- Fluoropolymer characterization
- Fluoropolymer synthesis
- Organofluorine chemistry
- Inorganic particle characterization
- Interpretation of results from: DSC, TGA, IR, NMR, GPC, GC-MS, SEM, TEM, dynamic light scattering (DLS), static light scattering (SLS), 3D x-ray microtomography, stylus profilometry.
Expert Witness Experience
- Polyfluoroalkyl Substances (PFAS) subject matter expert.
Undisclosed University, 2017 - Present
Senior Research Fellow, Material Science and Engineering
- Investigate tribological and mechanochemical behavior of fluoropolymer composites.
- Mentor graduate and undergraduate students.
CJI, LLC, Wilmington, DE, Founder & CEO, 2016 – Present
- Scientific consulting, creative problem solving, sample analysis and interpretation of data.
- Fully-equipped synthesis and polymerization lab with access to state-of-the-art analytical instruments.
- New product development, product improvement, and basic research.
- Practice superior listening skills, oral and written communication that are valuable in a lab environment.
- Deploy strong management, training, and supervisory skills.
Science, Technology, and Research Institute of Delaware, Wilmington, DE, 2016 - 2021
- STRIDE is a non-profit 501(c)(3) organization specializing in innovation and applied R&D in biology, chemistry, polymers, materials, and related sciences.
- Deliver open innovation, R&D, education, and consulting services with extensive industrial experience in chemistry, biology, polymer/material sciences, and related disciplines.
Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA, Visiting Research Scientist, 2003 - 2016
DuPont Central Research and Development, Wilmington, DE
- Senior Principal Investigator, 2014 - 2016
- Research Associate, 2007 - 2014
- Senior Research Chemist, 2003 - 2007
New products: R & D – Partnered with business units to develop commercially viable new materials.
- Synthesis and applications of fluorinated superacids made from commercial fluoromonomers: Led a project from lab scale exploratory reactions to multiple kg scale-up and purification. Identified multiple applications for this new class of compounds including ionic liquids, superacid catalysts, and photoacid generators (PAGs).
- 1,1,2,2-tetrafluoroethyl-N,N-dimethylamine (TFEDMA) – a fluorinating reagent made from tetrafluoroethylene: Led basic research into the mechanism of fluorination of this reagent and evaluated possible commercial applications of its use.
- Synthesis and applications of ionic liquids: Created, studied, and patented a variety of ionic liquids for wide ranging applications including CO2 capture, flame-retardant polymer additives and green solvents.
- Exploration of the fundamental chemistry of a new refrigerant: HFO-1234yf, CH2=CF(CF3): Studied the reactions of this olefin in a search for useful derivatives.
Existing products: Improvement – Performed basic and applied research to improve existing commercial products.
- Aqueous emulsion polymerization of perfluoropolymers (i.e., Teflon®) using a wide variety of fluorinated surfactants.
- Developed new crosslinking chemistry for improved perfluoroelastomers (Kalrez®).
Open innovation - Materials tribology: ultralow wear / low friction polymer composites.
- Straddled the border between industrial and academic research, as well as the disciplines of chemistry, materials science and mechanical engineering.
- Created legal documents needed to foster the open sharing of information, created joint IP, advised legal in negotiating licensing, co-authored multiple high-quality manuscripts correcting over a decade of erroneous interpretation while protecting the intellectual property of a possible future business.
DuPont, Washington Works, Washington, WV, Division Chemist, 2000 - 2003
- Designed polymerization recipes for novel fluorinated and perfluorinated polymers.
- Provided technical support for production-plant manufacturing of Teflon polymers.
- Evaluated polymers for use in new market applications
- Initiated and coordinated bimonthly technical seminars to promote information transfer among researchers.
- Interpreted and communicated research results to staff and business team members via oral and written reports.
Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH, Graduate Student, Chemistry Department, 1995 - 2000
- Synthesized, characterized, and probed reactivity of novel highly-strained perfluorinated olefin.
- Successfully carried out organic and fluoro-organic synthetic transformations.
- Overcame difficult synthetic challenges presented by target molecule.
- Worked in cooperation with multi-ethnic research group.
- Trained 10-12 undergraduate students in basic laboratory research skills and safe laboratory practices.
Honors & Publications
- Tools: Chemdraw, Endnote, Mendeley, SciFinder Scholar, and Chemical Information Management System (CIMS) relational database.
- Thesis: Synthesis, Reactions, and Characterization, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
Academic and Professional Affiliations
Fluorine Chemistry Division, American Chemical Society-Chair & Vice Chair
- Actively engaged in recruitment for over 10 years at both Ph.D. and B.S. levels
Chair, Fluorine Chemistry Division, American Chemical Society
- Enhanced leadership skills including leading without authority
- Improved efficiency of Division voting process and record-keeping
- Wrote biannual newsletters highlighting Division news and accomplishments
- Recipient of a 2015 NSF Grant Opportunities for Academic Liaison with Industry (GOALI) grant with Lehigh University collaborator
- Coached and mentored multiple early-career scientists, engineers, and technicians
- Guided intellectual property (IP) strategy
Publications and Patents
- Co-Authored 18 peer-reviewed publications for scientific journals.
- Inventor of over 45 patent applications and over 30 granted U.S. patents
- Ph.D. Chemistry, Dartmouth College, Hanover, NH
- B.S. Chemistry, (Summa Cum Laude), St. Norbert College, De Pere, WI