- Over thirty-five years in process facility mechanical design and construction for the chemical industry.
- Work process redesign and implementation.
- Piping expert: Fabricated equipment design and specification, thermal fluid heat transfer system design, specification and standard writing, and work process redesign and implementation.
- Piping flexibility analysis, piping standards, and design tools development.
- Owner oversight of contractor front-end and detailed engineering.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor, 2003 - Present
Solutia, Inc., (formerly Monsanto Company), 1968 - 2003
Engineering Technologist and Manufacturing Technologist Engineering Fellow
- Specialized in piping design and flexibility analysis, developed design tools and conducted workshops while serving as lead mechanical engineer on several projects.
- Developed a complete set of piping standards for Solutia yielding improved engineering efficiency and safer facilities.
- Successfully led mechanical, piping, and civil structural design effort for a new $300 million bulk chemical manufacturing facility.
- Managed mechanical, piping, and civil structural design effort for a $50 million debottlenecking nylon plastic manufacturing facility project.
- Chaired a team that defined requirements for and implemented a new front-end engineering work process that reduced project cost and schedule deviations by 50%.
Principal Engineer, 1977 - 1985
- Specialized in piping design and flexibility analysis in support of new facility design projects.
- Developed a complete set of piping standards for Monsanto, yielding improved engineering efficiency and safer facilities.
- Created materials for and conducted several general piping and piping flexibility analysis workshops enabling safe and economical piping systems designs.
- Designed piping systems for nylon and polyester fiber manufacturing facilities.
Senior Engineer, 1968 - 1977
- Design and specification of mechanical equipment, piping, coatings, and insulation for new facilities.
- Developed design methods and standards for tubular heat exchangers, pneumatic conveying systems, liquid and vapor phase heat transfer systems and piping flexibility analysis.
Honors & Publications
- Registered Professional Engineer - Missouri
Academic and Professional Affiliations
American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME) Activities:
- B16 Standardization of Valves, Flanges, Fittings, and Gaskets Standards Committee Member
- B31 Code for Pressure Piping Standards Committee Member and Past Chair
- B31.12 Hydrogen Piping and Pipelines Section Committee Member
- B31.3 Process Piping Section Committee Member and Past Chair
- B31.3 Task Group on Edit (TG-C) Member
- B31.3 Task Group on Inquiry Review (TG-IR) Member
- Board on New Development Chair
- Board on Pressure Technology Codes and Standards Past Member
- BPV Project Team on Hydrogen Tanks Contributing Member
- Council on Standards and Certification Member and Past Chair
- Board of Governors Past Member
- US TAG for ISO/TC 153/SC 1 - Design, Manufacturing, Marking and Testing Member
- US TAG for ISO/TC 5/SC 10 - Metallic Flanges and Their Joints Member
- US TAG for ISO/TC 197 - Hydrogen Technologies Member
- American Petroleum Institute, Refinery Department, Committee on Refinery Equipment,Subcommittee on Piping
- Materials Technology Institute, member of two groups involved with evaluation of gaskets
- ISA - The International Society for Measurement and Control, SP 93, Sealing Technologies Committee, Member
- Led the 3500 member Codes and Standards organization for three year term.
- Led design and implementation of new standards development process that reduced approval cycle time by 20%.
- Initiated an effort to develop a standard leak test for valves.
- Invented a scheme to clarify scopes of and resolve technical differences between various piping codes.
- Led an effort to define and develop standards that support infrastructure for hydrogen-fueled vehicles and other hydrogen uses.
- ASME Dedicated Service Award
- ASME Codes and Standards Medal
Publications and Patents
- Co-Authored articles for chemical industry.
- Holds one U.S. patent.
- M.S.C.E. Civil Engineering, University of Missouri, Roll, MS
- B.S.C.E. Mechanical Engineering, Kansas State University, Manhattan KS