- Industrial gas industry production: Methods, supply modes, application technology, identifying hazards, creating safe practices in design, engineering, fabrication, and operation.
- Oxygen enrichment of combustion processes such as fluid catalytic cracking (FCC), sulfur recovery units (SRU), cement clinker, lime kiln, and non-ferrous metal melting.
- Oxygen enrichment of chemical oxidation processes such as copper sulfate production via sulfating of copper oxide, and terephthalic acid production via oxidation of para-xylene.
- Nitrogen gas applications including: Inerting and purging of tanks and vessels storing flammables, combustibles, pipelines, and steam, high pressure nitrogen vehicle tire curing.
- Liquid Nitrogen (LIN) cryogenic cooling of processes such as low temperature pharmaceutical reactions (statins), High Temperature Superconducting (HTS) cables, equipment, grinding, size reduction of rubber, plastics, braided, reinforced hydraulic rubber hose, and food freezing.
- Industrial gas safety - oxygen, nitrogen, and hydrogen.
- Process safety: hazards assessment using HAZOP methodology, and operational readiness inspection (ORI).
- Process pressure relief approach, methods, and instrumentation.
- Chemical process simulation (ASPEN Plus).
- Technical product and offering development (stage gate) and commercialization.
- Technology transfer.
- Developing and executing go-to-market plans.
- Technical sales: Prospecting, opportunity assessment, qualification, technical and economic proposal, contract closing, implementation.
- Building, training, and managing technical sales teams.
- Chemical and industrial process improvement to achieve incremental capacity (debottlenecking) or reduce operating cost.
- International business (Asia and Latin America), and joint venture operation.
Undisclosed Company, Lead Process Engineer, Present
- Leading the design and engineering of chemical processes that meet the technical and financial objectives of clients in the oil, chemical, pharma, and other process industries.
Independent Contractor, Process Industry Consultant, Present
- Industrial gas applications, process safety, technology transfer, process engineering and economics, process de-bottlenecking, root cause assessment, and troubleshooting.
Specific Client Services
- Chemical process industry and markets
- Industrial gas industry and applications
- Process and operational safety
- Process debottlenecking, cost reduction
- Technology transfer
- Offering development, commercialization
- Developing, implementing market plans
- Building, coaching, managing tech. teams
- Joint venture operation
- International business
Rembe Inc 2, Charlotte, NC, Business Development Manager, North America, 2015 - 2016
- Established the North American market entry of this German firm's process rupture disc line
- Improved customer satisfaction by modifying the work process which improved quote clarity and reduced quote response time by 70% (from 2 weeks to 3 days).
- Extended the base business beyond equipment sales by initiating engineering services.
Air Products and Chemicals, Inc., Allentown, PA, 1988 - 2015
Manager International Commercial Technology, 2012 - 2015
- Contributed to the successful integration of an $880 million South American acquisition by signing 3 new technology accounts (food freezing, aluminum melting, mineral processing).
- Achieved preferred supplier status for a $10 million green-field opportunity in Europe by successfully demonstrating new technology at the customer's South Korean tire plant.
- Improved market presence, lead generation, and customer relationship by developing a quarterly newsletter for the Asian chemical processing industry. 10 indirect reports.
Chemical Process Industry Lead, Gases-International Commercial Technology, 2007 - 2012
- Led the Asian and Latin American segment teams to achieve the annual account signing goals of $5 million and $1 million annual revenue, respectively. 10 indirect, 2 direct reports.
- Established AP as the market leader in oxygen enrichment technology for refinery, chemical, and other industrial processes by signing accounts in Asia, USA and Europe.
- Achieved 30% equipment cost reduction and 25% schedule improvement by leading the localization of sourcing of applications equipment within India and China.
- Led the offering development and commercialization of cryogenic cooling systems for the pharmaceutical industry which generated $350,000 repeating annual revenue in China and India.
- Coached junior engineers in Asia and Latin America enabling them to come up the learning curve 20% faster by developing and delivering technology-specific training.
Senior Principal Engineer, Commercial Gases Technology, International Division, 2003 - 2007
- Signed sulfur recovery accounts which generated $4 million in repeating annual revenue by developing a process simulation and integrating it into assessment and selling efforts.
- Extended the Thai joint venture's markets into paper and oil refining by signing accounts with annual revenues of $300,000 and $3 million, respectively. 5 indirect reports.
- Broadened the U.S. infusion into pharmaceuticals by signing a cryogenic account which generated $150,000 in equipment revenue and $175,000 in repeating annual revenue.
Principal Industry Engineer, Commercial Technology, 1999 - 2002
- Key contributor to the successful implementation of a $1 million cryogenic condensation system for VOC emission reduction at a multi-product pharma facility in Singapore
- Led the signing and startup with our Mexican JV of a $500,000 liquid nitrogen cooling system for a superconducting power cable test system for Mexico's leading cable manufacturing.
- Generated 4 paid demonstrations and 2 signed accounts in the U.S.A., with annual revenue of $3.5 million by developing expertise in oxygen enrichment of cement kiln processes.
Development Engineer, Principal Polymers Industry, 1995 - 1999
- Saved $1 million per year by leading the technical aspects of outsourcing manufacturing.
- Led testing and approval of new technology for safe venting of combustible dust explosion.
Senior Project Engineer, Hydrogen Capital Projects, 1994 -1995
- Co-led a $25 million conversion of NH3 plant to H2 production in NOLA. On-time, budget.
- Led the project estimation of a $6 million H2 plant for edible oil hydrogenation in Malaysia.
Project Engineer, International Capital Projects, 1991 - 1994
- Led a $2 million H2 project with our Taiwanese JV for a PTA customer. On-time, budget.
- Led a $25 million ASU project with our Thai JV for a polymer customer. On time, budget.
Career Development Program, 1988 - 1990
- Project Engineer: Led design and start-up of a $25 million ASU project with Taiwanese JV.
- Sales: Developed PVC customer database which reduced contact time by 3 weeks.
Product Development: Correlated surface fluorination with permeation thru HDPE bottles.
Honors & Publications
Additional Development Skills
- Leading Teams, Effective Communication, Offering Development, Managing Innovation, Consultative Selling, and Doing Business in Asia and Latin America
- Spanish - conversational
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers: National, Philadelphia Chapter, DIERS
- Chemical Heritage Foundation, Philadelphia
- Chemical Consultants' Network, Philadelphia
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author of numerous publications for educational text, peer reviewed journals, domestic and international conferences.
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Lafayette College, Easton, PA