- More than twenty-three years of professional experience in the analysis, design, and evaluation of structures, systems, and components.
- Linear and nonlinear structural analysis, seismic analysis, soil-structure interaction, fluid-structure interaction, and impact analyses.
- Expert reviewer for projects in the DOE complex, nuclear utilities, and commercial industry that include seismic evaluation of structures; soil-structure and fluid-structure interaction; nonlinear stability and stress analysis of structures, systems, and components; impact evaluations; and fatigue evaluations.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor II
Member of Independent Expert Review Team
- Participated as a Subject Matter Expert on a five person to review black cell process vessel design and analysis reports for the Hanford Waste Treatment Plant.
- Providing recommendations for resolution of design issues such as over-conservatisms or non-conservatisms found in the reports.
- Acted as a team member performing expert review of the DTE Energy Seismic Probabilistic Risk Assessment (SPRA) for the Fermi II reactor in response to the NRC 50.54(f) letter.
- Performed Owner's review of DTE submittal to NRC in support of seismic walkdowns per NTTF. Recommendation 2.3 as required by NRC 50.54(f) letter.
- Performed nonlinear dynamic response history evaluation of free standing spent nuclear fuel casks under seismic loading to determine the dynamic behavior of the casks, the peak floor loading in the plant, and the margin of safety for floor loading.
U.S. Nuclear Regulatory Commission (NRC)
- Reviewer: Seismic Design of Comanche Peak Nuclear Power Plant, Units 3 and 4.
- Performed review of the seismic portions of the Combined License (COL) Application for the United States Advanced Pressurized Water Reactor (US-APWR) designed for the Comanche Peak, Texas site
NRC Reviewer for the Seismic Design Certification of the US-APWR Standard Plant Design
- Performed license application review of the seismic design certification for the United States Advanced Pressurized Water Reactor (US-APWR) Standard Plant Design.
- Hanford Single-Shell Tank and Double-Shell Seismic Analysis of Record
- Project Manager and structural lead for the seismic analysis of record of the Hanford Single-Shell and Double-Shell tanks.
- Provided up-to-date documentation of the structural integrity of the tanks and a defensible basis for operating specifications for continued use of the tanks.
Fluor Daniel Northwest, Inc., ICF Kaiser Hanford Co., Westinghouse Hanford Co., Senior Engineer
- Cognizant Engineer for the Double-Shell Tank Useful Life Analysis report that addressed life-limiting conditions associated with Double-Shell tanks at the Hanford Site and the potential impacts on the Hanford mission.
- Using ASME Section III, Division 1 and Section VIII, Division 2 criteria.
- Lead author of Structural Analysis of Hanford Underground Waste-Storage Tanks Under Loads Imposed by the Cone Penetrometer Waste Characterization Device.
Honors & Publications
- Professional Engineer-Registered State of Washington
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Civil Engineers Working Groups responsible for the revision of the National Standards ASCE 4, and ASCE 43 entitled Seismic Analysis of Safety-Related Nuclear Structures and Commentary and Seismic Design Criteria for Structures, Systems, and Components in Nuclear Facilities.
- Member of the ASCE 43 Task Committees on Special Considerations including Sliding and Rocking of Unanchored Rigid Bodies, Equipment and Distributions Systems, and Seismically Isolated Structures.
- Published technical author who has presented at ASME and ASCE conferences.
- Ph.D. Theoretical and Applied Mechanics, Universtiy of Illinois, Urbana-Champaign, IL
- M.S. Engineering Mechanics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, IL
- B.S. Engineering Mechanics, Michigan State University, East Lansing, IL