit) - EPC
- Lead role in startup and commissioning of AQCS equipment including Baghouse and Wet FGD along with supporting systems of ash collection, limestone handling, slurry systems, solid separation, and drains.
- Supported additional roles with the startup/commissioning of boiler recirculation system, circulating water system, service water system, and compressed air system.
- Coordination with Owner's engineering staff and control room operators during system checkouts, cleaning activities, loop checks, functional checks, and test runs followed by operating data validation.
AEP Kyger Creek Wet FGD WWTP Project (5x250 MW PC Unit) - EPC
- Lead role in supervision of prime construction contractor and sub-contractors in daily work schedules, constructability review and system walkdowns to document as-built drawings.
- Evaluated construction records for quality and test reports to support startup and commissioning.
- Performed functional checks and integration with existing facilities along with performance data check.
AEP Kyger Creek Wet FGD Project (5x250 MW PC Unit) - Services
- Designed BOP systems and modifications to existing system tie-ins including water and draft path.
- Supervised BOP construction and review of field changes to comply with construction specification.
AEP Kyger Creek PRB Coal Conversion Project (5x250 MW PC Unit) - Services
- Designed BOP systems to interface with existing systems to support fuel conversion to PRB coal.
- Developed construction specifications for BOP work and coal handling system upgrades, along with coordination of site work development and completion.
Bechtel Power Corporation, Frederick, MD Mechanical Engineer, 2000 - 2005
- Worked on engineering, procurement, and construction of Combined Cycle and Nuclear Power Projects in various roles within EPC and engineering services project environment.
TVA Browns Ferry Nuclear Plant Unit 1 Restart (1,200 MW GE BW Reactor EPU) - Services
- Reviewed design basis documents, heat and mass balance diagram, and process flow diagrams for the 120 percent extended power uprate analysis of NSSS and BOP piping system and equipment.
- Prepared and revised design calculations for line sizing, valve sizing, and equipment rating along with PFD updates.
PG&E Mantua Creek Generating Station (3x260 MW GE 7FB 1x1 CC Project) - EPC
- Lead role in contract administration of fuel gas compressors and heaters, and coordination of GE furnished fuel gas package equipment along with overall design.
- Designed fuel gas supply system, auxiliary steam system, and main steam vents and drain system.
Enka Turkey BOO Power Projects (5x800 MW GE 9FA 2x1 CC Power Blocks) - EPC
- Lead role in contract administration of general service pumps, oil water separators, and miscellaneous piping components as relief valves, filters, and emergency shower and eyewash.
- Designed demineralized water supply system, potable water supply system, and waste water system.
Ohio University, Athens, OH, Mechanical Engineer, Facilities Management, 1998 - 1999
- Worked on developing operations and maintenance manual along with system descriptions for the heating plant.
- Performed system walkdowns and drafted as-built P&ID's, valve tagging, and work schedules.
Larsen & Toubro Limited, Nashik, Maharashtra, India, Mechanical Engineer, 1995 - 1998
- Engineering, procurement, construction of glass container manufacturing unit with four manufacturing lines.
- Startup and commissioning of the process facility along with mechanical utilities.
- Operation and maintenance of mechanical utilities along with supervision of union crew on multi-shift basis.
Honors & Publications
- ASHRAE - HVAC Design and Operation Training
- PMI - PMP 35 Hours Continuing Education
- Professional Engineer - P.E. (Maryland)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- American Society of Heating, Refrigeration and Air-Conditioning Engineers
- M.S. Mechanical Engineering, Ohio University, Athens, OH
- B.E. Mechanical Engineering, College of Engineering, Pune, India