- Recognized expert and authority in cooling systems and chemical treatment of cooling water.
- Service of key performance indicators, system optimization, chemical and mechanical equipment cleaning.
- Cooling systems economics; cost evaluations for decisions concerning repair and replacement.
- Selection of system components including piping, pumps and cooling towers.
- Monitoring and troubleshooting, feed and control, and performance assessment.
- Developed state of the art cooling systems and acted as internal consultant for more than 80 sites in North America. This template was used as a prototype model for hundreds of sites around the world. Lowered cooling treatment costs and simultaneously extended life and reliability of cooling system equipment.
- Design, selection, inspection and evaluation of cooling towers. Repair of cooling towers including coating applications.
- Orchestrating more than two dozen projects involving coldboxes and cryogenic brazed aluminum heat exchangers including, RHE replacements ,BAHE repairs, and perlite removal and replacement.
- Selecting, repairing and evaluating shell and tube heat exchangers including retrofit and design optimization, vendor selection and bid evaluation.
- Ensuring best business practices in vendor evaluation and selections, providing recommendations and expectations.
Expert Witness Experience
- Expert Witness: Litigation support related to design flaw in largest nitrogen generator plant in the world. Presented root cause and failure analysis.
Undisclosed Company, 1985 - 2015
Manager, Cooling Systems, 2008 - 2015
- Cooperated with water treatment chemical suppliers to ensure key performance indicators (KPI) are achieved.
- Readjusted and improved cooling systems ensured cutting edge technical support to manufacturing plant personnel and water treatment service representatives.
- Trained employees globally, from interns to senior management, via live webinar. Developed, facilitated and updated curriculum.
- Ensured ongoing record of annual $1 million cost saving by establishing productivity improvement projects and succeeded in increasing equipment life and reliability resulting including heat exchanger retrofits, cooling tower refurbishments and upgrades as well chemical cost reduction.
Manager, Process Engineering, 1997 - 2008
- Managed team of four project and process engineers for plant retrofits and improvements.
- Successfully increased total plan capacity by 5% at investment cost less than 25% of that required for new plant construction.
- Conducted energy surveys and efficiency reviews to identify bottlenecks and opportunities for production increases.
- Managed repairs on piping, pressure vessels, coldboxes and natural gas fired heaters.
Manager of Utilities, 1986 - 1987
- Administered cooling water treatment programs, cooling tower repairs and heat exchanger replacements.
- Conducted cooling water system training.
Hercules, Cooling and Boiler Water Systems, Inc., Wilmington, DE, 1979 - 1985
- Technical Specialist
Pennwalt and Anscott, Valley Forge, PA, 1978 - 1979
- Chief Chemist
ICI, Wilmington, DE, 1976 - 1978
- Formulation Chemist
- Initiating, developing and presenting engineering training internationally. Curriculum adapted to 1 to 5 day lengths in live and webinar formats throughout North America.
- Engineering Orientation and Training, a process engineering training seminar incorporating field experiences presented to full cross section of staff.
- Cooling water systems training course presented globally via webinar addressing technology of cooling water treatment, program management, cooling towers and heat exchangers.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers, Cooling Technology Institute, American Chemical Society, Compressed Gas Association
- Chair, Atmospheric Gases Committee, National Association of Corrosion Engineers
- American Institute of Chemical Engineers (AICHE)
- 12th Intersociety Cryogenic Symposium, Atlanta, GA
- The Early History of the Liquefaction of Gases
- Compressed Gas Association (CGA)
- National Association of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
International Author and Co-Author of Publications, Conferences and Seminars - Topics:
- Cooling Technology Institute (CTI) White Papers
- Managing Reliability in Industrial Cooling Systems
- Empirical Methods for Inspecting, Analyzing and Converting Large Field Erected Wood Cooling Towers to Fiberglass Structure
- Expedited Field Erected Cooling Tower-Replacement/Upgrade with Limited Site Access
- Crossflow to Counter Flow Cooling Tower Conversion
- A More Neatly Exact Representation of Cooling Tower Theory
- Authored short presentations for annual Atmospheric Gases Safety and Reliability Seminars
- Topics: Fire in a Natural Gas Regeneration Heater, Frostbite Incidents in Cold Boxes, Cryogenic Piping and Heat Exchanger Repairs in Cold Boxes
- Ozonation in a CO2 Plant Cooling System
- Corrosion Inhibitor Performance in Scale Model Cooling Water System Simulator
- 49th International Water Conference
- Control of Copper Alloy Corrosion in the Air Separation Industry, Corrosion
- Fouling and Corrosion in Open, Recirculating Cooling Water Systems: The Expert System Approach, Corrosion
- Avoiding Fouling and Corrosion in Water Cooled Heat Exchangers The Expert System presented at the NATO Advanced Study Institute, Algarve, Portugal
- Mechanistic Considerations of Azole and Reacted Phosphate Corrosion Inhibitors on Mild Steel Metallurgy, Corrosion
- Polymeric Chelating Agents as Corrosion Inhibitors for Open Recirculation Cooling Water Systems,43rd International Water Conference
- M.S. Physical Chemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI
- B.S. Chemistry, University of Delaware, Newark, DE