- Fluoropolymer characterization.
- Inorganic particle characterization.
- Fluoropolymer synthesis.
- Organofluorine chemistry.
- Interpretation of results from: DSC, TGA, IR, NMR, GC-MS, SEM, TEM, dynamic light scattering (DLS), static light scattering (SLS), 3D x-ray microtomography, and stylus profilometry.
Undisclosed Company, 2000- Present
Senior Principal Investigator, 2014 - Present
Research Associate, 2007 - 2014
Senior Research Chemist, 2003 - 2007
- New products: research and development - partnered with business units to develop commercially viable new materials.
- Synthesis and applications of fluorinated superacids made from commercial fluoromonomers..
- Led a project from lab scale exploratory reactions to multiple kg scale-up and purification.
- Identified multiple applications for this new class of compounds including ionic liquids, superacid catalysts, and photoacid generators (PAGs).
- 1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethyl-N,N-dimethylamine (TFEDMA) - a fluorinating reagent made from tetrafluoroethylene.
- Led basic research into the mechanism of fluorination of this reagent and evaluated possible commercial applications of its use.
- Synthesis and applications of ionic liquids.
- Created, studied, and patented a variety of ionic liquids for wide ranging applications including CO2 capture, flame-retardant polymer additives and green solvents.
- Exploration of the fundamental chemistry of a new refrigerant: HFO-1234yf, CH2=CF(CF3).
- Studied the reactions of this olefin in a search for useful derivatives.
- Existing products: improvement - performed basic and applied research to improve existing commercial products.
- Aqueous emulsion polymerization of perfluoropolymers (i.e. Teflon®) using a wide variety of fluorinated surfactants.
- Developed new crosslinking chemistry for improved perfluoroelastomers (Kalrez®).
- Open innovation - materials tribology: ultra low wear and low friction polymer composites.
- Straddled the border between industrial and academic research, as well as the disciplines of chemistry, materials science and mechanical engineering.
- Created legal documents needed to foster the open sharing of information, created joint IP, advised legal in negotiating licensing, co-authored multiple high quality manuscripts correcting over a decade of erroneous interpretation while protecting the intellectual property of a possible future business.
- Recipient of a NSF Grant Opportunities for Academic Liaison with Industry (GOALI) grant with Lehigh University collaborator.
Division Chemist, 2000 - 2003
- Designed polymerization recipes for novel fluorinated and perfluorinated polymers.
- Provided technical support for production-plant manufacturing of Teflon Polymers.
- Evaluated polymers for use in new market applications.
- Initiated and coordinated bimonthly technical seminars to promote information transfer among researchers.
- Clearly communicated research results to coworkers and business team members via oral and written reports.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, Graduate Student, Chemistry Department, 1995 - 2000
- Synthesized, characterized and probed reactivity of novel highly-strained perfluorinated olefin.
- Successfully carried out organic and fluoro-organic synthetic transformations.
- Overcame difficult synthetic challenges presented by target molecule.
- Worked in cooperation with multi-ethnic research group.
- Trained 10-12 undergraduate students in basic laboratory research skills and safe laboratory practices.
- Actively engaged in recruitment for over 10 years at both Ph.D. and B.S. levels.
- Coached and mentored multiple early-career scientists, engineers and technicians.
- Guided intellectual property (IP) strategy.
- Enhanced leadership skills including leading without authority.
- Improved efficiency of division voting process and record keeping.
- Wrote biannual newsletters highlighting Division news and accomplishments.
Honors & Publications
- Tools: Chemdraw, Endnote, Mendeley, SciFinder Scholar, and Chemical Information Management System (CIMS) relational database.
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Past-Chair, Fluorine Chemistry Division, the American Chemical Society
- Chair, Fluorine Chemistry Division, the American Chemical Society
- Vice-Chair Membership, Fluorine Chemistry Division, the American Chemical Society
Publications and Patents
- Co-Authored 18 peer-reviewed publications for scientific journals.
- Inventor of over 45 patent applications and over 30 granted U.S. patents
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- B.S. Chemistry, (Summa Cum Laude), St. Norbert College, De Pere, WI