- Synthesis, modification, formulation of polymer materials.
- Develop polymer chemical and physical structures for material properties in applications.
- Analytical expertise to solve problems and identify products, IR, NMR, thermal techniques, GC/MS, GPC, SEM, TEM, AFM, ESR, particle analysis, fluorescence, microarray, in vitro and in vivo models.
- Thermodynamic analysis for mixing and miscibility, wetting, swelling, and diffusion.
- Develop products, including adhesives, sealants, coatings, films, elastomers, dense materials, foams, wovens, and non-wovens.
- Develop biomaterials for medical devices and wound healing.
- Scale and develop polymer processes for efficiency and quality concerns.
- Management of innovation portfolios, global intellectual property, stage gate processes, product concept, statements, real-win -worth assessments, risk matrices.
- Epoxy networks and thermoplastics, dense and foamed
- Propylene, with diene (EP and EPDM)
- Thermoplastic olefins (TPO)
- Thermoplastic vulcanizates (TPV)
- Polyethylene oxide, PEG
- Polylactic acid, polylactide, and copolymers
- Tetrafluoroethylene copolymers
- Styrene-butadiene copolymers
- Polyamide (nylon)
Undisclosed Company, Director, Research and Development, 2011 - 2017
- Directed a research and development group of 35 to solve problems, develop materials for commercial needs, and create new technologies for future products.
- Initiation and management of an innovation portfolio, with projects ranging from existing product derivation to new technology development.
- Helped define and manage product concept statements, stage gate processes, and real-win-worth assessments.
- Managed global intellectual property in materials, directly contributing new patentable technologies, organizing strategy, and supporting prosecution and opposition to IP threats.
- Hands-on syntheses of high Tg (glass transition temperature) thermoplastic epoxies and reversible thermosets, for pultruded products, stress relief in adhesives that bond dissimilar substrates, and adhesive films.
- Developed novel materials for bonding low energy surfaces.
- Solved quality problems in structural adhesives and tapes, accounting for more than half of U.S. revenue.
W L Gore & Associates, Newark, DE, Sr Research Scientist, 2001 - 2011
- Principal scientist in the Medical Products Division, working in research, development, product design, and material development for general surgical and cardiovascular applications.
- Pooled ideas and resources from polymer biomaterial structure, radiation chemistry, oxidative assays, ESR spectroscopic studies, and in vivo protein assays to develop medical devices that promote safe and effective healing in surgical procedures and chronic wound indications.
- Synthesized, characterized and showed biocompatibility for new bio-resorbable shape memory polymers with transitions at physiological temperatures.
Wacker Silicones, Adrian, MI, Business Leader, 1999 - 2001
- Business leader for a $15 million sealants business, including products from basic chemicals to finished products.
- Multifunctional management of resources across international borders. Developed the first packaged sealant product for Wacker to market in North America.
Flexfab International, Racine WI Engineering Director ,1995 - 1999
- Hands-on Director/Scientist for a silicone material conversion business.
- Directed engineering design, new material formulation and process development for customer applications in the automotive, medical, and electronic industries.
- Formulated silicone material for electrical connectors and medical valves.
Dow Corning Corp., Midland, MI, Sr Research Specialist, 1992 - 1995
- Central research scientist responsible for scientific and technical development of silicone materials in automotive, electronic, and sealant applications.
- Identified and described thermodynamic reasons for engine oil leak in silicone head gaskets.
- Developed hyperelastic material models of silicone materials and used such models in finite element analysis of gaskets to properly distribute stress and mitigate engine oil leaks.
Ford Motor Company, Dearborn, MI, Research Senior Scientist, 1983 - 1992
- Directed thermal analysis laboratory for the company, including DSC, TGA, and TMA.
- Core scientist responsible for fundamental research and development of new polymeric materials for automotive components.
- Consultant to transmission engineering and fuel conduit teams.
Honors & Publications
- Center for Creative Leadership-Leadership development program
- Stanford University course in cardiovascular physiology
- Professional Engineer-P.E. Michigan
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- Adhesive and Sealant Council
Publications and Patents
- Author of several publications in scientific journals.
- Inventor-Co-Inventor of several patents.
- Ph.D. Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL