Composites, Adhesives, and Coatings Development and Manufacturing Chemist Consultant
Technical Consultant #2241
- Polymer matrix formulation for composites (autoclave cured, VBO, RTM, VaRTM, FW, Press-cure).
- Thermoset chemistry (epoxy, phenolic, cyanate ester, benzoxazine, vinyl ester, polyester, polyurethane, polyimides).
- Chemical, thermal, mechanical and physical characterization.
- Product development and qualification process (project management, stage/gate, timeline, financing).
- Quality process (Root cause analysis, AS9100C manufacturing environment, SPC, DOE, Six Sigma)
- Markets - Aerospace, Automotive, Marine, Energy, and Infrastructure.
- Ceramic material composites.
- Thin film coating applications (roll coating, gravure, extrusion).
- Composite process (RTM, VARTM, pultrusion, filament winding, autoclave, VBO).
- Water based acrylic, polyurethane, epoxy and polyamide polymers.
- Solventless acrylic and polyurethane moisture cured technology.
- UV and radiation curing adhesives.
- New product introductions.
- AS9100 and 6 Sigma Practices.
- Polymer science.
- Composite technology.
- Export, TAR compliance and chemical regulation.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant, 2015 - Present
- Provide organizations expert support to achieve competitive advantage through product development,business development and manufacturing process.
- Technical Support of a major composite material supplier in the assessment of a setting up a prepreg manufacturing facility in the U.S.
- Quality Engineering consulting in the root cause analysis of composite process materials.
- Implement process changes and improve productivity.
- U.S. representative of a European processing equipment manufacturer.
Cytec Aerospace Materials, Huntington Beach CA., Sr. Technical Manager, 2011 - 2015
- Technically managed $110 million revenue business and supported commercial group on promoting fiber reinforced material in the interior aerospace market.
- Managed manufacturing process of ceramic composite materials and the growth to $50 million business.
- Improved EBITA by 25% by the integration of UMECO interiors product line into legacy CYTEC product line.
- Doubled production of Ox-Ox CMC materials and improving the scrap rate by 90%.
- Led disclosure of a non-conformance material and requalification with a major aerospace OEM.
Umeco Advanced Materials, Director of Materials and Process, 2011 - 2012
- Managed development of new products and supporting manufacturing plan to meet commercial goals.
- Included staff of 8 and revenue of $40 million. Managed the ERP system.
- Directed development of a new low cost reinforced material for the automotive market which resulted in $10 million of new business.
- Managed qualification and transfer of existing products to a new manufacturing facility.
- Led qualification of Silicon Carbide CMC material.
- Supported manufacturing in a non-conformance disclosure.
Park Advanced Composite Materials, Waterbury, CT, Director of Engineering, 2005 - 2011
- Led engineering department and testing group for supporting manufacturing and developing new fabric reinforced materials for structural composite market.
- Directed qualification of new VBO prepreg using NCAMP testing protocol; received FAA approval.
- Improved productivity by 30% by modifying production equipment.
- Managed team that developed new low temperature cure material for automotive market.
- Led qualification of ablative materials in several rocket applications.
Senior Engineer, 2006 - 2008
- Managed Research and Development and Analytical Lab for development and qualification of new fiber reinforced products.
- Guided development of a new VBO prepreg for primary structure and a halogen free phenolic prepreg for interior application.
- Coordinated with customers on qualification of new products and solved non-conformance issues.
Hellenic Center of Composite Materials, Athens, Greece, Technical Consultant, 2004 - 2005
- Developed construction adhesive, RTM system and structural reinforcement system for a Greek University, Greek company and U.S. company.
Huntsman Advance Materials, Brewster, NY, Technical Supervisor, 1997 - 2004
- Directed staff scientists and projects in technical support of the structural composite market.
- Interacted with manufacturing to resolve customer complaints and introduction of new products.
- Involved in identifying of new market areas.
- Performed qualification of multifunctional epoxy, DDS and BMI resins for aerospace market.
- Developed 250%u2109 curing toughen resin matrix prepreg systems and Filament winding, pultrusion and VaRTM systems for the industrial market.
- Managed RTM system based on Benzoxazine Chemistry for the aerospace market.
National Starch and Chemical Company, Bridgewater, NJ, Project Supervisor
Basf Company, Clifton, NJ, Chemist, Polymer Development
Honors & Publications
- AMA's "MBA' Workshop, American Management Association
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Chemical Society
- The Society for the Advancement of Material and Process Engineering
Publications and Patents
- Author of numerous articles in scientific journals.
- 2 U.S. patents
- M.S. Material Science and Engineering, State University of New York at Stony Brook, NY
- B.S. Chemistry, City University of New York at Queens College, Flushing, NY