- Competitive edge and profitability in the specialty chemicals industry for adhesives, coatings bio based materials and wood composites.
Project management, identifying market opportunities, product development, intellectual property, regulatory compliance, continuous improvements, and commercialization.
- Present complex concepts to scientific and non-scientific audiences in easy to comprehend formats.
- Multi-cultural business experiences with travel across U.S., Canada, South Korea and The Peoples Republic of China.
Undisclosed Company, President, 2012 - Present
- Establish company, including systems and SOP's in order to successfully direct team to develop innovative, value added products.
- Prepare patents and manage intellectual property portfolio.
- Interface with customer executive and technical teams to define product/project goals, establish project plans and track accountability.
- Source raw materials and conduct scale up trials of manufacturing capabilities.
- Develop, acquire and manage grants to support research and development activities.
- Act as an independent consultant for government and industrial projects concerning adhesives and coatings, bio-based materials and wood composites.
- Maintain broad knowledge of scientific, patent and market literature.
Heartland Resource Technologies, Madison, WI, General Manager, 2011 - 2012
- Developed business research and development plan for solving technical deficiencies, identifying market opportunities and executing product launch.
- Developed manufacturing and distribution capabilities for new products.
- Identified, employed and managed independent manufacturers' representatives.
- Communicated and interpreted technical data with customers, colleagues and collaborators.
- Communicated quarterly updates to Board of Directors and investors.
- Managed financial and administrative duties.
- Managed program goals for Cooperative Research and Development Agreement (CRADA) with USDA Forest Products Laboratory.
Research and Development Manager - Wood Adhesives, 2005 - 2010
- Managed development of bio-based adhesive technology.
- Lab management including: hiring, managing, developing personnel, SOP's and general problem solving.
- Analyzed commercial process and develop suitable research and development methods for development and scale-up of technology.
- Communicated technical information to business/technical teams internally and to customers.
Ashland Inc., Madison, WI, Senior Applications Specialist - Wood Products, 2010 - 2011
- Worked directly with sales and research teams to identify and meet customer specific deliverables.
- Established and maintained relationships with customer technical and sales teams.
- Provided technical support in order to secure and defend business.
- Defined and managed trial goals, monitor operation of process, provided technical insight, report results and recommend path forward during commercialization efforts.
- Team leader for North American regulatory issues and certification bodies.
- Built and managed on-line Share Point site for Building Products team.
Tetrionics, Madison, WI, Assistant Scientist, 2004 - 2005
- Involved in all aspects of development, scale-up, process optimization and cGMP manufacture for active pharmaceutical ingredients.
Honors & Publications
Additional Course Work
- Wood Adhesive Problem Solving, WBC Short Course, Virginia Tech
- Developing Management Skills, UW Executive Education, UW-Madison
- Project Management-Planning, Scheduling and Control, UW Executive Education, UW-Madison
- Project Leadership Communication, UW Executive Education, UW-Madison
- Advanced Wood Adhesion, WBC Short Course, Virginia Tech
Publications and Patents
- Author and Co-Author (International) - Symposium, conferences, and peer reviewed journals.
- 4 patents
- M.S. Physical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.A. Chemistry, Willamette University. Salem, OR