Refinery Maintenance and Turnaround Consultant
Technical Consultant #2216
- Over thirty years of experience in refinery construction, maintenance, and turnaround.
- Project management, plant engineering, business
- Turnaround planning, management, and field execution.
- Served on Refinery Leadership Teams at three different refineries over fifteen years.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Project Manager, Present
- Providing Project Management Services to clients in the refinery industry that includes:
- Revenue enhancement
- On site cost reduction
- Equipment and systems reliability
- Risk assessments
- Readiness reviews
- Turnaround and maintenance management
Motiva Convent Refinery, Convert, LA, Turnaround Manager, 2006 - 2010
- Managed a department to oversee $5 million to $150 million turnarounds from scope development through field execution.
- Served as member of a corporate team responsible improving U.S. chemical plant and refinery turnaround performance
- Participated in assessments, readiness reviews, and schedule optimizations at all Shell and Motiva North American refineries.
- Developed site-specific safety plan for each turnaround.
Quality Systems and Processes Manager
- Implemented new work processes in cooperation with site leaders.
- Member of corporate team providing direction and priority for implementation of new work processes at U.S. sites.
- Led the Global Excellence Review Team at Convent site.
- Developed a prioritized list of opportunities to improve reliability, profitability, revenue enhancement, and cost reduction.
- Managed maintenance, procurement and contracts, turnaround, and project construction activities at the Convent, Star Enterprise-Motive and Delaware City Refineries sites.
- Implemented cost control structure for routine and turnaround maintenance, reducing cost while increasing plant reliability.
- Identifying craft efficiencies contract work force, manpower control and administrative overhead integration.
- Member of site leadership team at Delaware City that set overall strategy for managing site safety, operating and labor costs, capital improvement, reliability, and profitability.
Major Projects Manager - Motiva Convent and Norco Refineries
- Project Director for the low sulfur gasoline and ultra-low sulfur diesel projects totaling $100 million - plus.
- Chose and evaluated new vs. revamped units and provided cost estimates, schedule and funding details
- Led a department that evaluated feasibility of projects and negotiated contractual agreements with third party companies, including tail gas liquids recovery, H2 recovery, CO2 recovery, gasification, cogeneration and large scale ultra-low sulfur diesel unit.
Texaco - Star Enterprise Convent Refinery, Turnaround Manager, and Maintenance Supervisor
- Managed planning, budgeting, cost estimation, schedule, and execution of all shutdowns at site.
- Developed monthly maintenance report with 3 levels of details for site management, middle managers, and front line supervisors.
- Wrote, bid, evaluated, and awarded contracts for routine maintenance and turnarounds.
- Managed permitting, reporting, and testing for 100,000 BPD crude expansion project.
- Monitored and calculated all onsite air emissions.
- Acted as start-up engineer for sites new activated sludge wastewater.
- Responsible for monitoring and calculation of all air emissions at site.
- Worked with operations on training and test requirements in field.
- Worked with lab on all environmental testing requirements.
Texaco Lockport Refinery, Plant and Maintenance Engineer
- Handled small engineering projects throughout refinery, many of which were installed during unit shutdowns.
- Responsible for engineering, procurement, drafting, cost estimation and funding on each project.
- Managed tank repair program where duties included scope definition, contract development and award plus followed supervision of field execution for all tank repairs, modifications and new installations.
- Followed routine maintenance and small capital project work needs and weekly assigned over 250 company craft to various areas of plant basis overall backlog and operational priority.
- Responsible for planning and execution of small plant outages.
- B.S. Civil Engineering, Rose-Hulman Institute of Technology, Terre-Haute, IN