- Amine gas treating, sulfur recovery, petroleum refinery planning and troubleshooting.
- Sulfur recovery and gas treating.
- Treatment of petroleum products to meet marketing specifications.
- Petroleum product compliance with applicable environmental regulations.
- Technical trainer to operations personnel in gas treatment and sulfur recovery.
- Flare studies on petroleum products.
Undisclosed Company, Senior Engineering Advisor, 2000 - Present
- Onsite assignments at various client locations performing process design review, onsite technical service, and process design specification preparation.
- As a technical consultant for a sulfur refinery expansion. Working with the owner and operator to meet reliable operation requirements at minimum capital expense.
- Provided onsite technical and operational startup support for the amine system, sulfur recovery unit, tail gas incinerator, and sulfur former at a remote refinery location.
- Identified technology to control mercaptan odor through installation of a condensate treating unit at a gas field location. Enabling the condensate to become a marketable product.
- Consulted on refinery revamp of gasoline treatment unit to increase sulfur removal to meet refinery gasoline blending target to include: Process selection. Technical and operating staff training. Startup assistance.
- Facilitated Mobil's global best practice network of 120 members for sulfur recovery, amine treating and product treatment.
- Identified and delivered a successful design for minimum capital capacity expansion of a refinery's amine systems and sulfur recovery units: Resulting in annual savings of $1 million in operating expenses.
- Provided technical advice and review for a refinery designed to increase the profitability of a natural gas field condensate stream.
Mobil Corporation, 1969 - 2000
Process Engineering and Technical Leadership Roles
- Provided technology leadership, support, and mentoring for Mobil's worldwide refining and chemical business units for sulfur recovery, gas treating, and light product treating.
- Held process engineer roles in the areas of hydroprocessing, HF Alkylation, Isomerization, process environmental, product treating, gas treating, and sulfur recovery.
- Provided five domestic refineries with process engineering input to ensure compliance with Benzene National Emissions Standards for Hazardous Air Pollutants.
- Recommended improved caustic management and spent caustic disposal practices, saving the refinery $9 million in new spent caustic disposal facility construction costs.
- Performed a refinery wide survey for sulfur, nitrogen oxides (SOx, NOx) and reactive organic gases (ROG) to determine compliance with the California South Coast Air Quality Management District Regional Clean Air Marketing.
- Providing in-house operator training on amine gas treating and sulfur recovery for gas production and refinery locations.
Honors & Publications
- Center for Waste Reduction Technologies of the American Institute of Chemical Engineer
- EPA Workshop for Process Simulation for Pollution Prevention
- Amine Best Practice Group
- B.S. Chemical Engineering, Drexel University, Philadelphia, PA