Refinery Rotating Equipment Engineering Consultant
Technical Consultant #2186
- Over Thirty years of domestic and international experience in rotating machinery selection, installation, startup, maintenance, problem solving, and vibration analysis.
- Machinery engineering, commissioning, startup and operation of a world-class ethylene plant and many smaller facilities.
- Established and supervised engineering groups at two plant sites involved in machinery reliability and condition monitoring/vibration analysis.
Expert Witness Experience
- Provides Expert Testimony in the mechanical and equipment refinery industry.
Undisclosed Company, Technical Advisor, Present
- Provide consulting services on the modification of two circulator compressors and the repair and overhaul of another identical compressor in the OEM vendor shop.
- Execute technical decisions on balancing, repairs, and evaluation of repair quality.
Technical Advisor, Olefins Plant - Ethylene Plant Expansion
- Participate in all phases of the project engineering.
- Participate in the field for installation and startup of 140,000 hp compressor and 18000 hp pump.
- When completed, this facility became the largest single ethylene production facility in the United States.
Technical Advisor, Vinyl Acetate, Acetic Acid Facility
- Provide engineering services to a vinyl acetate and acetic acid facility to upgrade the mechanical sealing system on two recycle gas screw compressors.
- Prepare specifications for an upgraded condition monitoring system for both plants.
Technical Advisor, Olefins Complex
- Evaluate the reliability engineering organization with the goal of upgrading the organization, engineering training, and reliability improvement programs.
Linde Gas, Technical Advisor, Syngas and Methanol Plant
- Provide consulting services on upgrades to the compressor and pumping systems for a carbon monoxide production facility.
- Provide consulting services to a redesigned center seal for two high speed carbon monoxide compressors after a failure.
Chevron Refinery, Technical Advisor, Praxair Hydrogen Plant Upgrade
- Serve as technical resource in the specification, procurement, testing, and installation of a large steam turbine-generator system.
Carmagen Engineering, Inc., Expert Witness
- Provide expert testimony in law suit over problems with a very large forced draft fan in a large Midwest ethanol production facility.
Technical Advisor, Saudi International Petrochemicals, Jubail, Saudi Arabia
- Participate in root cause failure analysis, and recommend bearing design changes, for a large steam turbine.
- Review machinery installations in grass roots carbon monoxide , vinyl acetate plant and an acetic acid plant.
- Assist in the solution of a liquid ring compressor problem.
CDI Services-Equistar Chemicals, Technical Advisor
- Review and revise reliability guidelines for polymer production machinery.
- Participate in a failure analysis and issue reliability improvement recommendations on hyper-compressors.
Flint Hills Resources (Koch Industries), Consultant
Ultra Low Sulfur Diesel Project
- Represent Flint Hills Resources during the installation of all machinery on the ULSD Project.
- Write all procedures for the installation of pumps and compressors.
- Act as liaison between plant and project personnel.
- Conduct training for crafts involved with these installations.
- Write and implement long term storage preparation procedures.
- Review and revise Flint Hills Resources machinery-related standards and procedures on procurement and installation.
- Review and revise commissioning and startup procedures for major reciprocal and centrifugal compressors and pumps.
- Act as general machinery engineering consultant to plant personnel on machinery reliability problems.
Honors & Publications
- Completed courses and seminars in the areas of machinery engineering, vibration analysis, and general mechanical engineering.
- Registered Professional Engineer, Texas
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, University of Texas, Austin, TX