- Petroleum and petrochemical technical refinery operations excellence in, oil spill, fire emergency response, and litigation.
- Over forty years of experience in all aspects of refining, including personnel selection and development, line operations (P/M/T) of global refineries.
- Operations safety, increase in capacity utilization, growth in profitable operations, and development and startup of new facilities.
- Successful in leadership or support of spills and Fire response.
- Recognized leader in business unit performance improvement.
Expert Witness Experience
- Experienced in litigation between companies and regulatory.
- Led successful litigation to recover replacement costs for six defective reactors.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Petroleum Engineer, Present
- Providing domestic and international petroleum refinery clients with technical consulting as to spills, fire, safety, and emergency responses.
Saudi Aramco/ExxonMobil (SAMREF), Yanbu, Saudi Arabia, 2012
- Served as Executive Vice President of Manufacturing for joint venture refinery.
- Aided in application of process safety principles to existing activities for JV.
- Guided interaction between refinery and 2B USD Clean Fuels project.
- Developed Business plan.
- Guided preparation for successful joint venture operations audit.
Technical Manager, 2005 - 2007
- Managed JV partner interactions on feedstocks and products.
- Developed and Managed Capital Budget.
- Board of Directors presentations on efficiencies, performance, future projects.
- Rollout of Operations Integrity Management System to SAMREF.
ExxonMobil Refining and Supply, Baton Rouge, LA, 2007 - 2012
- Coordinated preparation/response to OSHA National Emphasis Program for Americas Refining.
- Led/Co-led six incident investigations involving fatal injuries (USA/Asia).
- Guided Delayed Coker performance improvement activity to improved financial/safety outcome.
- Assisted US refineries in startup 2B USD on environmental control equipment to meet EPA consent decree.
- Startup assistance/ readiness assessments for Refining and Chemicals - worldwide.
- Multiple Process operations optimization visits to improve capacity, utilization, profitability.
- Coach/Mentor for Process Managers and Refinery Managers.
Operating Services Manager, Clean Fuels Startup, Cracking and Light Ends Department, 1985 - 2004
- Led multi-site $1B project from engineering through demonstration.
- Developed best practice tools for startup preparation and final startup signoff/collaboration during SU/demo.
- Restructured facilities to improve capacity and efficiency.
- Oversaw robust program of hiring and training and developed managerial candidates during critical growth period.
- Consolidated Tankage fleet to improve profitability, lower working capital.
- Upgraded of instrumentation and control from local to central control.
- Interim assignment Exxon Valdez Oil Spill Cleanup Coordinator- Kodiak, Alaska.
- Developed technician, supervisor, and leadership courses.
- Led response in offsite area to restore refinery operations following major fire.
Honors & Publications
- Trainer: Process Safety for ExxonMobil staff worldwide
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Refining representative for Exxon Global Engineering Practices consolidation
- Served as Americas Safe Operations Chairman during initial HAZOP era- OSHA 1910.119
- B.S. Chemical Engineering University of Kentucky, Lexington, KY