- Nuclear power plant structures: Design, analysis, construction, and testing of, equipment, piping, vessels, and supports with 40 years of experience.
- Design Authority for Columbia Generating Station civil and structures, providing discipline approval for plant design changes and ensured plant design basis compliance.
- ASME code and standards development for the design of pressure vessels, piping, and support structures, holding a variety of leadership roles.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor and Office Manager, 2011 - Present
- Provide engineering consulting services for the nuclear power industry and support development of ASME codes and standards.
- Conducted classes through ASME professional development services:
- ASME Section III Design of Components, Pressure Vessel.
- Piping Fitness for service assessment.
- Design of ASME Class 1, 2, and 3 Piping.
- Provided assistance in NRC and ACRS reviews, audits, and hearings.
- Developed design guides for various ASME Section III activities in piping and supports for new nuclear plant design.
- Completed independent fatigue analysis benchmark of client software and procedures.
- Supported development of a piping fitness for service program for WRPS, (Washington River Protection Solutions), DOE contractor.
- Completed update of ASME Companion Guide for Section III NB/NC/ND Piping Design for the 4th edition.
- Completed an International Atomic Energy Agency (IAEA) mission to Borselle Plant in the Netherlands to support 3rd party review of the plant programs for plant life extension.
- Conducted 3rd party reviews for nuclear power plant owner design changes.
- Project management and technical responsibility for qualifying effects of waterhammer loads on Hanford Tank Farm piping systems.
- Developed structural evaluation criteria for Hanford Tank Farm piping system subjected to extreme loads and conducted staff training in utilization and basis of the criteria.
Energy Northwest, Design Authority, 1980 - 2011
- Oversaw technical adequacy and design basis compliance of all civil, structural and stress impacting changes for Columbia Generating Station.
- Developed plant design specifications and evaluation and analysis of plant specific components.
- Provided technical oversight on numerous Columbia Generating Station design projects, including heat exchanger replacement, major pump and valve replacement, and plant condenser internals modular replacement.
- ASME Class 1, 2, and 3 and B31.1 piping and pipe support analyses.
- Completed ASME Class 1 and 2 piping support optimizations to eliminate snubbers.
- Helped develop and complete review of life extension time limited ageing analyses accounting for reactor water environmental fatigue for the plant license renewal.
- Completed third party review of DOE waste vitrification plant piping design.
- Worked as part of an engineering team to complete risk Informed ISI programs for 20 international and domestic nuclear plants.
- Developed training materials for piping degradation assessment for international and domestic plants.
- Led setup and implementation of plant piping fatigue monitoring program.
- Assisted in plant power up-rate piping evaluations and vibration monitoring.
- Developed design specifications for ASME replacement valves, vessels, and pumps.
- Provided broke fix solutions for various plant structural and mechanical issues.
- Completed fitness for service evaluations for degraded piping and vessels.
Wright, Schuchart & Harbor, Senior Engineer, 1978 - 1981
Rockwell Hanford Operations, Plant and Design Engineer, 1975 - 1978
Warn Industries, Design Engineer for OEM equipment manufacturer, 1972 - 1975
Honors & Publications
- Registered Professional Engineer State of Washington, (Since 1982)
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASME)
- ASME Committee volunteer and member of various areas
- Vice Chair Committee on Construction of Nuclear Facility Components (BPV III)
- ASME Section III Subgroup on Design
- Past Chairman, ASME Section III Working Group on Piping
- Past Chairman Executive Committee Strategy and Project Management (BPV III)
- Working Group on Environmental Fatigue Evaluation Methods (BPVIII)
- Past Chairman Special Committee on Interpretations (BPV III)
- Past Member of ASME Section III Working Group on Supports
- Co-author of papers about the analysis of vibration and fatigue usage factors in piping systems.
- B.S. Mechanical Engineering, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR