- Platinum group and precious metals analysis, sampling, extraction, and hydrometallurgy.
- Electrochemistry, electrolytic dissolution and purification of precious metals and rhenium.
- Construction maintenance and management of analytical chemical laboratories.
- Process and product development, project management (MS Project) for complex electroplating, inorganic synthesis and hydrometallurgy.
- Electroplating of precious metals and base metals for electronic and decorative applications.
- Laboratory Information Management Systems (LIMS). Specification writing, debugging, deployment.
- White paper on novel compounds for inclusion on TSCA list.
- White paper on nickel tetraamine sulfate environmental vectors for federal EPA.
Undisclosed Company, Director of Metal Recover and Quality Manager, 2013 - Present
- Develop and manage precious metal and other high value materials recovery from end of life aerospace materials.
- Manage activities of production and laboratory staff.
- Develop novel schemes for the recovery of precious metals.
- Maintain quality system and MSDS database.
- Provide chief technical support to ongoing powder metals manufacturing.
Colonial Metals Incorporated, Elton, MD, Laboratory Manager, 2006 - 2013
- Manage daily activities of laboratory staff.
- Perform instrumental lab work on precious metals products.
- Provide analytical support for research and development process control projects.
- Develop and implement novel electro-dissolution processes for purification of platinum group metals and rhenium-containing alloys.
Technic Incorporated, Cranston, RI, Research Chemist, 2006
- Inorganic antioxidants for tin electroplating.
- Organic additives for electronic copper applications.
Cookson Electronics, Enthone Division, West Haven, CT, 2002 - 2005
Quality Control Laboratory Manager (a high performance specialty chemistry company).
- Analytical research and development, product development and quality control functions including:
- Design, develop and implement customized laboratory information.
- Management system (LIMS) deployed in five regional laboratories.
- Provided technical support for LIMS deployment globally.
- Developed proprietary electroplating products.
- Managed daily activities of approximately thirty analytical staff.
- Managed four laboratories within North America.
- Provided customer support to the metal finishing industry.
- Analytical methods development for proprietary chemicals.
Lucent Technologies, Bell Laboratories, Murray Hill, NJ, Manager-Analytical Services, 1987 - 2002
- Analytical support, product development and quality control for electroplating chemicals and services group
- Managed daily activities of three professional analytical staff members.
- Established analytical facility consisting of 5 distinct laboratories.
- Provided customer support for electroplating failure mode analysis.
- Generated PMN's (Pre-manufacture Notice) and MSDS (Material Safety Data Sheets) for proprietary chemicals.
- Maintained ELAP (Environmental Laboratory Accreditation Program) certification to support wastewater treatment plant.
- Established quality team focused on cost reduction and technology transfer.
- Developed and produced proprietary plating processes and products.
Olin Hunt Specialty Products, Palisades Park, NJ, 1985 - 1987
Project Leader, Analytical Services Department
- Performed competitive product analysis of industrial chemical products.
- Developed chemical analytical methods for plating bath components.
- Lead failure mode analysis projects.
Pall Corporation, Glen Cove, NY, Senior Research Chemist, 1982 - 1985
- Planned daily activities of two professional staff members.
- Developed filter media for cosmetic, toiletry and beverage products.
- Performed gel permeation chromatography of nylon-type polymers.
- Developed analytical methods for inorganic and organic chemicals.
International Flavors & Fragrances, Inc., Union Beach, NJ, Research Chemist, 1979 - 1982
- Managed a fragrance chemical stability program.
- Planned daily activities of two technicians.
- Developed GC and HPLC analytical procedures.
- Developed Fortran and Cobol based computational chemistry programs to model the structure-function relationships of fragrance chemicals.
Block Drug Company, Jersey City, NJ, Research Chemist, 1978 - 1979
- Planned daily activities of two technicians.
- Established a sensory testing program for flavor and odor evaluation.
- Supervised clinical trials of new dental products.
Noville Essential Oil Company, North Bergen, NJ, 1976 - 1978
Quality Control Manager and Production Chemist
- Developed analytical methods for industrial chemicals.
- Supervised a raw material and finished product QC laboratory.
- Produced flavor and fragrance organic compounds
- Electrochemistry: Platinum group metals product development in platinum group metals, including product development, customer service, analytical methods development, training, laboratory design and construction, environmental compliance and manufacturing technology implementation.
- Manage quality control laboratories supporting the manufacturing of metal finishing, performance coating, electronics and semiconductor chemicals.
- Analytical research and development in flavor and fragrance, pharmaceutical and specialty chemicals.
- ISO 9000 program implementation and internal and external auditing.
- Maintenance of chemical analytical equipment, including inductively-coupled plasma, atomic absorption and UV/Vis spectroscopy, liquid, gas and ion chromatography, nuclear magnetic resonance, infrared, Raman and mass spectroscopy.
- Isolation and identification of organic and inorganic compounds, including de-formulation of proprietary electroplating solutions.
- Packaging and presentation of technical information.
- Developed a computerized retrieval system for electroplating product formulation control and the systematic hierarchy of complex plating line.
- Apply product quality management information tools reducing manufacturing cycle times, costs and defect rate, streamlining of chemical manufacturing processes and technology transfer of new products.
- Developed systematic, standardized approaches to analytical method development, analytical documentation, and failure mode analysis.
- Developed novel methods for the electrochemical synthesis of chloride-free palladium replenishing solution for extending bath life, lower maintenance and higher profit margins.
Honors & Publications
- HASWOPPER training
- Six Sigma green belt certification
- Six Sigma Mentor and Subject Matter Expert
- Spanish and Latin (reading and writing)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Member, American Chemical Society (ACS)
- Member, International Precious Metals Institute (IPMI)
- Best paper awards; AESF Journal
- Three industry association awards in the field of palladium electroplating processes.
Publications and Patents
- Co-Authored eleven publications and eight patents describing novel processes involving palladium electroplating and its uses.
- M.S. Chemistry, Rutgers University, Newark, NJ.
- B.S. Biochemistry and Biology, University of Connecticut, Storrs, CT