- Over forty years of experience in mechanical engineering, specializing reactor and pressure vessel design in the petroleum industry.
- ASME Codes and Standards subject matter expert.
- Specialty valve design and selection research and development.
- Piping flexibility and vibration (CAESAR II, PENGS), finite element stress analysis (SUPERSAP).
- ANSI/API Standard 510 for In-Service inspection of petroleum and chemical plant pressure vessels and heat exchangers.
Undisclosed Company, Consulting Engineer, Present
- Retained as technical consultant and Industry code committee representative by ExxonMobil Research and Engineering Co. and the Pressure Vessel Manufacturers Association.
- Lead investigator and project manager on the Materials Properties Council joint industry "Coke Drum Life Assessment" projects.
- Carried out specialty valve design and selection research and development studies for ExxonMobil.
Engineering Advisor, (Exxon Research and Engineering, Florham Park, NJ)
- Managed processes related to special high-pressure reactor designs, high-pressure valves, and large diameter storage tanks.
- Developed special criteria for high pressure flange and moment loading criteria considering sustained, flexibility, and pressure loadings.
- Developed basis and expedited acceptance of the ASME code case for enhanced 2 1/4 Cr steels.
- Provided consulting services to special studies for very large reactor designs.
- Developed design and material requirements for subsea ball valves on North Sea pipelines.
ESSO Engineering Europe Ltd., New Malden, U.K., Senior Mechanical Consultant
- Participated in design of the Fawley refinery project.
- Special aspects of this project included very heavy wall high-pressure vessels, exchangers and valves (ANSI Class 2500), enhanced property low chrome steels, and solid stainless piping.
- Provided mechanical consulting for all of ESSO's European refineries.
- Developed specification and design requirements for ball valves in delayed Coker and subsea services.
- Acted as Senior Engineering Associate on Codes and Standards, while starting up a Gulf Coast office.
- Field activities included resolution of reciprocating compressor piping vibration problems, evaluation of service related cracking problems in pressure equipment, special evaluations on delayed coking unit piping and valves.
- Computer calculations involved piping flexibility and vibration (CAESAR II, PENGS), finite element stress analysis (SUPERSAP), and fracture mechanics.
Senior Engineering Associate
- Consulted on special mechanical problems in the areas of piping, pressure vessels, fluid solids units, and tankage.
- Special service applications included high and low temperatures, hydrogen rich processes, cyclic temperatures, Cat erosion and refractory linings, and components of synthetic fuels plants.
- Established a position as a primary company representative on code and standard writing activities.
- Acted as resident senior mechanical engineer on a major refinery expansion, including design specification and contractor follow-up on pressure vessel, piping, and tankage systems.
- Carried out design and inspection surveys of worldwide manufacturers of equipment for project, resulting in Exxon's first application of ASME VIII, Div 2 vessels for heavy wall (7 in. Thk.-2 1/4 Cr reactors), and very large pressure vessel applications.
- Introduced and implemented the use of forged/fabricated valves in place of cast valves to resolve service fatigue problems.
- Designed and tested a 100 mile cross country gas and liquid petroleum pipeline and slug catcher type separator.
Honors & Publications
- Registered Professional Engineer; New York and New Jersey
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Life Fellow of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- Chairman, ASME Boiler & Pressure Vessel Code Committee
- Vice President and Chairman, ASME Board on Pressure Technology Codes and Standards
- Served as member of the ASME Boiler and Pressure Vessel Main Committee, Subcommittee VIII, T/G on Material Toughness and Chairman of the SWG on Heat Transfer Equipment
- Served as Chairman of the API Subcommittee on Piping, Pressure Vessels and Tankage
- American Welding Society - Member
- American Petroleum Institute Member
- Received the J. Hall Taylor Medal for outstanding contributions in the development of ASME codes and standards.
- BSME Mechanical Engineering, Pratt Institute, Brooklyn, NY
- MSME Mechanical Engineering, Rensselaer Polytechnic Institute, Troy, NY