- Data communications: (TCP/IP, SNA, Ethernet, Gateways, Routers, SIP, RSVP, VoIP)
- Wireless: (IEEE 802.11, WiFi, Bluetooth, Cell Phone(e.g. GSM, LTE, WiMax)
- xDS: (ADSL, ADSL 2 , VDSL, SDSL)
- Cable modems: (DOCSIS, IEEE 802.14)
- Home networking (including CableHome)
- Video: (H.323, DVB, CableTV, VSB)
- Hardware design (Systems, card, circuit, chip)
- Software (Android, Windows, embedded systems, database and communications protocols)
Expert Witness Experience
- Plaintiff asserting its claims that competitor was billing and wireless roaming technology, testified on behalf of the defendant.
- Contract dispute for specified equipment, testified on behalf of the defendant.
- Depositions: Provided deposition work for various iconic wireless and software companies.
Undisclosed Company, President, 1999 - Present
- Working with a variety of customers on creating new datacom products, helping investors evaluate opportunities, and patent protection for products.
- The product development has included, home networking (CableHome), Wireless (IEEE 802.11), Voice over IP (VoIP) transport products, and ADSL.
- Provide expert witness services relating to intellectual property.
- Assisted companies in identifying their valuable IP and finding ways to monetize it.
- Testified in federal court in matters relating to patent infringement and patent invalidity.
- Provide assistance to attorneys in understanding technology including construction claims, identifying companies that may be using specific technologies, expert reports, and provide technical seminars to aid in understanding the subtleties of various technologies.
- Company developed significant technologies that allow computers to understand technical documents and find related material very rapidly (e.g. searches 9 million documents in 4 seconds for any technology on file with the U.S. patent office).
Hayes Microcomputer Products, Norcross, GA, 1998 - 1999
Director of Research and Systems Engineering
- Responsible for defining future products, determining the key technologies required for the future and establishing relationships with other companies.
- This group was also responsible for determining standards participation, reviewing intellectual property issues and ensuring common, interoperable features across all product lines including ADSL, Remote Access servers, and Home LANs.
BellSouth Telecommunications, Atlanta, GA, 1996 - 1998
Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
- Assisted in developing the Passive Optical Network (PON) fiber delivery systems within FSAN (15 international telcos), a hybrid fiber-wireless system, and network computing.
- This involved understanding how the technologies are likely to evolve, new business opportunities enabled by the technologies and which ones will become cost effective for this environment.
Scientific-Atlanta Inc., Duluth, GA, Chief Architect -Data Communications, 1994 - 1996
- Lead System Architect for Data over CATV.
- Worked with customers to develop product and system requirements.
- Developed new data protocols, did performance analysis, scheduling, cost estimating, staffing, and the IEEE 802.14 standards.
- Awarded several U.S. patents for the data-over-cable architecture.
IBM, Boca Raton, Raleigh, FL and Charlotte, NC, Advisory Engineer, 1977 - 1994
Communications Architecture, 1990 - 1994
- Modified Fibre Channel Standard (ANSI X3T9.3) to allow multimedia packets using Q.2931.
- Modified MPEG-2 DSMCC protocol to allow more flexibility.
- Designed wireless protocols and worked with IEEE, created industry association, and lobbied FCC.
- Wrote LAN Access Agent for BBNS (ATM network).
Communication Concentrator, 1989 - 1990
- Hardware project lead of 2 Gb/s fast packet switch.
- Switch had SONET, T1, T3, HiPPI, RVX, LAN, FDDI, X.25 links.
- Received patents for design to multicast packets through network.
3471 / 3476 Terminal
- VLSI design of integrated micro, CRT ctlr, keyboard cntrl, 1.5 mb/s com link
- Programming to recognize brain waves for control of CRT cursor.
- Programming to recognize facial muscle movement for control of PC.
3472/Infowindow: (first IBM multimedia terminal)
- Design of PC card to attach to phone line, record and playback speech, speech recognition.
- Programming of speech recognition (parameter extraction, word boundary, template matching).
- Application programming.
- Project lead and programming of SNA type 2 terminal emulation.
- Communications programming of SDLC and BISYNC and application programming.
PBX Advanced Call Processing: (first IBM PBX)
- Software design of advanced call processing using Series/1 attached to PBX.
- Project lead and programming of custom operating system for PC attaching to PBX.
4975 Printer: (first IBM desktop printers)
- Card design of microprocessor based printer including power drivers for printhead and motors.
- Programming of motor control, printhead control and BISYNC communications using 8085.
- Design of new technique for determining printhead position using magnetic delays.
System/23: (first IBM desktop computer)
- Hardware design and programming of floppy disk subsystem.
- Standardization within IBM of diskette information formats.
- Concept and design of first IBM PC (68000 based).
Series/1: (first IBM minicomputer)
- Hardware design and programming of I/O card for hard disk drive.
- Hardware design and programming for magnetic bubble and CCD storage.
- Operating System programming.
Honors & Publications
- Communications Layers
- Introduction to Data Communications
- Making Useful Networks
- IP addressing
- Network Management:
- ATM (Asynchronous Transfer Mode)
- Connection Management.
- ATM Adaptation Layer (AAL
- Cable Modem
- The DOCSIS Protocol
- The DOCSIS Physical Layer
- Quality of Service (DOCSIS 1.1)
- Frame Relay
- Wireless Data Communications
- Network Computing
- Voice over IP (VoIP
- Voice Coding Alogrithms
- VoIP Problems
- Overview: ATM - Types of connections
Publications and Patents
- Author of 13 Major Publications in peer reviewed journals, bulletins conferences and handbooks.
- 62 Domestic and international patents issued and patent filings.
- M.S. Computer Engineering, Case-Western Reserve University, Cleveland, OH
- B.A. Physics, State University of New York, Plattsburgh, NY
- B.A. Chemistry, State University of New York, Plattsburgh, NY