- Civil engineering and marine structures with more than thirty-four years experience in the petroleum and chemical industry.
- Blast resistant design; design criteria for earthquake, wind and other extreme loads; evaluation and upgrading of existing structures, machinery support and foundations, concrete chimneys and steel stacks; and structural vibration.
Undisclosed Company, Present
- Supervise the structural design of various residential, commercial, and industrial buildings.
- Evaluate and design structural systems for several residential conservatories (wood, aluminum, steel-framed, and glass-clad buildings).
- Design blast-resistant addition to central control building for Tosco Refining Company.
- Provide front-end civil engineering support on major capital projects.
- Prepare technical specifications (soils, foundations, and structures) for projects.
- Provide technical audit (NPQC) of detailed engineering by EPC contractors on more than 30 major projects worldwide.
- Perform field engineer services during construction on major projects.
Research, Development, and Toolmaking
- Coordinated and managed civil technology research and development program and chair network.
- Developed and maintained civil and structural engineering practices and technology tools. Established design criteria for extreme environmental (wind and earthquake), accidental (explosion) loads and developed design procedures.
- Participated in petrochemical industry vapor cloud explosions and blast protection research and development.
Technology Applications and Troubleshooting
- Designed coke drum foundation repairs and coke drum lift frames to the level coke drums.
- Evaluated blast resistance and recommended upgrades to existing plant buildings.
- Determined current wind and earthquake loads and assessed risk to existing facilities.
- Inspected, structurally appraised, and recommended repairs to vessel supports, inground concrete basins, steel stacks, and concrete chimneys.
- Assessed and mitigated wind- and process-induced vibration problems on structures and machinery foundations.
- Inspected foundations, evaluated settlement and recommended corrective measures.
- Ph.D. Structures, Theoretical - Applied Mechanics, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- Ph.D. Geotechnical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- M.S. Structures, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL
- B.S.C.E. Chemical Engineering, University of Illinois, Urbana, IL