- Refinery and petrochemical operations and engineering.
- Petrochemical and refinery energy conservation, process instrumentation and control systems, process safety, work systems redesign, and process reliability.
Undisclosed Company, Present
Process and Instrument Engineer
- Managed engineering design, procurement, and commissioning of digital instrumentation systems for very sour (highly toxic) heavy oil service at Sunoco Tulsa and Puerto Rico refineries.
- Managed daily operations of 85,000 bbl/day refinery, including FCCU, C4 Isomerization, Catalytic Reforming, HF Alkylation, Delayed Coking, Lube Oil De-waxing, Hydro-treating and Production, and Transfer and Shipping.
Energy Conservation and Process Safety
- Implemented and coordinated (including standardized reporting) of energy conservation efforts and introduction of OSHA 1910.119 Process Safety Management (PSM) standards for all Sunoco, Inc. refineries.
- Participated in fieldwork to develop information for process design packages.
- Mentoring Tech Service engineers at a Texas refinery.
- Working off a backlog of revamp projects.
- In the field time, developing information required for process design packages.
- Participated in fieldwork for an East coast pipeline company that included pressure measurements and hydraulic modeling of dockside unloading piping network.
- For a Houston petrochemical facility to (1) trouble-shoot and certify gas turbine safety shutdown instrumentation and (2) provide a temporary fix for an existing (outdated) burner management system while specifying a new replacement PLC system.
- Identifying ways to speed up crude unloading to reduce demurrage fees.
- Working closely with the refinery on all aspects of oil transfers.
- Improved instrumentation to curtail vapor releases from batch distillation units due to over-pressuring
- Four month assignment at a Houston petrochemical facility.
- Troubleshooting and certifying gas turbine safety shutdown instrumentation.
- Providing a temporary fix for an existing (outdated) burner management system while selecting a new PLC system.
- Helped an East coast pipeline company complete a boiler replacement project to meet more stringent flue stack emissions standards and lower NOx (Instrumentation engineer).
- Trainer-mentor of new engineers at a major Caribbean refinery during a five-month full time assignment supporting a Technical Service Job.
Honors & Publications
- Certified Professional Engineer-California and Pennsylvania
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Lehigh University, Bethlehem, PA
- M.S. Chemical Engineering, Case Western Reserve University, Cleveland OH