- Micro and macroelectrode fabrication.
- Material characterization (structural and electrical).
- Methods to join carbon materials, including active brazing.
- Laser welding and micromachining.
- Biocompatibility and biostability testing.
- Tissue engineering (cell culture).
- Carbon materials: diamond, graphene, and carbon nanotubes.
- Brain-machine interfacing.
- Fabrication and electrochemical characterization of electrodes.
- Photolithographic methods and thin film deposition.
- Microfabrication: Laser machining and laser welding.
- Methods to join carbon materials electrically, including active brazing.
- Electrochemical detection of biomolecules.
Undisclosed University, Present
NIH Postdoctoral Research Fellow
- Micro- and nanofabrication of biosensors.
Undisclosed Company, Present
CTO and Co-founder
- Managing director
Undisclosed Company, Present, 2017 - Present
- The initial creation of prototypes and experimental design, including electrode design and fabrication.
- Current studying of controlled hydrolysis for the creation of gas bubbles with specific diameters.
University of Melbourne, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, 2013 - Present
- Create medical devices using carbon materials, including diamond, graphene, and carbon nanotubes.
- Specific design of high-density, high electrode count electrode arrays for brain-machine interfacing, this includes development of electrode coatings to improve the interfacial properties, as well as integration with control electronics and surgical implantation.
Post Graduate Work
- Study of carbonaceous composites for neural interfacing, including electrode fabrication, electrochemical characterization, surgical implantation and device development.
- Photolithography to create thin metal and ceramic film electrode arrays for electrophysiology.
- Rheological studies of sucrose solutions to create water-soluble microneedles for flexible electrode insertion.
Centre for Eye Research, Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, PA, 2012 - 2013
- Fulbright and Whitaker Fellow
- Computational modeling of retinal neurons.
- OCT-guided retinal prosthesis design.
Cook Myosite, Pittsburgh, PA, Research Associate, 2008 - 2011
- Develop an animal protein-free cryopreservation medium for human muscle stem cells.
- Co-culture study of human muscle cells and endothelial cells in hypoxic environments to create in vitro angiogenesis.
- All studies included immunohistochemistry and real-time polymerase chain reaction to characterize the cells.
Honors & Publications
- English (native)
- Spanish (basic; reading)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Materials Research Society
- Biomedical Engineering Society
- Melbourne Materials Institute - Commonwealth Scientific and Industrial Research Organization Ph.D. stipend
- Fulbright Fellowship
- Whitaker Fellowship
- St. Vincent's Research Endowment Fund
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of educational text and peer reviewed scientific journals.
- Co-Inventor of World and U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Physics (Materials Science), University of Melbourne, Melbourne Victoria, Australia
- B.S.E. Bioengineering (Chemistry minor), University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA