- Over thirty years experience in metallurgy, materials, corrosion, fabrication, and welding chemical process industries.
- Failure analysis, materials selection, design of equipment to minimize corrosion, troubleshooting and process modifications to minimize corrosion.
- Fabrication and welding of exotic equipment.
Undisclosed Company, Associate Director, 2005 - present
- Management of corrosion research and projects on various subjects selected by the Technical Advisory Committee for development.
Senior Engineering Advisor, 2003 - Present
- Provided consulting services for corrosion, metallurgical problems and failure analysis projects on metals, plastic and ceramics for chemical companies.
- Reviewed design and shop/construction inspection for reactors, heat exchangers, storage tanks, and piping for major capital projects and maintenance.
- Developed and taught courses on corrosion, covering the Chemical Process Industries and Metallurgical Engineering.
- Performed metallurgical, corrosion and failure analysis on HCN Reactors, phosgene, chlorine, MIC generation and reaction equipment, microbiologically induced corrosion in seawater and freshwater cooling systems, equipment failures, and ammonium carbamate corrosion.
Industry Marketing Manager, Special Metals, 2001 - 2003
- Managed worldwide marketing of nickel alloys to the chemical and petrochemical industries.
- Resolved technical manufacturing and fabrication problem.
- Identified and developed advanced cracking tubing technology for the production of ethylene using MA956 mechanical alloy.
- Conducted marketing studies leading to the development of new synthesis gas resistant alloy.
Union Carbide, Principal Engineer and Corporate Technology Steward, 1970 - 2001
- Served as lead Corrosion and Materials Engineer for every major Union Carbide project for ten years.
- Selecting materials to support an annual capital budget of $75 million.
Research /Development, and Operations
- Consulting with business teams.
- Conducting laboratory corrosion testing to support new capital projects, troubleshooting operating plants to resolve corrosion problems by process control and modification.
- Instrumental in the solution of corrosion problems in Sevin Insecticide, Methylisocyanate, Larvin, Amiben, Ucon refrigerants, Alkyl Benzene and Toluenediisocyanate production plants.
- Performed numerous metallurgical failure analyses on production equipment to identify the mechanism of equipment failure and to select the appropriate materials of construction or process changes needed to prevent future failures.
- Led Mechanical Surveys group that determined areas of non-compliance and recommended upgrades to increase plant on-stream time or profitability.
- Led troubleshooting efforts for: A cooling tower and cooling water systems including both open and closed seawater cooling systems, providing operational control necessary to prevent MIC and pitting. And a direct quench open glycol evaporation train cooling tower systems, allowing for control of biological fouling and corrosion.
- Developed hydrogen peroxide-boosted citric acid cleaning process to remove copper and iron fouling from Hi-Flux copper-nickel alloy tubes avoiding the need for shut down and replacement of the heat exchangers.
- Led a team that developed a unique process modification to produce the highest quality ethylene glycol.
- Identifying improper operation of Ethylene Oxide Recovery Column based upon corrosion mechanism of downstream equipment.
- Developing the required operation changes.
- Preventing a plant shut-down and new equipment purchases.
- Identified poorly manufactured type 2205 stainless steel that resulted in a new ASTM Industry Standard.
- Significantly reducing test requirements for successful fabrications.
Honors & Publications
- Licensed Professional Corrosion Engineer in California
Academic and Professional Affiliation
- NACE International (National Association of Corrosion Engineers) - The Corrosion Society, STG36 and STG39
- Distinguished Service Award
- NACE (Positions Served) Research Committee Chairman , N E Region Chairman and Director
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers
- Author of several published papers on corrosion
- B.S. Metallurgical Engineering, University of Florida, Gainesville, FL