Fluorine, Fluorosurfactants, Fluorinated Products and Refrigerants Consultant
Technical Consultant #2411
- Fluorine industry chemist: Creating new molecules, developing new process technology, commercializing of new high-value products and providing over thirty years of experience.
- Electronics (fluorine etchants and deposition agents)
- Pharmaceuticals (fluorinated steroids, nucleotides, and aromatics)
- Agricultural (fluorinated herbicides, and pesticides)
- Low-GWP refrigerants and foam expansion agents)
- Fluorinated monomers and polymers, fluorosurfactants, and inorganic fluorine compounds).
- Synthesis of inorganic fluorine compounds and organic (organofluorine) fluorine compounds.
- Selective fluorination including electrophilic (F+ ), nucleophilic (F*), and radical (F*).
- Selectfluor® chemistry including synthesis, industrial manufacturing, safety issues, analysis, and analytical issues.
- Steroid fluorination chemistry, aromatic fluorination chemistry, halogen exchange chemistry, Halex chemistry, Balz-Schieman chemistry, Simon cell chemistry, ECF, electrochemical fluorination.
- Deoxofluorination chemistry including DeoxoFluor™ and DAST synthesis, manufacturing and use, SF4 manufacturing and use chemistry.
- Electronic gas synthesis and manufacturing including Nitrogen trifluoride, NF3, tungsten hexafluoride, WF6, carbon tetrafluoride, CF4, hexafluorobutadiene, C4F6, hexafluoroethane, C2F6, sulfur hexafluoride, SF6, hexafluoropropane, C3F8, octafluorocyclobutane, C4F8, etching gases, reactive ion etching gases, and atomic layer etching gases.
- Refrigerant process chemistry, synthesis, and manufacturing including 134a, low-GWP compounds 1233zd, 1234yf, 1234ze, HCF2Cl, R-22, HFC-22, H2CF2, R-32, HFC-32, and hydrofluoroolefins (HFOs),
- F2 generation, fluorine synthesis, fluorine manufacturing, fluorine cell chemistry, fluorine cell troubleshooting, safety, and analytical.
- HF chemistry, hydrogen fluoride generation and manufacturing, and HF safety.
- Fluorination process hazards reviews and process safety, and fluorination EH&S.
- Transportation of fluorine compounds and fluorine materials compatibility.
- Inorganic fluorine chemistry, transition metal fluorides, main-group fluorine chemistry, noble gas compounds, xenon difluoride, XeF2.
- New molecule discovery, process development and optimization, scale up, plant support, hazards assessment and regulatory issues, analytical methods development, product stewardship, and safety testing.
- Safe use and handling of the most aggressive, toxic, and reactive chemicals known including 100% fluorine, HF, SF4 and many other high-oxidation state inorganic fluorine compounds, including pyrophorics; silane and disilane and powerful reducing agents including LiAlH4.
- Delivered commercial products including Selectfluor (I) and (II) Electrophilic Fluorination Agents, DeoxoFluor reagent, and improved process technology for commercial products that include NF3, SiF4, C4F6, and F2.
- Synthesis and process chemistry of reactive hydrides and pyrophoric gases, liquids, and solid materials with photovoltaic and semiconductor applications.
- HF process research and development in support of the 4th generation low-GWP fluorochemicals 1234yf, 1233zd, and new fluorine molecule development with specialized applications in electronics and biologically active systems.
- Specialties: New molecule creation, process development, and optimization, scale up, trouble-shooting, hazards recognition and assessment, analytical methods development.
Undisclosed Company, Chief Scientist, Present
- Responsible for research and development and new product development for electronics applications.
University at Albany, (SUNY), Department of Chemistry, Scientist,2009 - Present
- Providing opportunities for graduate students and post docs to interact with industrial chemists and to work on and solve problems of commercial importance in fluorine chemistry and technology.
Fluorine Chemistry and Technology, LLC, Allentown, PA, Principal, 2009 - Present
- Providing consulting services in all areas of industrial fluorine chemistry and technology.
- Responsible for the development of new fluorine chemistry and technology to solve customers' fluorination problems.
- Technology is based on the safe handling and use of F2, HF, SF4 and another fluorination technologies.
- Provides consulting services to the fluorochemical and related industries in the areas of fluorine generation, fluorination agents, electronic gases and chemicals for deposition, implant, and etching, surface modification of plastics and other materials, pharmaceutical active compounds, and environmentally friendly fluorocarbons such as low-GWP solvents and reagents.
ACS, Division of Fluorine Chemistry, Treasurer, 1999 - Present
- Responsible for financial management of Division's operations and assets.
Arkema Inc., King of Prussia, PA, Research Fellow - Fluorine Chemistry, 2011 - 2017
- A leadership role in the technology development for 2 of Arkema's key future low-GWP products, 1234yf (for refrigeration) and 1233zd (for foam expansion).
- Responsible for diversification and new products in the fluorochemicals product portfolio. Played leading technical role in developing of new fluorochemical products for adjacent markets in electronics etching, Li-ion batteries and pharmaceutical and agricultural intermediates.
Voltaix, LLC, Branchburg, NJ, New Product Development Scientist, 2009 - 2011
- Responsible for new product development of silanes, aminosilanes, and deposition agents for use in electronics applications.
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Allentown, PA, Research Associate, 1987 - 2009
- Responsible for fluorination chemistry and process technology.
- Responsible for the development and commercialization of selective fluorination technology including, successful commercialization of Selectfluor®, DeoxoFluor&8482, and several fluorinated gases for electronic applications in etching and chamber cleaning.
- Leading role in F2 generation chemistry, fluorine process chemistry and optimization.
Honors & Publications
- French, conversational, reading and writing.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Research Fellow, Lehigh University Department of Chemistry, Bethlehem, PA
- Visiting Scientist, University of Albany Department of Chemistry, Albany, NY
- Named Fellow of the American Chemical Society
- ACS Division of Fluorine Chemistry Distinguished Service Award
- R&D Magazine's R&D-100 Award for development of Selectfluor®
- Air Products Extraordinary Achievement Award
- 17 peer-reviewed journal publications.
- 17 invited or plenary lectures at international fluorine chemistry conferences.
- 36 contributed lectures at international fluorine conferences.
- 19 issued or patents pending
- Ph.D. Chemistry - Inorganic Fluorine Chemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- H.BSc. (With Honours), Chemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada
- B.Sc. Chemistry, McMaster University, Hamilton, Ontario, Canada