- Electrical engineering LV-MV, Low and Medium Voltage, in the petrochemical and fertilizer industries.
- Industrial instrumentation engineering servicing petrochemical and fertilizer markets.
- Process automation and control systems.
- Project management: Coal mining, NH3 and petrochemical.
- Engineering and detail design for petrochemicals.
- DCS systems design, upgrade, configuration and implementation.
- ESD system design, configuration and Implementation.
- ASC design and configuration and Implementation.
- Operational strategy.
- Substation automation.
- Development of design criteria; electrical, instrumentation and control systems.
- HAZOP review.
- SIL, (Safety Integrity Level) review.
- Design review of PI&D's, DC, DS and others.
- Writing of control narratives.
- Development of cause and effect diagrams.
Expert Witness Experience
- Forensic engineering in industrial instrumentation: Evaluate poor design in a fertilizer project.
- Forensic expertise in electrical engineering design, (LV/MV).
- Forensic expertise in control system and process automation.
Undisclosed Company, Consultant and Project Director, 2015
- Project setup: Project management plan, project execution plan, construction execution, RASCI matrix, WBS, EWP and CWP prelim drafts completed.
- BEP completed.
Kentz, Worley Parsons & Hatch Africa, Woodmead, South Africa, 2008 - 2013
Manager of Engineering; Project Manager
Core accountability and execution - PEM, Worley Parsons.
- Coordinated all contracts with the clients and maintained an available working relationship at all levels throughout the period of the project.
- Demonstrated an overriding commitment to health and safety, environmental responsibility.
- Assumed responsibility for the performance of all tasks needed for the successful completion of the project and as leader of the project team, plans, organizes, directs, manages staffs, controls, motivates and stimulates the team to work as an integral / cohesive unit ; Defined project scope and objectives.
- Established the basic work plans for engineering, procurement, project control, construction planning, commissioning, and quality assurance in line with the client and others outside.
- Represented Hatch in project execution and maintained official communication with the client and others outside of Hatch.
- Conducted periodical meetings with the client to review progress, discuss major changes in the work and resolve problems raised between the client and Hatch, this included composing of the Steer com meeting and agenda that was drafted.
Core accountability and execution - PM, Kentz, Hatch & RSV
- Responsible for the day to day management and performance of the engineering department (multi discipline).
- Management and development of all engineering staff (project related).
- Recruitment of engineering personnel in conjunction with HOD of respective engineering departments.
- Management of the coordination between ED and other various departments and disciplines within the ED to ensure compliance with the project scope of work.
- HSE and QA requirements: Responsible for project management of engineering work (basic engineering, detail design and implementation).
- Acted as the main interface with the client for all engineering and technical related activities.
- Responsible for the finalization of the engineering document deliverables register and schedule to ensure a timely issue of all deliverables in line with the project schedule.
- Reviewed and approved all engineering deliverables.
- Participated in driving all engineering meetings within WP team and that of the subcontractors.
Flour KSA, Fwel, U.K., GLTA (RSA), Middle East and South Africa, 2004 - 2007
- Engineering Manager, Principal Project Engineer and Lead EICS Engineer.
Honors & Publications
- Certified: International Project Manager: CIPM
- Certified: Master Project Manager
- Diploma in Project Management Executive Education College - NQF5, UK
- Diploma in Computer Engineering (systems and hardware, ICS-USA
- Other qualifications; (5 year) equivalence - CEI Part 1 & 2
- English (fluent, conversation and writing)
- Afrikaans (similar to Dutch) (fluent , conversation and writing)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Fellow: Institute of Measurement and Control (U.K.)
- Fellow: Institute of Engineering and Technology (IEE-U.K.)
- Senior Member : IEEE : Institute of Electronic and Electrical Engineers (USA)
- Senior Member : ISA : International Society of Automation (USA)
- Chartered Engineer: C Eng (ECUK), United Kingdom
- European Engineer: Eur Ing (FEANI), Europe
- International Professional Engineer: IntPE (U.K.), (ECUK)
- B.S.E.E. Electrical - Control Systems, Technical College Maitland, Australia