Agrochemical Expert for Formulation Development-Discovery : Herbicides, Insecticides and Fungicides
Technical Consultant #2287
- Agrochemical formulations development with herbicides, insecticides and fungicides.
- Strong background in water soluble polymer chemistry and colloids.
- Hands-on formulator with laboratory for preparative work.
- Intensive experience with development process.
- Physics of drop formation in spray drift control.
- Improved small scale evaluation of discovery compounds.
- Selection of surfactants, polymers, and colloidal material for formulations.
- Evaluate rheology, surface activity and performance of adjuvants for spray application.
- Broadcast, controlled release soil applications development
- Vinyl and acrylic emulsions for aqueous coatings and pressure-sensitive adhesives
- Spray drift control surfactants.
Discovery and Development
- Stable polymers for tertiary oil recovery: identified methodology for oxygen elimination.
- Bifunctional unsaturated isocyanate monomers (coatings).
- Broadcast, controlled release soil applications development.
- Melamine-based resins for industrial coatings and laminates.
Independent Consultant, 2009 - Present
- Assignments included advisory role in the development of formulations using a new technology applied to agricultural SC and DG formulations, staff training and laboratory work: products EPA registered
FMC Corporation, Senior Formulations technologist, 2005 - 2009
- Responsible for Group developing varied agricultural chemical formulations.
- Developed SC, EC CS and ME formulations for crop and specialty applications.
- Developed novel herbicide and insecticide formulations; SC, WDG, ME, CS, OD, and EW types.
- Worked closely with and developed improved processes and methodology for discovery compound evaluation.
- Formulated and patented combination products of microcapsules and suspensions CS SC types.
- Collaborated in development of novel technologies for nano-sized insecticide formulations.
- Developed specialty products for broadcast, controlled release soil applications.
BASF Corp, (American Cyanamid), Lawrenceville, NJ, Research Fellow, 1989 - 2009
- Responsible for Formulation development, improvement of discovery active ingredient evaluations, and improvement of application and efficacy.
- Developed first microencapsulated product for Cyanamid, from concept to manufacture.
- Served on the Spray Drift Control team. Wrote monograph on dynamic surface tension.
- Conceived, developed, registered and patented new formulations; LC, SC, EC, CS types.
- Developed and patented BASF's first microencapsulated product by interfacial polymerization.
- Progressed the products through manufacturing and marketing..
- Developed spray dried products; herbicidal and biological insecticide.
- Investigated the rheology, surface activity and performance of adjuvants for spray application.
- Presented and published novel work on physical chemistry of tank mix spray processes.
- Served on the Spray Drift Task Force; collaborated with scientists in reports/papers.
- Promoted from Principal Research Chemist to Research Fellow.
- Received Scientific Achievement Award.
American Cyanamid Company, Chemical Research Division, Stamford, CT , 1982 - 1988
- Developed bifunctional unsaturated isocyanate monomers for new coatings processes.
- Patented and published the properties and utility of coatings.
- Synthesized new polymers for wet-strength paper and paper sizing agents.
Cyanamid GB Ltd., Bradford, UK, 1971 - 1982
- Synthesis and development of polyelectrolyte flocculants and dispersants
- Studied the adsorption of charged polymers on mineral surfaces: selective flocculants.
- Discovered stable polymers for tertiary oil recovery: identified methodology for oxygen elimination.
British Oxygen Chemicals, Chester-le-Street, UK, 1967 - 1971
- Development of melamine-based resins for industrial coatings and laminates.
- Vinyl and acrylic emulsions for aqueous coatings and pressure-sensitive adhesives.
- Investigated various products developed from tall-oil resins.
Honors & Publications
- Thesis: "The Effects of Dissolved Solids on the Flocculation of Clays by Polyelectrolytes," and, "The Thermal Decomposition of Acetaldehyde and Ethane"
- Received Scientific Achievement - American Cyanamid
Publications and Patents
- Published 29 scientific papers
- Presented many papers at scientific meetings
- Spray Drift Control Committee member: Author of Dynamic Surface Tension Report.
- Published 26 patents and patent applications
- Ph.D. Applied Science, University of Newcastle, Tyne, United Kingdom
- M.S. Gas Kinetics, University of Durham, Durham, United Kingdom
- B.S. Chemistry, (With Honors) University of Durham, Durham, United Kingdom