- Touchscreen and tablet hardware/controllers
- User interfaces: haptics, and gestures.
- Touchscreen graphics.
- Digital Rights Management (DRM).
- Digital encryption/decryption (PKI).
- Malware detection.
- Source-code analysis, including firmware.
- Accessibility interfaces (blind / visually impaired).
Expert Witness Experience
- Patent review; user interfaces and hardware for pressure-sensing capacitive touchscreens.
- Declaration and USPTO patent reexamination of U.S. patents.
- Declarations and deposition for patent owner concerning touchscreen user interfaces for hand-held radiotelephones.
- Expert witness for defendant in U.S. patent case on multimedia DRM (Digital Rights Management) and secure systems for mobile devices.
- Expert witness for defendant in a U.S. patent concerning business practices in California under the Cartwright Act.
- Expert witness for defendant concerning encryption and decryption in conjunction with smartcards.
- Declaration and report in support of petitioner review in rendering of transparency in graphics images and touch screen user-interface methods of a U.S. patent.
- Expert witness for defendant concerning multi-touch hardware for mobile devices.
Undisclosed Company, Owner and Consultant, 2008 - Present
- Development for multiple clients, including: Laboratory information processing for biomedical drug-discovery company.
- Digital audio HW/SW Agile verification automation for massive VOIP technology.
- Consulting/development for TV-band datacasting architecture.
- Technical consulting, review, development for web-based collaborative work systems.
- Prior-art research and source-code analysis in patent litigations (confidential).
- Technical assistance to Boston-area attorney in solo practice (patent prosecution only).
- Litigation Support and Expert Witnessing.
- Patent analysis and prior art research.
- Source-code analysis and reverse engineering.
- Expert report writing.
- Testimony at deposition and trial.
- Cases involve major high-tech entities such as Google and Samsung.
- Matters in both Federal District Court and before the USPTO, State Court (California), and internationally, (Australia).
Professional Employment, 2007 - 1974
Bluesocket Inc., MA, Staff
- Software development and engineering process (with QA Director and VP Eng.) for a distributed wireless network controller product with integrated security.
- Verification of SSL/TLS and VPN features in multiple hardware devices and SIP mobile phones.
C.S., MA, Principal Engineer
- Multi-platform product for malware/virus detection, including techniques of behavioral analysis.
- Two patent filings on techniques (violation of invariant conditions) for detection of rootkits and malware.
Digimarc, MA, Consultant
- Application of PKI technology in fabrication and production of secure identity documents.
- One patent filing regarding PKI signatures to ensure authenticity and track unauthorized issuance of security documents such as passports.
- Secure Web development in high-availability/high-performance applications
- Mobile payments using modified mobile phones.
- International certification of a life-critical annunciation system.
- Prior-art research for two clients: pen-computing hardware and handwriting recognition.
Public Key Infrastructure Systems Architect
- Distributed web applications involving proprietary PKI in e-commerce.
- Three patent filings regarding PK infrastructure for distributed electronic signing.
Siemens/Nixdorf, MA, Consultant
- Development of cryptographic PKI/security technology for DRM licensing of documents and materials distributed without restriction over the public Internet.
E-parcel.com, MA, Development Group Leader
- Secure, encrypted document and software delivery systems for "push" distribution over public Internet.
- Instituted engineering tracking and QA process.
Fax International, MA, Consultant
- Automated Email-to-FAX gateway.
- Tracking system for routing of fax traffic over private TCP/IP network.
DEC/Digital, MA, Consultant
- Networking system for WindowsNT-based graphics/applications terminal using ALPHA technology.
DMR Group, MA, Consultant
- Proprietary application scripting language, associated compilers, debuggers, and tools.
Phoenix Technologies, MA, Consultant
- Firmware for a multiple-language, multiple-resolution network printer (PostScript/PCL).
Termiflex Corporation, NH, Consultant
- Compiler, linker, interpreter, and related tools for an object-based programming language for applications in hand-held touchpad industrial controller terminals.
Slate Corporation, MA, Staff
- Development of tablet and pen computing applications products for the Microsoft PenWindows and GO/PenPoint pen-computing operating systems.
- Company representative and technical co-chair of an industry standardization effort ("JOT") for electronic ink data format and compression applications.
Wang Laboratories, MA, Senior Software Architect
- Lead developer for touchscreen digitizer and controller/driver software to provide enhanced functionality to a portable computer as part of the "Freestyle" tablet-digitizer-based computer applications family.
- Representative to early Pen Windows discussions with Microsoft concerning mobile tablet computers.
- Hardware design of an electrostatic tablet digitizer/touchscreen for a mobile tablet computer.
- Patents on novel pen-based UI involving virtual devices.
Teledyne/Tac, MA, Director
- Software group leader for computer-controlled industrial automation for IC wafer testing and Senior Software Engineer.
P.I., MA, Lead Engineer
- Group leader for company's handwriting/gesture recognition and pen-computing digitizer tablets and hardware controllers through three generations of products.
- Patents related to pen-computing UI (user interface) and pen-computing digitizers.
D.C Corporation, MA, Senior Engineer and Analyst
- Specialized implementation tools for real-time digital audio signal processing and testing.
- Early work as consultant for Penverter Partners (predecessor to Pencept).
Data General Corporation, MA, Senior Systems Programmer
- Compiler development.
Honors & Publications
- Accessibility technology for visually-impaired-blind.
- Independent Study, Philipps-Universitat, Marburg, Germany
- Fluent in German
- Technical reading in Spanish
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Associate Member, IEEE (Institute of Electrical and Electronics Engineers)
- Member, ACM (Association for Computing Machinery)
- Member, SID (Society for Information Display)
- Member, VIBUG (Visually-Impaired/Blind User Group: Regional technical society)
Publications and Patents
- Author of publications in peer reviewed journals and educational text.
- Presentations and Instructor
- Numerous patents (U.S. and E.U.)
- S.B.E.E. Computer Science and Electrical Engineering, Massachusetts Institute of Technology, Cambridge, MA