Industrial & Power Plant Instrumentation, Process Control, and Flow Measurement Expert
Technical Consultant #2394
- Consumer guides for various flow and level measurement technologies in municipal and manufacturing industries.
- Industrial flow measurement, instrumentation and process control.
- Variable speed drives.
- Hazard reviews.
- Energy conservation, system efficiency, system simplification, operating flexibility, reliability and maintainability.
- Regulatory and safety: RCRA, cGMP and NFPA/NEC - Waste and hazardous waste water.
- Perform flow laboratory uncertainty analysis.
- Protocols for testing competitive instruments.
- Energy cost reduction through substituting a waste fume for combustion air and by atomizing with plant air instead of steam.
- Energy conservation.
Expert Witness Experience
- Determined that sewage flowmeters used for billing were not accurate and helped persuade party to correct said installations.
- Arbitration for allegations that the instrumentation review process caused construction delays.
- Investigated an incident where swimming pool chemicals mixed to produce a chlorine cloud in which the individual was injured.
- Conducted a performance review of a flowmeter measuring and billing for effluent to the water treatment facility to defend allegations that the flowmeter was measuring erroneously low for many years.
- Defended the claims of 50 year-old flowmeters (not calibrated for 7 years) passing approximately $200 million of steam per year were inaccurate.
Undisclosed Company, Principal, 2002 - Present
- Provides instrumentation, process control and market research consulting services to industry and manufacturers.
- Developed Consumer Guides for various flow and level measurement technologies.
- Wrote various market studies and analysis.
- Instructor: Industrial Flow Measurement seminars.
- Performs expert witness work.
- Provides consulting services to various manufacturers and end-users.
C&P, Chestnut Ridge, NY, Principal, 1986 - Present
- Provides instrumentation and process control consulting services to industry and manufacturers.
- Specialization in flow measurement, advanced regulatory control and the application of variable speed drives.
- Taught numerous flow measurement and instrumentation seminars.
- Performed expert witness work including testimony in Federal court.
Nepera, Harriman, NY, Lead Utility and Instrumentation Engineer, 1983 - 1998
- Managed the instrumentation, electrical, and utility areas on a plant wide basis, including long range capital planning, utility process engineering, boiler and incinerator controls.
- Energy conservation and the development and implementation of capital projects addressing system efficiency, system simplification, operating flexibility, reliability and maintainability. Familiar with RCRA, cGMP and NFPA/NEC.
- Increased profitability by $1,100,000 (U.S.) per year, by installing novel control valves that increased main reactor and byproduct processing capacities by 15% and 33%.
- Reduced annual energy costs by $ 250,000, (U.S.) by substituting a waste fume for combustion air and by atomizing with plant air instead of steam.
- Eliminated the need for an expenditure of $ 75,000 (U.S.) plus ongoing maintenance expenses and environmental problems by championing a hazard review that eliminated the need for explosion doors.
Mobay Chemical, Pittsburgh, PA, Senior Process Control Systems Engineer, 1980 - 1983
- Executed the instrumentation portion of capital projects throughout the corporation.
- Non-project assignments included the development of an instrumentation estimating procedure and a flowmeter technology study.
United States Steel, Pittsburgh, PA, Instrumentation Engineer - Corporate Staff, 1975 - 1980
- Performed the scoping, estimating, specification, preparation of installation drawings, and startup assistance for process instrumentation systems on various steel-making processes.
- Effectively coordinated the activities of outside engineering contractors and vendors. Spent 12 months in Brazil directing calibration, checkout, dry run and startup.
- Instructor teaching industrial flow measurement and variable speed drive seminars at the ISA Training Center, ISA International Conferences, and at various other locations.
- Instructor teaching variable speed drive technology seminars for the Association of Energy Engineers.
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer-P.E. (Connecticut)
- Portuguese - Fluent
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- (ISA) Flow measurement and variable speed drives for process control
- Member of American Society of Mechanical Engineers, Measurement of Fluid Flow in Closed Conduits Main Committee and various subcommittees Member of ISO TC30 SC9 WG4 - Selection of Flowmeters
- INTECH Editorial Advisory Board Member
- Flow Control Editorial Advisory Board Member
- INTECH Brasil Editorial Advisory Board Member
- Knovel Editorial Advisory Board Member
- International Speaker: ISA meetings and conferences including, Global Conference and Exhibition on Innovative Solutions in Flow Measurement and Control (flotek.g)
- Education and Development in Flow Measurement Technology (ISA)
- Chemical Industry Engineer of the Year recognizing - instrumentation and control
- Instrument Society of America; Douglas H. Annin Award recognizing, (Flowmeters)
- Instrument Society of America Process Measurement and Control Division Best Paper Award
- International Society of Automation (ISA), Life Fellow for contributions in flow measurement
- International Author and Co-Author of over 10 books and over 400 technical articles-subject matter:
- Flow Measurement
- Level Measurement
- Variable Speed Drives
- Process Control
- M.S. Electrical Engineering (Optimal Control), University of Illinois, Champaign, IL
- B.S. Electrical Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT