- Hit generation, lead identification, and lead optimization. Strategies, implementation plans and problem solving.
- Drug Discovery - "Concept to Clinic" - Road map and expectations. Goal setting, testing schemes, progression path tracking.
- Intellectual Property - Assessment, strategies and management. Due diligence on prior art, patentability. Expert witness
- Drug discovery across therapeutic areas - Pain, inflammation, cardiovascular, metabolic, oncology and antimicrobial therapeutics.
- PK/PD (Pharmacokinetic and Pharmacodynamic) correlations of drug molecules - Evaluation of ADME profile and recommendations to address gaps.
- Strategies to build risk balanced portfolio. Mentoring and leading discovery teams to success.
- Project Management - Experience leading teams in preclinical, IND enabling and phase-I studies. Strong connectivity with quality, specialty pharma CROs (preclinical and clinical).
- Documents and Reports - Preparation and review.
- Due Diligence - In-licensing and out-licensing assets or projects.
- Good knowledge of pharma industry trends - Experience working in large, mid-size and small biotech companies across the globe.
Undisclosed Company, Chief Executive Officer, 2015 - Present
- Biopharmaceutical company focusing on the discovery and development of innovative small molecule products for treatment of unmet needs in painful peripheral neuropathy and Parkinson's disease.
- Leading discovery efforts to identify lead candidates for clinical validation.
Kareus Therapeutics SA/Kareus Therapeutics LLC., Atlanta GA and Switzerland, 2010 - 2015
Chief Advisor and Head, Pre-Clinical and Medicinal Chemistry
- Provided strategic and technical leadership in the drug discovery projects in diabetes and chronic pain.
- Led diabetes project from "concept to clinic". Lead molecule from diabetes completed Phase-I successfully.
Reddy US Therapeutics, Atlanta, GA, Vice President, 2003 - 2009
- Provided overall strategy and leadership for global drug discovery projects in cardiometabolic disorders, inflammation, and anti-microbial therapeutics.
- Led First in Class, Best in Class and Drug Repositioning discovery projects yielding two molecules in clinic; one is active in P-II.
- Promoted to Site Head for Reddy US Therapeutics.
- Member of Discovery Management Council and Executive Leadership Team.
Pfizer/Pharmacia/Searle, Skokie, IL, Senior Research Advisor and Fellow, 1986 - 2003
- Joined Searle filling the position as Principal Investigator and rose through discovery ranks to Senior Research Advisor and Fellow with increasing technical and management responsibilities.
- Designed and discovered novel therapeutics in inflammation and pain, cardiovascular, anti-infective and oncology therapeutics.
- Co-inventor of First in Class celecoxib, with Celebrex being commercialized.
- Participated as an internal reviewer and consultant for discovery projects.
- Member of the steering committees to evaluate and implement new technologies with drug discovery.
- Member Fellow Program and Discovery Research Leadership Team.
Searle, Skokie, IL, Research Collaborator, 1984 - 1986
- Development of novel methodologies of broad synthetic utility. The research led to multiple publications in international science journals.
University of Kansas, Lawrence, KS, Department of Medicinal Chemistry, 1981 - 1984
- Designed and synthesized novel anthracylcine antitumor agents to reduce cardiotoxicity associated with daunorubicin.
- Studied the structural activity relationships and mechanism of action on the class of Quinolone class of antibiotics. The research led to multiple publications in international science journals.
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer-P.E
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Reviewer for Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Bioorganic and Medicinal Chemistry, European
- Journal of Medicinal Chemistry, Drug Discovery Today, Expert Opinion on Therapeutic Patents,
- Journal of Organic Chemistry, Journal of Carbohydrate Chemistry, Tetrahedron Letters, Organic
- Letters, CNS & Neurological Disorders - Drug Targets, Evidence-Based Medicine,
- Pharmacological Research, Mini Reviews in Medicinal Chemistry, Letters in Drug Design and Discovery, Future Medicinal Chemistry
- Reviewer for GRA Ventures Grant Proposals
- Mentor - TI:GER Program, Georgia Institute of Technology, Emory University
- American Chemical Society - ACS
- Pfizer Research Fellow
- Pharmacia Fellow
- Searle Fellow
Publications and Patents
- Lead author or co-author of 35 peer reviewed publications in international journals.
- Invited speaker or presenter at international conferences or institutes.
- Co-inventor of 85 issued or published U.S. patents.
- Ph.D. Synthetic Chemistry, National Chemical Laboratory, University of Bombay, Bombay, India
- B.Sc. Chemical Technology, (Dept. of Chem.Tech, UDCT), University of Bombay, Bombay India