- 30 years' experience in mechanical engineering in petroleum refineries.
- Coatings, insulation, and fireproof nonmetallic materials.
- Extensive experience in the draft and revision of company standards and best practice for nonmetallic materials.
Independent Consultant, Present
Undisclosed Company, Refinery, 1975 - 2010
Refractory Technical Specialist
- Assessed maintenance & new construction needs regarding refractory linings used in high temperature and highly abrasive services (FCCUs, Flexicoker, boilers and furnaces).
- Interpreted engineering standards, provided input into the drafting of company standards applicable to the above 4 disciplines.
- Issued refinery equipment specifications for gun-installed and cast vibrated refractory linings, including FCCU catalyst transfer lines and cyclones, boiler/furnaces, thermo-reactors, burners, flare tips, pressure vessels.
Nonmetallic Materials Specialist
- Acted as site specialist for nonmetallics including coating and linings, refractory, insulation, and fireproofing.
- Responsible for company engineering standards for the 3 disciplines.
- Provided technical consulting to all refineries.
- Evaluated and performed technical readiness assessments on new technologies.
- Served as site specialist for nonmetallics, including coatings and linings, refractories, insulation, and fireproofing.
- Participated in drafting of company standards applicable to these products.
- Providing specifications and best practice criteria for refinery projects, turnarounds, and routine maintenance.
- Served as engineering consultant at Baytown refinery, circuit refineries, and affiliates.
- Assessed maintenance and new construction needs for all refinery nonmetallic materials.
- Interpreted engineering standards.
Mechanical and Applications Engineering
- Troubleshooting and coordination of engineering of refinery equipment including heat exchangers, piping, furnaces, boilers, pumps and pressure vessels.
- Scheduled project-level mechanical design and engineering.
- Handled 4-7 projects concurrently, ranging from $50 thousand to $5 million.
- Trained in process control technology.
- Organized maintenance and project work during the shutdown of a sulfur conversion unit.
- Interpreted regulations and assessed compliance with engineering standards.
- Co-operative student engineer at the Baytown Refinery.
- Wrote computer program (Fortran IV) to calculate design thicknesses of furnace convection section tubesheets.
- Rerate calculations on shell and tube heat exchangers.
- Pressure drop assessment of seal oil system centrifugal pumps.
- General troubleshooting on an operating unit.
Honors & Publications
Academic and Professional Affiliations
- Houston Area Coating Society, Positions: President, Director and Chair of Scholarship
- National Assoc. of Corrosion Engineers (NACE)
- T6A Unit Committee on Coatings for Immersion Service (Past Secretary and Past Chair) Theme Coordinator (1 of 5) overseeing committees responsible for drafting and revising industry standards and informational reports in all areas of corrosion assessment and mitigation.
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA