- Equipment stress, Finite Element Analysis (FEA) and Fitness-For-Service Evaluations (FSE) for the petrochemical industry.
- Refinery equipment technical educational text author.
- Design, review, and failure analysis of process and power equipment, piping, and structures.
- Extensive analytical experience includes linear and non-linear finite element analysis using ANSYS and ABAQUS, buckling analyses, steady state and transient heat transfer and thermal stress analysis of pressure vessels and piping.
- Fitness-for-service evaluations, fatigue assessments, and flexibility.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor, Present
- Performed fitness-for-service evaluations for several coke drum cracks.
- Performed a design study optimization for a slotted skirt on coke drums.
- Performed an comparative study of a refractory brick internals structure.
- Performed a fitness-for service evaluation of a locally-thinned vacuum column.
- Performed a fitness-for-service assessment of a dented oil storage tank.
- Investigated the cause of flange leakage due to rapid temperature and pressure changes.
- Determined the cause of a crack in a heat exchanger tubesheet.
- Performed a combined computational fluid dynamics and finite element analysis to determine the suitability of several thermal mixing point designs.
- Performed many finite element analyses on ASME Section VIII, Division 2 vessel parts including skirt-to-shell region, hydrotreater quench nozzle, and nozzle loads.
- Co-developed and implemented the Omega Method for creep in ABAQUS.
- Evaluating several failures using this method.
- Evaluated pressure vessel internals for buckling failure.
- Designed an on-stream repair for the replacement of a coke drum skirt.
- Designed many different pressure vessels for severe fatigue service.
- Acted as Registered Professional Engineer for numerous ASME Section VIII, Division 2 Vessels UDS/MDR
- Flour Corporation
- Syncrude Canada Ltd.
- Wascana Energy Inc.
- Imperial Oil
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Engineer: Canada
- Alberta Permit to Practice and the Ontario Certificate of Authorization
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, (ASME), Pressure Vessels Piping Division - Current Design and Analysis Technical Committee
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers, (ASME), Codes and Standards, Subgroup on Design Analysis
- Extensively published at peer-review conferences and journals
- Authored 19 conference papers
- Published 3 journal articles
- Presented several tutorials at ASME Conferences
- M.Sc Aerospace Engineering, University of Minnesota, Saint Paul, MN
- B.Sc Mechanical Engineering, University of Saskatchewan, Saskatoon, Canada